PDA

View Full Version : Logged in Steam users Earth rotating globe

Grue12
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Valve, you can make something new on Steam Statistics page:

An Earth globe (rotating) or Earth map with cities and places and countries where the most users are logged in from should be marked with some color. That way we will see where on Earth people are using Steam at the current moment.

I've seen such Earth globe (collecting IP-address statistics from around our planet) on some blogs and homepages. It showed only "stars" (bright dots) from recent IP-addresses but you could make a color gradation or circles of different sizes (or a mix of both) to show where users are connecting from.

Or at least make an animated .gif showing user logins around the Earth for an usual day.

ozgeek
10-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Won't work. The IP doesn't always show which city/town a steam user is. For example, my IP thinks I'm in Brisbane, QLD, when infact I'm 6 hours north of it.

Plasma
10-01-2010, 06:44 AM
It's close enough I would think :)

I've seen a video of an LCD screen at Blizzard that showed the earth as a world map with white lights on the surface, representing online players in real time of people playing WoW - looked pretty cool.

Grue12
10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Plasma, yes, I'd like to see something like that! BTW, where can I find that Blizzard video?

Plasma
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8WD1CuAsDU#t=1m58s onward shows a green map but then a day/night map which looks pretty funky.

There was another video that had that day/night map in the studio's lobby; but I can't find it.