PDA

View Full Version : what games do i need for gmod?

Faika
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi all :)

I see Garry's Mod is on sale now and im thinking about buying it. I read this game requires that you own a source engine game. I have Left 4 Dead 2, is it enough to run the game? Or i have to buy other source games too? Also, how do most people play multi-player in gmod? Do they usually build stuff and then blow it up? Or you can do role playing as well? I love the idea that you can do pretty much anything in game because your imagination is the limit, but I mostly just want to play casual, silly fun games other people are hosting or making, is this common?

Thanks in advance

Killn4Christ
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Any one of these will be fine http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=16

lanux128
09-23-2010, 09:24 PM
is there any game-play in this game beyond the physics fun?

Zekiran
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM

You can do almost anything you wish. RP with people, create objects, explore maps, make comics with screenshots... It's a sandbox, that's pretty much what it's good at.

Faika
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Any one of these will be fine http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=16

so i don't have to buy half life 2 to play garry's mod, because i already have left 4 dead 2 which has source sdk, right? thanks

Zekiran
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
It is not the same sdk. The L4d games run on a slightly but noticeably different version of Source. I'd highly recommend just buying the Orange Box. Heck I even saw that at Target for 19.99. :D

skullzyer
09-24-2010, 04:38 AM
I only have Portal on my account. Does this qualify enough so I can buy GMod?

&T: Source
09-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Go with either Counter Strike: Source, or the Orange box. Or you'll have loads of pink and black squares.

LATTEH
09-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Go with either Counter Strike: Source, or the Orange box. Or you'll have loads of pink and black squares.

i would recomend getting both otherwise you won't have every thing you need (trust me without CSS you won't be able to enjoy Gmod 100%)

Kogitsune
09-24-2010, 06:15 AM
CSS is the most important game to gmod. A lot of people own it, and many gamemodes make use of CSS content heavily or exclusively.

skullzyer
09-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm just interested in buying it now since it's 50% off. Not really going to play it until I buy Valve Complete Pack one day...

I'm just asking if I'll be able to buy Gmod now.

lonefalcon
09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
l got portal was going to get it but its not letting the sale saying l dont have a game to run it and its the portal that was free when thay did that mac promo

funny thing is when l add portal to my cart it says "You already own this game"

skullzyer
09-24-2010, 06:49 AM
l got portal was going to get it but its not letting the sale saying l dont have a game to run it and its the portal that was free when thay did that mac promo

funny thing is when l add portal to my cart it says "You already own this game"

Well, there goes my hope. :(

-EDIT-

I can confirm that free Portal does not get you ability to buy Gmod. Too bad.

Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.

lubnius
09-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Do I need to install all source-engine-based-games or is it enough to have them in the library?

lonefalcon
09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
l think there problem here with portal on http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=FAQ bit down there is portal tbh this mite be steam side not counting the portal they give away before to let you buy Garry's Mod

Kogitsune
09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
If you got a free Source game ( HL2DM through the various offers, Portal during the promotion ), it doesn't come with Source SDK and thus does not count to meet the requirements. You have to own a license to the SDK to play gmod.

lonefalcon
09-24-2010, 07:58 AM
If you got a free Source game ( HL2DM through the various offers, Portal during the promotion ), it doesn't come with Source SDK and thus does not count to meet the requirements. You have to own a license to the SDK to play gmod.

so buying portal will do it then but it gives "You already own this game"

we not speaking about portal first slice but portal the full game

digitalanime
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
You can buy any of the Source games, but you cannot use Gmod in combination with the free Portal indeed. And if you got the free version you cannot buy it again.

I would advise to get Counterstrike Source, only sad thing is that there is no sale on the combo packs. The reason that I really advise you to get CSS as well is that the textures are used in many of the addons you are probably going to download from garrysmod.org. And there is no way you can get those textures for free.

Zombie.Crusher
09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
you can play "trouble in terrorist town", it's a gmod-mod or something like this :D

http://ttt.badking.net/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/trouble-in-terrorist-town

it's just brilliant ^^

Kogitsune
09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
so buying portal will do it then but it gives "You already own this game"

we not speaking about portal first slice but portal the full game

Back in May, Valve let everyone have the full portal for free. It did not come with an SDK license though, so if you got it from there, it is not valid for garrysmod. Buying it before or after, however, it is valid.

&T: Source
09-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Do I need to install all source-engine-based-games or is it enough to have them in the library?
They need to be installed to access all the content.