PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer: Unit animations

Timiditas
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Why are there none? This game wasn't made in 1986...

Is there maybe any setting that I missed?

Are there any in LAN-mode? (In that case I'm going to use VPN for private matches)

anasuelli
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
There are no move/attack animations in multiplayer, everyone is talking about it in every forum. I think it's disgusting that a game released on late 2010, and that costs about 50 euros, has a similar gigantic lack.

It's not acceptable, let them know that WE ARE ANGRY ABOUT THAT.
We have to post complaints, everyone, everywere.
One thing is sure: if they are not going to fix this ABNORMOUS lack, this is the LAST fireaxis game i'll buy. It's promise.

Timiditas
10-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Indeed. I tried the multiplayer part the first time today, and I had the impression that it was just 'hacked in' on the last minute before it went gold.

Dagbiker
10-08-2010, 01:48 PM
i was born in 1986

toughnut
10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
It's like they decided to rebuild the engine and fired have the game engine team six months before the game was released. Therefore they didn't have enough time and resources to optimize the engine code and decided to cut stuff.

Sid must be rolling in his grave.

Richardy
10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Unfortunatly my whole multiplayer experience is lack luster, we play most nights. Its fine at the start apart from the annoying LACK of unit annimations, and annoying lack of on screen notifications that ive gone over a ruin. After 200 + turns it gets slower and slower! Its bad enough waiting for my mate who takes a day and an age to click turn but then once you do it hangs.. then loads then hangs then eventually loads the next turn... we havent got to the final tech yet as we get bored waiting ! Start a new one and its fast again...

Suffice to say im EAGERLY awaiting a new patch!

And i still get the screen freeze thing when you can click stuff in the back ground, forcing me to ctrl alt del the game... and start again at the last autosave.

mines quad core, 4gb ram, 64bit windows 7.

Molotov Slacker
10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't see the big deal here from what I understand it is to aid in a faster multiplayer game and they are a little tedious now as it is. Even in single player I enable quick combat likely would remove travel animation if that was an option after awhile its just pointless and gets boring to watch imo. Only completed a handful of multiplayer games though would like something a little more zippy but I've got crap dsl service that couldn't host and only games I find regularly are huge games that most ppl bail out of before 50 rounds.

Timiditas
10-08-2010, 08:10 PM
The big deal here is that you, as the hosting player, cannot select if you want these animations or not.

Sure, Civ5 has much worse problems than that. But for me and other people, this still is an issue.

Molotov Slacker
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Well I could see it being an issue if it was supposed to be an option that didn't work but this was a feature that was announced way before release iirc. I could possibly understand ppl like to watch unit animations but I'd much rather them put time/resources into known bugs now instead of additional eye candy.

anasuelli
10-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Well I could see it being an issue if it was supposed to be an option that didn't work but this was a feature that was announced way before release iirc. I could possibly understand ppl like to watch unit animations but I'd much rather them put time/resources into known bugs now instead of additional eye candy.

If you like that stupid chess-game that is Civ5 multiplayer without animations, I'm glad for you, play it, no one is asking you to post here. We are trying to let hear our voices here.

I didn't knew anything about this before release and the option to let the host DECIDE if the wants animations or not, was ALWAYS there. There is no reason to remove that checkbox. Do you call this a FEATURE? Are you freaking out of your mind? They were not ABLE to implement animations, and now they are defending theirselves behind the "feature" excuse.

And for others saying this is not a main problem, by the way, the game has not greater problems then this. THIS IS THE PROBLEM OF THE GAME. Other problems are related to your messed up PCs. 105 hours of gameplay here, never saw a crash or a problem of any sort. Go format c:\

Timiditas
10-09-2010, 03:57 AM
So, bugs in the GUI, stupid AI and near-game-breaking bugs in the game mechanics are all caused because thousands of PCs are 'messed up'?
Thats just insane. Go trolling elsewhere.

Molotov Slacker
10-09-2010, 04:10 AM
... no one is asking you to post here. We are trying to let hear our voices here.

Your on the wrong forums then you should be over on the games home forums instead of the distributors forums trying to get your voice heard... just saying.

I didn't knew anything about this before release and the option to let the host DECIDE if the wants animations or not, was ALWAYS there. There is no reason to remove that checkbox. Do you call this a FEATURE? Are you freaking out of your mind? They were not ABLE to implement animations, and now they are defending theirselves behind the "feature" excuse.

This was revealed well before release and was touted as a feature to improve multiplayer gaming, so while your assertation that its not a feature and a failure of the coders to include it seems a little off base. Can't seem to find the articles I read to this effect atm but most of google is bogged down with forum hits of people amazed it doesn't include animations in multiplayer.

And for others saying this is not a main problem, by the way, the game has not greater problems then this. THIS IS THE PROBLEM OF THE GAME. Other problems are related to your messed up PCs. 105 hours of gameplay here, never saw a crash or a problem of any sort. Go format c:\

Nice opinion but I disagree that a lack of eyecandy is "THE PROBLEM OF THE GAME" lol but I've only logged 104.9 hours so you may have an edge on me :D

anasuelli
10-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Your on the wrong forums then you should be over on the games home forums instead of the distributors forums trying to get your voice heard... just saying.

I discussed this on 2k forums obviously, but i think it's good to let them hear our voices on every main forum about the game (this, and civfanatics). I'm sure that their community manager(s) are reading here. ;)

This was revealed well before release and was touted as a feature to improve multiplayer gaming, so while your assertation that its not a feature and a failure of the coders to include it seems a little off base. Can't seem to find the articles I read to this effect atm but most of google is bogged down with forum hits of people amazed it doesn't include animations in multiplayer.

I didn't know that before seeing it with my own eyes. My fault? Probably. But you are the only one here that was aware of that before buying the game, you know? A lot of people discovered it suddenly after the purchase. Evidently, this called "anticipated feature" wasn't that clear to the audience.

Also, I still don't think we can call it a feature... removing options is not a feature, it's a lack. No one wants animations to be forced, everyone wants the choice. They removed it, probably because they were not ABLE to do it or they didn't had the time to implement it. That's why we are asking to put it there.

Nice opinion but I disagree that a lack of eyecandy is "THE PROBLEM OF THE GAME" lol but I've only logged 104.9 hours so you may have an edge on me :D

Don't be silly mate. :) I'm not saying that I have an edge on someone, I'm just pointing out that on some systems the game is running perfectly. It's evident that the game has bugs and problems with some configurations (what game doesn't on release on this days?), but people is just going crazy saying that the game is horribly coded and so on... I'm saying I'm not sure of it, I am convinced that a lot of the people's problem are related to their own PCs, insted of the game. Animations lack, instead, is a specific lack of the game, just as SLI support lack, and a few minor but annoying bugs like the "production bug" or the "scout becoming a mechanized infantry bug". These all are problems of the game and they are supposed to fix that quickly. Random crashes the people is experiencing, are more probably caused by messed up systems, old drivers, directX installation problems, overheating problems, and so on.