PDA

View Full Version : Friends list options

ZZUBYTTIHS
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Hello all :)
I wanted to see if it would be possible to get some simple features put into steam friends to help manage our lists.

Two things would be realy nice.

1. To be able to nickname someone in your friends list.
I find it hard to keep track of who's who due to players changing names and steam avatar's all the time. If we could nickname someone when adding them, I would be able to tell who is who no matter what they change.

2. If the first suggestion gets used this may not be needed but it would be nice. Having an option to make groups within our friends list. An example would be I make 3 group sections, 1st group would be for L4D2 players, 2nd would be for CSS players, and 3rd would be for my TFC players. They could work with drop down lists to save space in our friends lists.

This would let us sort our players better, I ran a TFC clan for a little, and the biggest problem I had was figuring out who was who in my list so I could invite them.
If I had an option to sort the players into a group called "clan members" this invites and finding players would be a snap.

I know this is a feature from other IM's but it's a great feature I think we could all use it.

Please steam, help me sort out my list of nonstop name changing :D

What do you guys think?

MasterPlaster
10-02-2010, 04:42 PM
love both of the ideas, especially the 2nd.

Even having their steam account usernames next to the player names of friends would help out LOTS!

megamike360
10-03-2010, 11:13 AM
YES YES, and YES!!! Even the most basic games have this system in them, why not the entire Steam UI which is huge????

hlstriker
11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Bumping this thread because it sounds like a really good idea. I'm sure many other steam users have 100+ friends and keeping track of everyone is hard enough without them changing their alias/avatar.

I know the 'View Aliases' options exists but it would be so much easier if we could see their new alias and the nickname we assign them as we browse the friends list.

Hopefully others bump this thread too as it is a great idea!

WeakAssNewb
11-18-2010, 08:14 AM
For suggestion #2, when you say "group" do you mean like a gaming guild or like friend list sub-categories? I know MySpace & FaceBook has the category feature, which I usually categorize people as High School, College, Co-worker, & other.

As for suggestion #1, rather then just labeling people with your own nickname, how about a notes feature, where you can write your own notes about anything regarding the person. For me, I would do the name thing & I would write down what timezone the person is in & when the person is usually available.

ZZUBYTTIHS
11-19-2010, 07:13 AM
For suggestion #2, when you say "group" do you mean like a gaming guild or like friend list sub-categories? I know MySpace & FaceBook has the category feature, which I usually categorize people as High School, College, Co-worker, & other.

As for suggestion #1, rather then just labeling people with your own nickname, how about a notes feature, where you can write your own notes about anything regarding the person. For me, I would do the name thing & I would write down what timezone the person is in & when the person is usually available.

Part 1

Some sort of drop down style sub folders would be nice, not like steam groups where you have to invite someone. this would be for clients to group their friends as they like.
I don't have mayspace or facebook, but I do have yahoo messanger, something like what yahoo has would be great.

Part 2

That would be nice too, combine the 2 we got a winner :)
Either suggestion would be a great help, my steam list is such a mess, it's frustrating sometimes

D~Tard
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I think both of these would be huge. For the second option I'd probably do "People I play with" and "Everyone else" since my friends list is pretty much composed of L4D.

Mr Pink 81
04-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Totally agree with the 1. point.
Valve have to solve this problem, it's a big hole in steam.

keraoc
04-21-2011, 02:31 AM
+1 For grouping players.

But i'm not agree with point 1. Having friends changing names and pictures, it's what happens everyday on Msn, Gtalk, ICQ, Skye, etc etc. At this point, why allowing nicknames if your friends will never seen it ? Why just display a real name ? Tell your friend yo be smart in their nicknames. A nickname shouldn't change too often, and must be signifiant. like in real life, if you change your name everyday, it's going to be hard to follow tracks. PLus, there is an option (when you click on the arrow near the picture) which offer you to displays alias.

I would add a few ideas on your list :

- Sorting options : it would be great to hide/Show offline friends, hide/show in-games friends (When you know who is online, you know who is offline)
- Groups : Remove-it from friends lists. I don't see the point off groups in the friends list. Anyway, if i join the group of "Toki Tori" (it's an exemple), it's because i want news about the game, share experience or search help on the chat. It's things you do OUTSIDE the friends lists. A friend list, his a friend lists. Plus, in friends lists you have the click on the group, choose an option, and you go somewhere else. What's the point ? I would prefer have an other windows, near to the friends list, to do it.

