PDA

View Full Version : Retail-key "upgrade" to steam digital.

Mekast
10-03-2010, 07:01 AM
The suggestion is simple:
Add an option to "upgrade" your retail key to steam one.
It doen't matter if you'll have to purchase the game again via Steam-store for full price. It'll be nice to have such an option for steam games. Cause territory restrictions could be avoided without creating a new account for this game and loosing everything you earned (TF2 for example).

Nekomancer
10-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Somehow i don't understand the point of your post. What exactly are you proposing?

kav2k
10-03-2010, 07:25 AM
An option to pay additional money to lift the regional restrictions on certain retail purchases.
I second this motion. I'm willing to pay the full price again for that.

L.o.D.
10-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I seriously doubt this would ever be implemented since you would be paying to bypass a specific country's laws.
I think that in itself would be illegal.

Mekast
10-03-2010, 07:51 AM
An option to pay additional money to lift the regional restrictions on certain retail purchases.
I second this motion. I'm willing to pay the full price again for that.
Yes, I wanted to suggest this.
I seriously doubt this would ever be implemented since you would be paying to bypass a specific country's laws.
I think that in itself would be illegal.
You got it a bit wrong, I don't want the game to be available in a country if it's forbidden/not available via Steam there.
I just want to be able to change retail steamgame key to steam-store one.

For example: You move from country A to country B. You have a retail version from country A, but it's key is restricted in country B, so you are unable to launch it there.You'll have to create a new account specially for this game. You won't be able to buy "worldwide key" from steam-store, cause you already have this game on your existing account.

What I want is: you will be able to buy it for your existing account and it will just change the "type" of key you have there without loosing saves, achievements, items, etc. and having to log on to another account specially to play this game.

L.o.D.
10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
If you have a key that does not work in a specific country, creating another account for that game won't change anything. Not sure why you stated that.
It won';t matter what account the game is on, if the account is logged in a restricted copuntry, the game won't work, period.

Are you wanting to have, for example, a full version key switch to the censored version depending on the country so that it will still work?

kav2k
10-03-2010, 08:43 AM
You misunderstand.
I'm speaking about The Orange Box here, for instance.

I can buy it via Steam and get the normal, unrestricted version. From where I live.

But a retail one sold here is cheaper, but cannot be run outside my territory. It is otherwise absolutely identical to the Store one.

I don't want to lose my stats / have a hassle of using two accounts to overwrite that retail license. I contacted Support about a possibility of terminating a retail subscription so I could just buy a Steam Store one, but they rejected this request.

Mekast
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Are you wanting to have, for example, a full version key switch to the censored version depending on the country so that it will still work?
No, I just want to be able to buy a "steam-store key" for the game while I already have a "retail-keyed" game on the same account (so the game become steam-store purchased, not retail). You have to create a new account today, if you want the same game from steam-store (with no territory restrictions).

And as kav2k said:
You misunderstand.
I'm speaking about The Orange Box here, for instance.

I can buy it via Steam and get the normal, unrestricted version. From where I live.

But a retail one sold here is cheaper, but cannot be run outside my territory. It is otherwise absolutely identical to the Store one.

I don't want to lose my stats / have a hassle of using two accounts to overwrite that retail license. I contacted Support about a possibility of terminating a retail subscription so I could just buy a Steam Store one, but they rejected this request.

L.o.D.
10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
So you guys think that having it become a steam key, it will get around any restrictions?
Games sold on steam have the same region restrictions as retail games do.

lavacano201014
10-03-2010, 11:05 AM
...I think I get it.

OK, this is what I think they're saying.

I live in Washington. There are two ways I can get TF2 - online, via Steam, and over at Big Al's Game Emporium. The end resulting game is identical no matter which way I get it. The Steam purchase costs a little more $ but I can use it anywhere in the Americas, as well as Africa, Asia, and most of Europe. Grabbing it from Big Al's is cheaper, but once I register the key I can only use it in the state of Washington. that's not really true but it helps the explanation, see?

So what he wants to do is take the purchase from Big Al's (that he can only use in his state or province) and turn it into a Steam version (that he can use in 85% of the world) without having to make a new Steam account and lose all his saves, achievements, etc

Mekast
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
...I think I get it.

OK, this is what I think they're saying.

I live in Washington. There are two ways I can get TF2 - online, via Steam, and over at Big Al's Game Emporium. The end resulting game is identical no matter which way I get it. The Steam purchase costs a little more $ but I can use it anywhere in the Americas, as well as Africa, Asia, and most of Europe. Grabbing it from Big Al's is cheaper, but once I register the key I can only use it in the state of Washington. that's not really true but it helps the explanation, see?

So what he wants to do is take the purchase from Big Al's (that he can only use in his state or province) and turn it into a Steam version (that he can use in 85% of the world) without having to make a new Steam account and lose all his saves, achievements, etc
Yes! That's it.

lavacano201014
10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Ah! Well, I support it then.

megamike360
10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I think you shouldn't even have to pay, it should automatically do this when you transfer your game to steam via CD key.

kav2k
10-04-2010, 04:29 AM
I think you shouldn't even have to pay, it should automatically do this when you transfer your game to steam via CD key.

Well, that's the point of cheaper retail prices: they're tailored to specific markets but must be restricted so they won't be resold elsewhere.

I'm willing to pay full Steam price again to get rid of that stigma, but Support told me they couldn't help me. *le sigh*

Mekast
10-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, that's the point of cheaper retail prices: they're tailored to specific markets but must be restricted so they won't be resold elsewhere.

I'm willing to pay full Steam price again to get rid of that stigma, but Support told me they couldn't help me. *le sigh*

Yep. Same here.