PDA

View Full Version : why do games even use windows live

cl_hulksmash
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM
ya thats pretty much it

pz

ninjaz1337
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
it's linked to xbox live accounts. The benefits = talk with xbox friends, GP (merged with xbox game GPs), crossplatform (varies on which game).

Too bad I don't have a 360, either way live doesn't bother me, but I do like having a way to connect with friends while playing a game (most of my friends have 360s). Otherwise, GFWL could be a pain, however, it hasn't bothered me yet (no errors so far, I own 6 games that use GFWL). I understand that, however, many people receive errors from live, one of those errors=different country, which can't be fixed

Exinjeru
09-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Microsoft pays you to make your game support GFWL, but you also have to spend extra time and effort to certify your game on windows.

Hobohodou
09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
As far as i can see from playing one MP session, it's a merged playerbase.

I like it being on GFWL, gives me a chance to join a session with my friends from work !

JamesHowlett
09-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Oh look, this thread again.

JereTHEend
09-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Microsoft pays you to make your game support GFWL, but you also have to spend extra time and effort to certify your game on windows.

Wrong, but especially with multiplat games the ACTUAL reasons are very understandable:

The hooks in GFWL are pretty similar to ones xbox has for it's guide and all. So, instead of using something completely different (even if steamworks is fine) on PC version and live in xbox (since it must be done) - You could use GFWL, have connectivity and all the stuff working fine, and minimize work load on the service side minimizing also errors across different versions.

GFWL is not perfect, but what is? It works, it is free for PC players, and there is something cool to get the Live way of connectivity (like in DR2 you get a note saying someone wants to join and just press button on controller to accept)

BADHIGEEN
09-28-2010, 01:58 AM
:o I dont like having more stuff to install windowslive blows and its just another password and login to forget and get jarateed over cause im old and cant remember.:confused:

JereTHEend
09-28-2010, 02:00 AM
:o I dont like having more stuff to install windowslive blows and its just another password and login to forget and get jarateed over cause im old and cant remember.:confused:

You must really suck in general management. I use at least good passwords that are safe but easy to remember - also you can just put autologin to it.

Instead of whining about stuff blaming product when reason is more likely PEBCAK virus.

If you just list things GFWL does, it does it all, does it well, not maybe in superior manner but is not intrusive either. All good, all works.

VividNinjaScar
09-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Baseless assumption.

I could say Valve pays people to use Steamworks, because it requires more effort than LIVE to impliment.

tottykid
09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
why do people make idiot posts about GFWL? It's about as intelligent a question.

Acid Caribou
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
GFWL offers cross platform achievements, and gives publishers "Steam" style online DRM without forcing users to install Steam. GFWL is the copy protection for retail copies of the games.

I like cross platform achievements personally, but I can see why some people wouldn't care.

Rautapalli
09-28-2010, 09:09 AM
It's probably easier to port 360 games that have multiplayer to PC, since the infrastructure is very similar to xbox live.

cl_hulksmash
09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
too bad gfwl is bad

stick with steamworks

WarLokk1980
09-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I prefer LIVE personally but I still don't mind Steamworks either.