PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! GPU ISSUE?

Zedfragg
10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else is having an issue like this.

I'm getting 60+ fps but I can't seem to find any option for vsync (Freshly formatted computer without ati tray tools)

With this in mind my GPU is at a constant 100% usage as it's rendering the frames as fast as possible even when exceeding my monitors refresh rate.

As of this moment I have been unable to find a vsync option and this issue has the potential to be a STARCRAFT II like issue whereas it BURNS OUT GPU's so BARE THIS IN MIND BEFORE RUNNING THE DEMO FOR EXTENDED AMOUNTS OF TIME.

I cannot neither confirm or deny this problem without feedback from you guys though so go grab yourself GPU-Z and keep the "sensors" tab open with "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background" TICKED.

That way whilst you are playing it'll keep refreshing the temp/gpu usage graph.

My graphics card for the record is a XFX HD 5850 1GB @ stock speeds, the card never operates at above 60c however with Gothic 4 open my temp hit 74c before I realised the fan was at 100% and opened my temp programs.

Good luck people.
I hope this can either help you guys or save some hardware.

Tomer Gdaliahu
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I had the same problem today, all of a sudden my graphics card fan got to a 100%.
The card itself got to a 100 degrees. Its a GTX470.

Big warning sign people.

Zedfragg
10-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Big warning sign indeed, I suggest anyone with an Nvidia card should FORCE vsync and anyone with an ATI card should use ATI Tray Tools to FORCE vsync.

Post back any information you can gather please as this'll help prospective buyers and help the developers in fixing the problem before release hopefuly.

@Tomer Gdaliahu

I'd strongly advice you to send an email to support and ask them what the issue is and explain that it is impossible that this is a cooling issue.
The GTX4** series hasn't been out too long so the heatsink/thermal paste on the reference cooling system won't be a problem yet and dust isn't a problem as we all clean our computers heatsinks/fan spaces (hopefully)

Post back with any replies you get :)

MrBigglesworth8
10-06-2010, 06:25 AM
The game seems to be a console-to-PC port. It would explain a lot to be honest.

Askjosh
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
why is it almost all games released now days are friggen console ports. if that is the case then I wont be buying this game. I refuse to support companies that do console ports just because its cheaper.

console ports in the long run ending with more problems and bugs than a game that was made from the ground up for a PC. if you don't believe me then look at worms reloaded and MTG: DOTP

MrBigglesworth8
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Because one of the biggest targets of the gaming industry nowadays is the average 13 year old Xbawks squeaker. ArcaniA is certainly a game built for that kind of player. Made obvious by the lack of video options, linear shallow gameplay, etc.

I havnt played the previous Gothic games but im not new to seeing a franchise capsize because of developers and publishers wanting to cash in on Xbots. *cough* Final Fantasy and Call Of Duty *cough*

Askjosh
10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
lmao @ xbots you totally hit it right on the nail. from now on when ever i refer to xbox airconditioned youths I will call them xbots.

on a side note the one game I am very much interested in playing is Two Worlds II. I just hope that it is not an xbox port and that they actually took the time to make sure that it takes full advantage of the PC hardware which is 50 times better than what you would get on a xbox console.

Zedfragg
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Ahhh I forgot how stupidly elitist PC gamers are...
And can't help but agree about most "xbots" as you put it. Just remember console gamers aren't all like that, I myself was a hardcore PC fanatic but I'm now mixed consoles and PC lol

Although back on topic. Yes it could be a "porting" issue but Starcraft II had the same issue and that wasn't a port so it isn't just ports that suffer this issue.

It's most probably either a driver issue or a developer ♥♥♥♥ up...But don't go attacking this developer for "making a crappy port" until you KNOW it's a port and graphics settings are a bad reference to use.
Does it have native X360 controller for windows support? if not...It's probably not a port ;)

Anyways back on topic, we are talking about GPU usage issues.

Zedfragg
10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Oh and if you're gonna attack the developers attack them for their use of over-the-top DRM (According to the offical forums the DRM they tend to use is an absolute mess though I cannot confirm nor deny this)

Shinuz
10-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Does it have native X360 controller for windows support? if not...It's probably not a port ;)

As a matter of fact, yes it does have native x360 controller support :p

Askjosh
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM
As a matter of fact, yes it does have native x360 controller support :p

I smell a port and it stinks :o

Bloodgrave
10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else is having an issue like this.

I'm getting 60+ fps but I can't seem to find any option for vsync (Freshly formatted computer without ati tray tools)

With this in mind my GPU is at a constant 100% usage as it's rendering the frames as fast as possible even when exceeding my monitors refresh rate.

As of this moment I have been unable to find a vsync option and this issue has the potential to be a STARCRAFT II like issue whereas it BURNS OUT GPU's so BARE THIS IN MIND BEFORE RUNNING THE DEMO FOR EXTENDED AMOUNTS OF TIME.

I cannot neither confirm or deny this problem without feedback from you guys though so go grab yourself GPU-Z and keep the "sensors" tab open with "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background" TICKED.

That way whilst you are playing it'll keep refreshing the temp/gpu usage graph.

My graphics card for the record is a XFX HD 5850 1GB @ stock speeds, the card never operates at above 60c however with Gothic 4 open my temp hit 74c before I realised the fan was at 100% and opened my temp programs.

Good luck people.
I hope this can either help you guys or save some hardware.

I had the same problem today, all of a sudden my graphics card fan got to a 100%.
The card itself got to a 100 degrees. Its a GTX470.

Big warning sign people.

You can force vsync in the video card driver settings for all games. Even if game doesn't have vsync option in game it will be in vsync. Vsync (or forced vsync) is mandatory on some games that just run away with endless graphics. I do agree I hate games that have those tendencies... but its easily fixable without risking your hardware.

If you have a fan speed app like afterburner (or the older variant...rivatuner) so you have your fan crank up to 100% at high temps; that loud fan noise should be a big audible alarm that you should save your game log and and sort the problem out before you toast your card. I usually have my cards set to be at 100% fan speed at >75C degrees.

With vsync (and afterburner automated fan speeds) I usually always run less than 80C (typically around 60-75C). Without it, on a handful of poorly optimized games, it can get very hot very quick.

I try to typically not use the forced vsync setting in my nvidia control panel, but if I am playing a game I love that needs it... I do.

Anyway... just letting people know that option is there if you were not aware.