PDA

View Full Version : Any good?

zoinks99
10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I think I remember this being reviewed as a pretty good Myst-like (http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Aura/AuraReview.shtm). I might give it a try. Has anybody played it?

ShadowHawk81
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I purchased it when I saw the low price, already knowing it isn't that great a game. But I like figuring out puzzles, so I figured I'd give it a try, just to see how good they were. One problem is saving games seems bugged. Not good for a Puzzle Adventure game. If that can't get fixed I might just uninstall it.

Reviewers have said that Aura not only feels like Myst, but it's almost like they took ideas from Myst Lore, and made it into their own game. I've played all Myst games and read the novels, so it really does seem that way. For example, those worlds Myst fans call Ages, Aura from the intro movie gets into a very similar storyline. Only difference, is they don't use books with Ancient D'ni writing, etc.

music scores aren't nearly as good as what Myst games offer. I thought it almost sounded like something like Bejewelled, in the first world. Visually though, the game is pleasing. Although, most machine structures are very abstract and simple looking materials, for what they are meant for. So, unlike Myst, it can be challenging to figure out exactly what you are looking at. In about 45 minutes I found all corners of the first world, except for those not uncovered yet. Puzzles are fun, but sometimes annoying, like most in the genre.
Another thing that reviewers have said is that the game feels more like a puzzle game than an adventure. I haven't been far enough into the game to agree with that yet, but even Myst games sometimes feel more like a Puzzle than adventure. I guess its the support of all the in depth storyline, that make Myst feel more like an adventure. With all the journals, books, and character encounters. Aura has characters too, but like I said, don't know the game good enough.

Biggest difference here, is even though the game is more puzzle than adventure, you have an inventory to carry items for solving puzzles. Problem is some items you make no sense of at all, but fortunatly you get a journal with some sketches for hints.

ShadowHawk81
10-06-2010, 09:46 AM
But thats just me as a Myst Lore fan guy.

If you never played Myst, or really understood it, Aura might be something neat to you.

another key difference is about gaining immortality in Aura, whereas in Myst your role is to help stop false god-like people from taking over races on different Ages and gaining the power of Age Writing, for purposes of destruction and power. Being into Myst lore, the monk like characters at the start of Aura reminded me a lot of the greed that some Ancient D'ni rulers had.

It's just the mention of creating Ages through ancient powers and the style of gameplay, that really makes it so similar to Myst.

JP_Russell
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Shadowhawk, I notice that the thread you had up about your saving issue is gone. Did you figure out what the problem was and delete the thread yourself? Just curious, as I'm interested in buying this game through Steam, but not if I can't save my game.

Goteki-45
10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Same here, I'd like to know about any potential save issues before deciding whether to purchase.

PenCapChew
10-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I am personally not having any saving issues. I wish I could run the resolution higher (I want to use 1920x1080) but it runs fine on my machine (Core 2 Duo E8500, Radeon HD 4780 X2, Windows Vista SP2.

bad.lsps
10-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Havent had any issue with saves.

ShadowHawk81
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but as you read from the others, saves do work afterall.

I had a problem where they didn't show up the first time I was playing.

I loaded the game the next day, and there they were.

The game is turning out to be entertaining. It's one of those puzzle games, where you have to look closely, and I mean closely at every corner you can think of, as the game doesn't always hint you. I was stuck on one puzzle for over an hour because I couldnt find 1 darn item, that was in a well hidden area. Also sometimes it seems the puzzles work backwards to what you think they should. One pet-peeve I have is when you know something should work in some way, but doesn't at least let you try using it, and say you are missing some kind of step. Causing you to wander aimlessly. Everything I have seen so far seems like architectural and even puzzle ideas taken from the Myst games. Especially Myst III & IV. Down to the walkways, platforms, ladders, etc, and so on. Only thing that sets the environment apart, is a slightly more alien fantasy toned look. Myst looks more like a renaissance, tribal, and early industrial mix. Although, I admit some of Mysts ages are more alien than others.

ShadowHawk81
10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I am personally not having any saving issues. I wish I could run the resolution higher (I want to use 1920x1080) but it runs fine on my machine (Core 2 Duo E8500, Radeon HD 4780 X2, Windows Vista SP2.

Problem is that this isnt fully 3D rendered. Well, it is to start. But what I mean, this game is basically tons of screenshots of 3D environments put together, to appear 3D. Thats why sometimes things can appear flat, making it sometimes difficult to make out shapes of objects, because of odd angles. For example there are these 3 key slots in a machine, in a dome room, that I didnt even know were there, until I finally was able to use them. So, in that case enlarging resolution is like scaling up a low resolution image. There is no way around it getting pixelated, except playing at lower res. Im playing at 1024x768, with a black box around it, and its decent.

ShadowHawk81
10-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself.

But, at this point I can agree Aura has done enough to make it's storyline seperate from Myst Lore. However, I do still see resemblances in how puzzles work, and machines you use to get to other worlds.

After having more experience with the puzzles, I've come across more than one that are pretty frustrating, and then those that are so easy, you barely had to try. I think after playing Myst games, I kind of mastered the formula that puzzle games like this use. So, sometimes can predict what has to be done. That said, I guess you can say it wasn't as breakthrough to me, as some reviewers might make you think.

Its worth it for the price, and just seeing the few interesting worlds. But, its not as big as Myst. At least yet, as there is going to be an Aura 2. I felt like I was on some fairly small worlds at times. The storyline itself was boring and predictable, but it was ok. I mean the original Myst is pretty dull compared to even Riven, but it gave it a backbone for a story to grow.

I guess it did kind of leave me curious about Aura 2.

ShadowHawk81
10-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Oh well, no big loss really. I got Aura mainly for its price.

Syndil
10-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Meh, it was too short and the puzzles were too easy. Some of the puzzles would not allow you to progress until after you spoke to someone, which was not always obvious, and others required that you pick up inventory items, which were not always easy to find. A "seek and find" has no place in a logical puzzler, IMO. Obviously they were inspired by (or copied) Myst, but Myst it isn't. Disappointed.