PDA

View Full Version : Should i be getting X tension?

Zurv
10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, it is that time again when i try to play x:tc! (this is my 4th time.. i normally give up after 5min.. i'm going to try to give it more time this go around)... i even down the DVD from the first game when it first came out.. never played it.

Should i get the addons too? beyond the frontier and tension? or are they stand alone addons? ie, you start a new game if you want to play these...

like for civ 4... you'd want to be playing the lastest exp pack beyond the sword...

hrmm.. or should i just reinstall privateer :)

Anaraavi
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
All the titles are Standalone.

They follow a timeline in the x-universe (can't recall atm what dates). I personaly have not played the first 3, though I have just dl'd the Superbox, I dont think I will play the first two, they feel too claustrophobic after playing Reunion. (May play No# 3 at some pont, but getting back into Reunion first)

The x-universe is quite a steep learning curve, and needs a lot of patience. It is rewarding if you can though. It's a slow paced game early on, and always needs careful planning. But this is the draw for me, the fact that you have to find your own way in the universe, (Even when doing the plot lines, one needs to build up your ship and such over time between plot sections.).

I played Reunion early last year, but put it down for a while for various reasons, but now have the time to go again. I am more interested in the trade side, so start with Humble Merchant.

It depends how much time and effort one puts in, so hard to say how long it can take, as every player plays differently. But depending on your knowledge or ability to root out good guides, it can take anything from a week to a couple months before you build and expand your operation. I personly take my time, and having started from scratch again, I will just take my sweet time at my own pace and enjoy the immersive side of the game.

For some the early days are too slow paced, or for others who want fast fighter action without the work, usualy end up getting fragged early on for not planning ahead. So my advice, don't play it like Freelance, Dark Star or whatever other game, its more a slow tactical game not unlike EVE in many ways.

Someone with experience however can forge ahead pretty damn quick, but always remember that they at some time had to claw their way up the steep curve, and/or do some heavy reading through guides.

hehe, good luck.

Zurv
10-10-2010, 12:19 PM
the game already broke me... :)

i started with x:tc.. and have been working on the "training" mission.
WTF!~>!??!?! i can't shoot the ♥♥♥♥ing thing. right click does nothing.
I did the mission like 6 times... nothing...

yeah.. over an hour of game play and i have no idea what is going on.. i can't even shoot >.<

unserene
10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
X BTF and X-Tension are not addons! They are the original older X games.

Somehow judging from the tone of your posts I don't think you have the patience for these games.
If you think you do head over to the Egosoft forums (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=2) for some tips on how to start playing.

Zurv
10-10-2010, 12:54 PM
what tone should someone have if it says hit right click to shoot and it doesn't. I don't even think my ship has a front facing gun.

unserene
10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Not all ships have front guns.

Anaraavi
10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
what tone should someone have if it says hit right click to shoot and it doesn't. I don't even think my ship has a front facing gun.

Each game in the series also is harder than the previos game.

Anyhow, if you started the Terran plot in X:TC then check you have the guns active, click on them on lower left HUd. Also check you have not pressed 1-4 along the way, as you can set up various configurations of guns and hot swap using the number buttons. I know because I did something similar first time i jumped into X:TC.

I had pressed a number key, effectively making my guns inactive, hence could not make headway in the kill missions, until I noticed my mistake.

The game can be complex at start, so easy to miss what later becomes the obvious with experience. Dont try and do every plot mission one after the other either. Do the first two or three maybe then do some other stuff to better equip your ship.

The ingame encyclopeadia is your friend too. Every time you fiind something new, it adds an entry, and is useful. Think its in personal menu if I remember correct from the bottom menu selection.

Also read guides, there is a guide page on main site that has a colour coded list coded for each of the seperate games, and also is very useful. Don't rush headfirst into the game, it will kill you ;).

TC has the better menu selection and HUd imo over Reunion, but I wont go back to that game till I get my new pute, this one is 6 years old and it tells, though its good eneough for Reunion atm.

The game can be very frustrating early on, as nothing is obvious, and the game does not hold ones hand. Even the TC terran plot missions, which are a sort of tutorial, can bite you. After every mission, go to a station and take stock of what you will be doing next. If need be, do some side missions to earn some cash, or some mini trade runs. Then carry on again.

As I say, it's slow for a new player at first and feels very complex, but it soon becomes second nature with time. I have just come back to the games after a long break, and had to relearn/remember, and I do remember how tough it was first time.

Stick with it and get a copy of this //forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=1571302 (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=1571302)

Zurv
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
i gave up :) i still don't understand why i can't shoot.. but.. *shrug*

time for some Freelancer or maybe some nexus: jupiter incident :)

ravenstar68
10-15-2010, 07:49 AM
What game start did you use? Terran Defender is probably one of the best starts for new players. Some of the othe starts don't have guns, they encourage you to start trading first.

dyabel
10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
ok - even if you have a gun in your loading bay, you still need to install it - Advanced>Weapons>install weapon

andrewas
10-15-2010, 07:38 PM
i gave up :) i still don't understand why i can't shoot.. but.. *shrug*

time for some Freelancer or maybe some nexus: jupiter incident :)

Odds are you started as a 'humble merchant' and started flight school. That start gives you no guns, so theres no way to finish the training. Take one of the other starts, or just fly away from flight school and do something more profitable.

Or give up. Your choice.