Thanks for listening my ideas !

Mr Pink 81
04-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Isn't a problem only of nick changing.
I have many friends knowed on forums where they use different nick from steam.
Anyway MSN (for example) live you free to overwrite or not a friend's nickname.
If your girlfriend love to change avatar&else it's your problem.
But I don't have my gf on steam so I don't give a ♥♥♥♥ on others avatar&else, I just want to know who is the *choose a word* writing/inviting me with a new shining nick&avatar.
Without scanning between options & list of ex-nick.
Can you let me have this?

AceBear12345
04-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Hello all :)
I wanted to see if it would be possible to get some simple features put into steam friends to help manage our lists.

Two things would be realy nice.

1. To be able to nickname someone in your friends list.
I find it hard to keep track of who's who due to players changing names and steam avatar's all the time. If we could nickname someone when adding them, I would be able to tell who is who no matter what they change.

2. If the first suggestion gets used this may not be needed but it would be nice. Having an option to make groups within our friends list. An example would be I make 3 group sections, 1st group would be for L4D2 players, 2nd would be for CSS players, and 3rd would be for my TFC players. They could work with drop down lists to save space in our friends lists.

This would let us sort our players better, I ran a TFC clan for a little, and the biggest problem I had was figuring out who was who in my list so I could invite them.
If I had an option to sort the players into a group called "clan members" this invites and finding players would be a snap.

I know this is a feature from other IM's but it's a great feature I think we could all use it.

Please steam, help me sort out my list of nonstop name changing :D

What do you guys think?
+ 1 :)

keraoc
04-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Can you let me have this?

Hey, stay cool, i'm not trying to take away this things of you !! It's just a peaceful chat.
I don't see the real advantage here. Sometimes, i look at a name and i don't know who is it, it happen all the time, on Msn, on Steam, on Facebook, on my phone ... Most of my friends don't change their name all day long, i see a name i know ho he is.

Like i said, there is always the menu-option "Show alias" who allow you to see all the nicknames someone have. I don't judge it usefull to me, that's doesn't mean is not usefull at all ! It's just my way of dealing friends list.

But i agree with on the grouping things, and on the fact that Steam user is different of forum user. It's really annoying, and we should be able to "join" the two community together (and with a ring join all ....... heu no wait, that's something else).

Mr Pink 81
04-21-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't see the real advantage here.

That's what I'm tring to make you see.
If you have a "fixed" number of friends that's good enough, but when you play many games and visit many forums you have to spend more time on click on "Show alias" (hoping that at least one you know it) than play...

Just this week someone added me and neither the nick or any of his damned alias means something to me.
I had to ask directly "who the hell are you?" and he change so often his nick that I want to remove him from the list.

The simple "customize nick" feature can solve all this annoyance.

ICQ, MSN,... have all this feature and let the people who want to continue to let friends nick untouched.

P.S.: I'm sorry for my bad english, every rude tone is unintended....nearly :D

ZZUBYTTIHS
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Even something as simple as when you put the mouse over a persons name, a box pops up with a custom name or message we can edit.

So when I meet John Doe, I can make a custom tag (John Doe L4D2 Not a rager!) now I know who he is just by putting my mouse over his new name. this way John can use any name he/she wants but we still know who they are, and we can still see the new name they wanted us all to see.

As for the alias built into steam, for me it never keeps track of names, mabye the last 2 they used, but no history. either it's the way I install my game (I make a backup of steam) or the way I clean my PC, but I never see all the names people used. I just want a way to name someone so I always know who they are.

I have lost alot of good friends in my list trying to clean it up, so now I gave up and let it build till I hit the max lol

Catch_ME
04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Apparently I have been agreeing to almost every Friend Suggestion since the Steam Friends system needs a complete revamp.

MsSnappy
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
This idea is also being discussed in the (more popular) following thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713270

Please post your support for this idea there, too! Thanks