PDA

View Full Version : Having a blast, but now I'm pissed off!

broken85
10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I really started getting into this game. It's very enjoyable, the voice acting is not completely terrible like many games, and the story pulls you in slowly. Aside from distant trees and some other graphical issues, it's very beautiful--faces look excellent and dialog seems fluent and dynamic.

I was completing quests in the bandit camp all morning today, and I have backed myself into an unwinnable state.

I have been keeping a set of 5 saves that I overwrite one at a time so I can always go back a bit if I need to. However, I ratted Craig out for his gambling ring a while back, and kept on playing, overwriting my saves until I can no longer go back and lie about it instead.

So, Craig won't fight me because he only fights for money and I lost the option to bet on anyone when I ratted him out. So now Brogar won't fight me, because I haven't beaten all of his fighters. I can't even speak to Brogar anymore because there are no dialog options left.

Can't fight Brogar, can't get his piece of the sword, can't present the sword to the Blacksmith to reforge it, can't present the reforged sword to the Don in order to speak to him...

All I can do is go back to my old named save from the beginning of the game before I started overwriting.

I guess it's my fault, but I have an apparently unreasonable expectation that a game shouldn't let you progress so far into an unwinnable state. From now on, I'm going to make a named save before making important decisions so I don't do this again.

Now I need to re-enter the swamp, re-kill all the annoying monsters that often ganged up and slaughtered me, re-complete all the quests, and hopefully do things in the right order without choosing an option that will cause me to waste another half day for nothing!

Lucky this game is fun, or I wouldn't be willing to do it again. But I'm definitely done for today...

broken85
10-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I replayed from the beginning again, and it was totally worth it--the game just keeps getting better. I'm glad I didn't give up!

FacestabMan
10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Indeed, some game breaking bugs may appear. But don't throw the toilet, this game is fun as hell.

risenguide
10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
You could have just started wailing on Brogar and taken his piece of the sword, you are in a bandit camp afterall, and no one even cares if you pick a fight and loot someone -- especially Brogar.

broken85
10-12-2010, 11:18 AM
That is a valid point, for some reason I just assumed that all of the other fighters would come to his aid if I attacked him outside of the Arena--I should have just given it a go.

Although, I'm glad I went back and did it again--it was totally worth it to be able to order Brogar around a bit and leave him sitting like an idiot behind that other house while I sleep in his bed and smoke his water pipe :)

And now that I'm in Chapter 4, those quests are but a distant memory... this game sure is awesome.

Xiro17
11-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I know it's a bit late to reply on this, but for others who decide to read the thread and think the game can break this easily (not that there AREN'T game breaking bugs):

One of the easiest ways to get people to talk to you again is to use a Jest Scroll on them. Heck, you can practically kill someone, run-off, and then before they notice you're there you can use a Jest Scroll and they will talk to you again. Might not be the most friendly conversation, but it's available.

Jest Scrolls also work well if your desire is to loot everyone in the game. :D

broken85
11-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Indeed, I did not even consider this option, and it would have saved a lot of time. Thanks :)

Xiro17
11-12-2010, 12:28 AM
No problem. Now go and enjoy that game! Oh, and don't forget to pay your respects to Brogar for me. I had a lot of fun dealing with him. ;)

Let's just say it involved a rusty sword, a wooden shield, and no armor. Hehehe.

broken85
11-12-2010, 04:01 AM
He's long dealt with--although I must admit, I'm nearing the end-game and I still haven't grasped how to parry properly, and I get whaled on by lizardmen as a result. I've quit many a game in frustration from getting killed from just a few of them at once, even so late in the game.

But the game is totally awesome and I will most definitely make it to the end soon :) I've put a lot of hours in exploring, and I really like the sense of 'cleaning up the area' you get as you kill enemies and help all of the NPCs out.

Why couldn't Spellbound have taken some hints from Risen when they were developing ArcaniA?