PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Load Borderlands

Arinoth
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Every time i try to run the game i get this error:

"Failed to enter MenuMap: Failed to load package 'MenuMap.'. Please check the logs for errors.

Then it lists a different amount of errors from borderlands and 2 in c:\windows\syswow64\kernbase.dll

I am running windows 64 bit and no other game on steam has this issue and this only started after the latest patch went live. I have copied over a backup of my old game and it runs into this issue was steam auto-patches it. I have done defrag and verify and they come up clean, then i run the game it and crashes still.

seseorang
09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Were you able to play the game before the patch on this version of Windows? (you only say 64bit Windows of which there is 64bit XP, Vista and Seven)

Arinoth
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes i was able to play the game earlier in the week. Sorry i forgot to mention that it was Windows 7 64 bit.

Arinoth
10-02-2010, 09:09 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8489/doesntworkc.png

flava_clown
10-02-2010, 01:02 PM
have you used willow tree?

well it looks like there is a file missing, strange that verifying the game cache doesn't help. have you tried to delete a random file to force steam to do something?

in another thread someone had a wrong borderlands.exe maybe you want to try to delete this one first.

Arinoth
10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Nope, never used willow tree.

After trying everything i mentioned a few times and other semi-fix attempts i decided to nuke and pave. With a fresh install of windows and 1.40 borderlands works. It seems for one reason or another the patch and/or something working together on my previous install may have corrupted/screwed up one of the two dlls that borderlands error is complaining about (i replaced the first one, couldnt replace the second one as it was write protected).

Thought i'd tell people how i fixed it incase others run into this and want to save hours of troubleshooting (took me 15 mins to reinstall windows 7, thank god for the 1366 platform and ssds)

Gvaz
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I can't get it to work now either.

I keep getting this game is unavailable but it worked later in the week.

Steam keeps trying to download something for it but it never downloads.

flava_clown
10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
change the download location in the steam settings

Gvaz
10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I tried that.

I actually just fixed it by:

1. close steam
2. rename borderlands folder
3. start steam and the download started by itself and finished
4. shut down steam again, deleted the new folder after copying over to the old one, renamed old one
5. started steam, and I could play the game.

So...it couldn't download because of the files in the folder that already existed? what?

flava_clown
10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
might be a permission problem? ...or something was marked as "read only" or "in use"...

Gvaz
10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I checked and it wasn't read only, and nothing else should have been using it. It was also the only game doing this.

flava_clown
10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
do you use AVG by any chance?

Gvaz
10-03-2010, 05:19 PM
No, NOD32, either way I fixed it.

sstuber
10-04-2010, 12:44 AM
have you used willow tree?

well it looks like there is a file missing, strange that verifying the game cache doesn't help. have you tried to delete a random file to force steam to do something?

in another thread someone had a wrong borderlands.exe maybe you want to try to delete this one first.

i have that problem!
can you help me with that?