PDA

View Full Version : So... EA apparently doesn't recognize Steam anymore?

Grimhound
10-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Caught this while browsing Reddit.
"EA has no relationship with the digital channel Steam."

http://i.imgur.com/lUAh2.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dol98/ea_has_no_relationship_with_the_digital_channel/

Alexc26
10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Well, I wouldn't say they don't have a relationship, but all Steam does is sell some EA games, that is as far as their relationship goes, a problem on an EA game on steam, means steam can't solve it because its not their game, and EA probably can't solve it because it has been distributed via a third party program which is Steam :S.

Grimhound
10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, I wouldn't say they don't have a relationship, but all Steam does is sell some EA games, that is as far as their relationship goes, a problem on an EA game on steam, means steam can't solve it because its not their game, and EA probably can't solve it because it has been distributed via a third party program which is Steam :S.

The problem in this case is more that APB bombed less than 3 months after release, and people are demanding refunds. EA initially accepted refunds by offering games, then discounts on games, and now has apparently decided to refuse and is passing the crap back at Steam.

Alexc26
10-08-2010, 09:19 AM
The problem in this case is more that APB bombed less than 3 months after release, and people are demanding refunds. EA initially accepted refunds by offering games, then discounts on games, and now has apparently decided to refuse and is passing the crap back at Steam.

They changed their policy or something recently and now can't/won't give any refunds or vouchers etc, so seeing it has nothing to do with them I suppose the only place they can send customers to is to they place they bought it from, hence to Steam.

Grimhound
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
They changed their policy or something recently and now can't/won't give any refunds or vouchers etc, so seeing it has nothing to do with them I suppose the only place they can send customers to is to they place they bought it from, hence to Steam.

It has everything to do with EA. Footing the responsibility to Steam and Valve is messed up. It's low.

samnoon
10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
EA didn't publish APB on Steam, it was the developers who self-published. EA has nothing to do with the Steam version of APB. They did not develop the game and only publish it in physical stores.

EA didn't say "EA has no relationship with the digital channel Steam."
You're taking it out of context. They said they had no relationship with Steam concerning APB.

aklawitter
10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Looks like the infighting at EA is back! Nice to see them go back to their roots.

WarLokk1980
10-08-2010, 09:39 AM
EA are a load of crap. That's why I didn't buy APB (luckily) and for the same reson I hate all FIFA games

Am.Col
10-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, did they change their relationship status?

Grimhound
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
EA didn't publish APB on Steam, it was the developers who self-published. EA has nothing to do with the Steam version of APB. They did not develop the game and only publish it in physical stores.

EA didn't say "EA has no relationship with the digital channel Steam."
You're taking it out of context. They said they had no relationship with Steam concerning APB.

Ah. Well, if that's the case I guess I can understand it. Honestly, EA or Steam or any distributor don't really owe people anything regarding APB. I initially took it as EA being jerks, but if it's as you say then they had no responsibility.

Zorlac
10-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Medal of Honor is releasing next week. It's an EA published game.

Firebreak
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
The way I see it is this:

1) Is steam authorized to sell the game? Yes

2) Is it steam's fault the game bombed? No

EA should have to pony up and do the refunds

(I did not purchase this game, but was shocked when I saw this thread and learned the game bombed)

Emox
10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I would of tried another EA support person some could be having an off day like this one.

MrSniker
10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
It's pretty obvious if you actually read the response in question that while EA did publish APB retail and in some DD stores, Steam was not one of them.

Quit jumping to conclusions.

Cedge
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
People, they're just talking about APB. EA had nothing to do with the release of APB on Steam; it was self-published by the developer on Steam. EA was only the distributor for physical retail copies, not the publisher (these two things are not the same).

That's all that support person was saying. They were talking about APB, and APB only. EA has no responsibility for sales of APB made via Steam.

EA still publishes on Steam, in general.

The way I see it is this:
1) Is steam authorized to sell the game? Yes
2) Is it steam's fault the game bombed? No
EA should have to pony up and do the refunds

Why should EA give refunds for copies purchased on Steam? They had nothing to do with the Steam release, and never saw a dime from those sales.

Alexc26
10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
EA are a load of crap. That's why I didn't buy APB (luckily) and for the same reson I hate all FIFA games

You say that as if EA developed APB, even though they didn't.

Ryuubei
10-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I have to admit i find this thread funny as hell. Both steam and EA were simply the seller. There's no legal obligation for them to issue a refund, with the sole exception of any sales made after the announcement of the server closure.

EA offered refunds/discounts/exchanges because it was good PR for them to do so, since their name was on the box. Unfortunatly since they're more well known people assume they made it.

With Steam though they don't feel the need to issue anything, since tey had nothing to do with the steam release. If steam wont give you a refund (which they don't have to) you're only option is to try and get it back from RTW (good luck on that lol)

FXL
10-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, did they change their relationship status?

Electronic Arts is now Single. - 3 hours ago

P-K
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I have to admit i find this thread funny as hell. Both steam and EA were simply the seller. There's no legal obligation for them to issue a refund, with the sole exception of any sales made after the announcement of the server closure.

EA offered refunds/discounts/exchanges because it was good PR for them to do so, since their name was on the box. Unfortunatly since they're more well known people assume they made it.

With Steam though they don't feel the need to issue anything, since tey had nothing to do with the steam release. If steam wont give you a refund (which they don't have to) you're only option is to try and get it back from RTW (good luck on that lol)

If a problem happens with a purchase you go to the seller direct

Sale of Goods Act

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality.

If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation.

Whilst if ABP had been going for over a year then the above you be somewhat useless

Ryuubei
10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Lets say i buy a new MMO from my local shop. It works for a few months then company folds and the servers go offline. The store is not obligated (legally) to give a refund or exchange because it was circumstances outdie of their control.

They do usually give refunds because it's good PR, but they dont have to.

P-K
10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Lets say i buy a new MMO from my local shop. It works for a few months then company folds and the servers go offline. The store is not obligated (legally) to give a refund or exchange because it was circumstances outdie of their control.

They do usually give refunds because it's good PR, but they dont have to.

Maybe in America but in the UK the place of purchase is directly responsible for goods sold however the seller will make a claim for a refund from the distributor or publisher

Also in the UK it can be argued that the service life is below satisfactory standards not to mention its made worse by the fact that it has no single player therefore the game is completely useless to the people that bought it

real4xor
10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
:/ What I wonder is... especially in the case of ABP, and other/similar online games...
If steam should have to give refunds, and retail shops should just go `n give refunds, who`s going to refund the shops?

I mean, it`s obvious EA published a faulty product...
:/ I don`t think retail stores are going to give money back just because EA thinks it`s their responsibility...
SOMEbody`s gotta pay for it, either the devs or the pubs. :/
Kinda unfair to let the clients and resellers pay for it. Since neither of them can set up a server for the game.
Who shut the game down in the first place, and why?

Jito463
10-08-2010, 08:12 PM
:I mean, it`s obvious EA published a faulty product...

As was already pointed out earlier in the thread, EA did *NOT* publish the game, they merely distributed it. Just as Steam was merely a distributor, as well. As such, neither have any liability for the game failing.

Should they offer refunds, it's token generosity on their part, but in no way are they legally required to do so. If you want to go after anyone for a refund, it's the developer/publisher (in this case, one and the same). However, your chances of a refund is likely slim to none.