PDA

View Full Version : Taking Over Cities In Gothic 4?

iZach
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I've never played a game in the Gothic series before. I heard in Gothic 3, I think that's the one, you could take over cities for factions. That sounds pretty cool imho. Can you take over cities for factions in Gothic 4?

stethnorun
09-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Just pick up Gothic 3, if you think it sounds cool. With the community enhancements, it's very worthy of the Gothic title now.

Zelgius
09-29-2010, 07:26 AM
My only qualms with Gothic 3, and the reason I've had trouble getting through it are:

1. The attack animation is endless, it's like you're spinning a baton or something.
2. I have essentially a super computer when it comes to gaming and this game still has performance issues. It stutters quite frequently. Granted some areas are worse than others.

stethnorun
09-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Infrequent stuttering is more about memory than video card or processor.

grimmtruth
09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
In gothic 3 it was literally a storyline element. You either took over ork occupied cities for rebels or conquered rebel outposts for the orks depending on which side you chose.

After playing the demo for gothic 4. Im on the fence on how much of an "open world" this will be. The quests seemed very "go here do this..".

And for the guy...

"2. I have essentially a super computer when it comes to gaming and this game still has performance issues. It stutters quite frequently. Granted some areas are worse than others."

This is probably your problem.

There is a huge bug with gothic 3. Essentially what it boils down to is, the default font for gothic 3 text causes huge memory usage (much more complicated than that but im not going into it).

There is a fix for it. Just replace the default font by renaming another font you get from somewhere else. Plenty of posts about it online, just google.

I run gothic 3 max settings and only hickup in HUGE city fights, not really much then either. Do this on a mid range machine.

jiminator
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
gothic 3 font bug? Never heard of that.
I found this thread for it, seems to have lots of great tips in general
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?p=2224473

My tendency would be that stuttering is caused when you turn around. The game does not do any level load so I think it is pulling textures for whatever new backgrounds you are seeing. People report the game runs great on SSD. I think i'll try installing a ramdisk, mirroring the gothic folder to it and then see how well it works. The latest patch with super high res textures is just mouth watering.

really I loved gothic 3, not just about the epic battles on wiping out cities (ie, first the orcs under the dome then the soldiers :D ) but also the multitudes of camps. Dragon age had some epic battles but nothing like gothic 3. I'll be replaying it after I finish replaying gothic 2. :)

I really hope that Gothic 4 can continue along similar lines although I have my doubts. Risen was similar, but really there were 3 areas. Gothic 3 had 3 continents with probably 9 cities each. I hit level 80 in that game and could have gone much higher... :D

iZach
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
So does anyone know if it's possible to take over cities in Gothic 4 for factions?

stethnorun
09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
So does anyone know if it's possible to take over cities in Gothic 4 for factions?

Given how linear the demo was I doubt we will get anything close to that "sandbox".

Zombiemonk
09-30-2010, 02:10 AM

Highly doubtful. If you watch the E3 presentation video the guy doing it keeps saying over and over again that "The previous gothic games were too hard" and that they wanted to make it easier for people.

I really doubt you'll see city sieges. If you want that, go play Mount & Blade Warband, or obviously Gothic 3

Selfdestructive
09-30-2010, 03:35 AM
i dont know why devs keep listening to these dumb♥♥♥♥s, DnD games have become noobfriendly aswell.

we wont ever see a game like baldur's gate series anymore, Too many noobs that have no place playing DnD games were saying those games were too difficult and from there came easy ♥♥♥♥ DnD games like Neverwinter night

In BGI you could start with a mage and have 2 to 4 HP, you could die with just 1 hit.(of course you will lvl up and HP gores up but it was all about knowing what to do)

Now its Gothics turn to suffer at the hands of noobs

jiminator
09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
lol, it does seem that way. gothic 3 would kill you left and right. both saves and loads were painfully slow. Forget to save for a couple of hours, then die. Oh that was pain. And I did that a lot. :D

Now you have the linear missions with a nice little compass and hud display. Seems like a lot of the exploration aspect is gone.

Previous games you could go pretty much anywhere, fight anything, probably die, but run away if you don't. The running appears to be gimped here so more of an indication this will be linear.