PDA

View Full Version : Wait wait wait... there's no multiplayer?

guitarxe
09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
When I hit multiplayer, for some reason it's asking me to go and configure a gamepad for player 2?? The ♥♥♥♥? How do I play with someone online?

RoGalik
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I am also very interested in this question. For what we paid $ 15, if the game without multiplayer?

Vigia
09-29-2010, 04:00 AM
The game doesn't have support for online coop, or multiplayer coop.
You can play single player (alone) or multiplayer with a second controller.

No chance to play it online for now -.-

tomsen
09-29-2010, 04:09 AM
I am also very interested in this question. For what we paid $ 15, if the game without multiplayer?

That is a good question. Everybody thought there is online coop in it, but it's not, it's only local!

They'll patch it in, but when? And will it cost something?

Zhijn
09-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Gah i just bought this thinking i'd be able to play with my m8's online.

And i thought this because of the store page:
"First ever co-op multiplayer action/adventure game featuring Lara Croft."

What a load of crap. =(

w0bbl3r
09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Yeah, it seems yet another developer has ripped people off. Thankfully (for me at least) I got the demo and realised this before I spent my money, but I am sorely dissapointed.
Bad enough that the lego star wars games only do ♥♥♥♥ty local coop, but now this, after being promised MP coop, then to find its only local. B4st4rds, thats all I can say.
I am sick of devs not delivering on their promises, or just plain releasing rubbish and overcharging for it.
If they dont release full coop, I am NOT buying this game, I suggest everyone hoping for coop does the same, or they will never change

ASecondOpinion
09-29-2010, 05:43 AM
They have said and apologised for the online co-op not being available straight away, but they have promised that it will be a feature in the future. They have been having trouple with implementing it but are not going to give up on it.

It is a feature they want to be working perfectly and brilliantly before it goes live.

Smokindan50
09-29-2010, 05:45 AM
This is a top-tier company making the game, guys. They're not going to drop the feature - especially as they're bringing it to the other platforms too. We'll also get the first DLC they release for free (it'll probably be skins or new weapons.)

UltimateO
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
We'll also get the first DLC they release for free (it'll probably be skins or new weapons.)

Could you link me to the source please?

Ryuubei
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
For ages they've been saying there was no MP function because of tech dificulties, but they were working on it and hopped to get it out soon.

Frankly ♥♥♥♥♥ing about it is just plain old wrong IMO. Ask yourself this, which would you have prefered. They released it with a buggy, probably unplayable MP. OR, Admit the MP isn't working yet, release the SP as it is and give everyone the first DLC free as compensation.

Frankly i think the uproar would have been worse if they'd released it with a broken MP function, and they atleast admited BEFORE release that the gam wouldn't have the MP ability.

Finally, it's not like you paid a whopping 30-40 quid for the game guys, it was a cheap game. for the tenner it cost i think it's a pretty damn good game. Not great by any means, but good enough. Not to mention you get a free game with it, which still sells for more than what you paid for the main game

guitarxe
09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I'd have preferred if they had clearly stated in the game's store page (the place that matters) that multiplayer is not online, instead of tooting it off as a great co-op game. It's beyond absurd to just say "oh, well they've said a few times in some interviews somewhere that there's no online", and they've never made it clear for the actual buyer of the game.

And this isn't the first game that does that. They just slap multiplayer on it and then when people realize multiplayer doesn't mean online the devs just try to butter their way through it. This kind of weaseling just instantly breaks my trust in the devs. I've loved all the other Tomb Raider games, and I loved the Hitman series from Eidos, too. But this little stunt means I'm staying clear away from these people in the future. There are plenty of other players on the market now, especially some indie devs that are producing top notch games that beat AAA titles hands down, so doing crap like this, in these times... well, they just can't afford it.

Tyranius2
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I just hope they don't charge for the multiplayer integration. That would be very unethical.

ASecondOpinion
09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I just hope they don't charge for the multiplayer integration. That would be very unethical.

I'm very confident that it'll be a free update.

SKiLLY2
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
For ages they've been saying there was no MP function because of tech dificulties, but they were working on it and hopped to get it out soon.

Frankly ♥♥♥♥♥ing about it is just plain old wrong IMO. Ask yourself this, which would you have prefered. They released it with a buggy, probably unplayable MP. OR, Admit the MP isn't working yet, release the SP as it is and give everyone the first DLC free as compensation.

Frankly i think the uproar would have been worse if they'd released it with a broken MP function, and they atleast admited BEFORE release that the gam wouldn't have the MP ability.

Finally, it's not like you paid a whopping 30-40 quid for the game guys, it was a cheap game. for the tenner it cost i think it's a pretty damn good game. Not great by any means, but good enough. Not to mention you get a free game with it, which still sells for more than what you paid for the main game

Not everyone checks the steam forums or the game's forums on a regular basis. Should they? I think they should do research before buying a new game but not everyone thinks the same. So, when a game on the steam store advertises "online co-op" etc. it should have that otherwise it's false advertising and that's illegal.

What they should have done was either remove that info from the store page or put one of those big notices (the ones just under the pictures - for example http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190/ saying there's no DX9 or WinXP support) explaining that multiplayer/co-op will not be available on launch.

MADDOGGE
09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
It's a well known fact that the game shipped without the MP portion of the game with a "promise" of it coming later. I still think Eidos should have had to say on the Store page that it does not include MP yet. Especially since they made co-op such a big part of the promo.

PS: Oh silly me doing that might cost sales.

IDED2010
09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
this is fine and all but where is the gamepad support for local co-op, i have a controller, it verifys in xp but the game just says disabled in the options and will not allow me to select a gamepad for either player... so does this mean there is actually no co-op whatsoever? as I understood the online bit but no co-op at all????

Zombiemonk
09-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh wow, I was just about to buy this and figured I'd come to this forum to see if people liked the online play...guess I'm glad I did.

Definite no-buy for me. If I can't play it online with my friends, then I won't buy it.

elixenie
09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Welp, something else to play on my PS3, I guess.

Or does it only have online co-op on the consoles?

ASecondOpinion
10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Welp, something else to play on my PS3, I guess.

Or does it only have online co-op on the consoles?

There is NO online co-op for any of the versions at the moment. They are working to get online co-op for all 3 versions.

mthe1337one
10-01-2010, 01:23 AM
afaik, even the 360 version of the game is getting a free title update for online co-op functionality.

wouldn't be surprised if the PC/ps3 versions get patched too.

Spylander
10-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Crystal Dynamics is the developer of this game and they are an amazing developer.

They made games like Grid, Dirt and Dirt 2.

They just released the MP online portion of the game for the Xbox360 version and said that they were planning on releasing the MP online portion of the PS3 and PC versions of the game soon after launch.

It shouldn't be more than a month before we see online MP.

ASecondOpinion
10-01-2010, 02:30 AM
They just released the MP online portion of the game for the Xbox360 version

Oh right. I thought the xBox version was still offline only. So, it's good that it's not as they are clearly making good progress :)

Leak
10-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Crystal Dynamics is the developer of this game and they are an amazing developer.

Uh, no - that was Codemasters (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12840/).

Vigia
10-01-2010, 02:31 PM

lol wrong :D

elixenie
10-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Still and all, the recent Tomb Raider games are nothing to sneer at.

Though I do wish they'd sell the damned Kain franchise back to Silicon Knights...