PDA

View Full Version : auto-improve workers erase your fortresses.

mattlohkamp
09-24-2010, 03:09 AM
I know it's a little pointless to complain about gameplay, since the people responsible for patching don't read stuff like this BUT I'm looking for a little solidarity in whining - anyone else annoyed by this?

I've strategically built a city at a continental choke point early in the game, added a fortress and a warrior (or whatever), and then later had my auto-improve workers roll in and cleverly tear down my carefully constructed fortress, and put something else - a farm, or a plantation, or whatever - instead.

My guess is that this behavior might actually be adjustable on our own, though - note that they don't do the same for improvements that great people make (academies, landmarks, etc) - maybe there's a way to make the workers stay away from fortresses too?

Thander
09-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Civ 4 had a setting in the options something like "workers will not destroy improvements on auto-manage". I have not found anything like that in Civ 5. I have been doing full manual control or just having them sleep.

sfade
09-24-2010, 03:39 AM
There's a line in the UserSettings.ini file:

[GameSettings]
AutoWorkersDontReplace = 0

Change it to a 1 and give it a shot, some have said it makes a difference and other have said they still have problems. I tried it and it did seem like they stopped messing up manually placed features.

mattlohkamp
09-26-2010, 05:38 AM
ah nice, I wish I could set some sort of 'only auto replace if the tile doesn't contain x/y/z,' but I'll give this a shot for the time being.

GenericPlayer
09-26-2010, 06:08 AM
I hope that option does work for you. Be aware though that I and others have noticed auto-improve builds way too many trade outposts and not enough farms, so I had to scrap my first game (was too late to rep the damage) and only using manual from now on

vile_things
09-26-2010, 07:37 AM
I hope that option does work for you. Be aware though that I and others have noticed auto-improve builds way too many trade outposts and not enough farms, so I had to scrap my first game (was too late to rep the damage) and only using manual from now on

Same here. I stopped auto-managing for my workers an hour or so into my first game. As soon as your gold income gets close to zero or becomes negative, workers build trading posts like crazy. At least they don't destroy forests and jungles that way, I guess because it came up as an issue during beta testing.

mobyslick
09-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Whining about auto-anything is like whining about your own lack of ability to manage it yourself. The auto stuff works by hidden rules we cannot see - who knows why it recommends a trading post when a farm is obviously what you want? Since we do not know the rules it works by, using that option is willingly bringing unpredictable results into your game. Don't complain, handle it yourself if you don't like what they do. And I daresay that if you don't want to manage the workers then perhaps another game is for you. You can only excel in Civ games if you micro manage everything, in my experience-based opinion.

darrenecm
09-26-2010, 09:35 AM
There's a line in the UserSettings.ini file:

[GameSettings]
AutoWorkersDontReplace = 0

Change it to a 1 and give it a shot, some have said it makes a difference and other have said they still have problems. I tried it and it did seem like they stopped messing up manually placed features.

That's hidden in an .ini file? That's poor design. Is it so difficult to just put all these hidden options in the Advanced Setup menu for the Setup Game option?

This is another example of backward steps from Civ IV interface design and game setting options when there really is no need. What is the point of hiding some of these options in .ini files?

Aesir Rising
09-26-2010, 09:43 AM
darrenecm, Civ IV had some stuff buried in .ini files as well. But not the worker options. In game, you could toggle separately whether they improved over existing improvements or cleared forests, as I recall. I do wish they'd expose all the settings through the in-game UI though. Add another 10 option panels if that's what it takes... they don't all need to be displayed at once or even immediately accessible through a single keystroke. So, yes, I agree an 'advanced' panel with sub-panels would be a good thing to have.

mobyslick: Experience doesn't account for everything, I suppose.