PDA

View Full Version : Almost gave up on this game, glad I didnt.

Bish0p
10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I started playing this game a couple months ago and it seemed awfully repetitive. After a few days I decided I had my fill and I put it down for over a month. Just came back to it yesterday and I have to say. There is fun to be had here, no question IMO. The battle system is where you can really get into the game once you get use to it. Don't stress so much about what to focus your guys on and all that.
Just let em get everything form what I'm seeing.
Once things got moving along, the game totally hooked me.
Took some getting use to but I'm enjoying it now. :)
Cheers.

TheoS_89
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Glad you like it. I think TLR is the most underrated game of 2009, especially on the PC (same metascore as the Xbox 360 version???). I can totally support his point, don't give it up easily, it takes some time so start off.

Zefar
10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it's only real problem is that leveling might take a bit too long to show any effect and the amount of items to hunt is quite ridiculous.

orijinal
10-14-2010, 11:57 PM
yeah, i started this game a few months back. i had to stop because my graphics card kept getting artifacts when i ran the game..i upgraded my card and can play this fine but i havent touched it for a while now...this game is really fun, i dont really know what made me stop playing. im guessing its the crazy amount of games i have that take up my free time :P

i also never got why this game got such low ratings. it had a slow start though, but once you get past that, this game is awesome :D

OmegaRed60
02-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I finally beat it. I had a poorly constructed group of unions also since it was my first playthrough. I really didn't figure out what to do correctly until I was near the end. I still managed to complete the last boss after a week and barely surviving with mediocre leveled skills.

Now the only thing that sucks is that this may truly be the Last Remnant since there seems to be no hope for a sequel. Why couldn't more people enjoy this game as much as we do?:(

BlackKanda
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I am wondering that myself. I am close to finish it [it's my 4th play-through], and I still find it be a wonderful game.

I agree with you, the lack of a sequel sucks big time.

Drullo321
02-23-2011, 06:52 AM
The more you play TLR , the more you will love it. The problem is you can easily miss a lot of content and do a lot of faults that prevents you from a) more content and b) easier battles because you may make all mistakes you can do your first run and cant continue (with fun) the story

The more you play, maybe the more playthroughs you do, there are a lot of ways you can combine and mix your unions ad have fun with that.

I think this game is underrated on the game mechanics site. Also the story itself isnt that bad but a) not well developed through the game and b) there are so many things unclear, even if you this is your 3-4 playthrough
Yeah it would be great to see a sequel or another game with this game mechanics.

+ round based rpgs, rare in our times
+ massive battles with many characters, not just 3-4
+ no perfect influence of every characters action but also it isnt random

TheoS_89
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
It's really sad how this game has gone under in the masses. I myself saw it at a friends PC and thought: "That's what you were waiting for." Bought it and now steam says around 230 hours, which is by far the most time I ever invested into a game (for comparison: DA:O has amassed ~90 hours max in 2 complete play-throughs and now I can't really see it anymore).

The funny thing is, I showed this game to 4 people I thought who might be interested. All of them bought it and 3 finished it. So it really can't be that bad. :)

PS: I'd love a sequel too.

BobT36
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
heh I'm up to 300 hours and I'm only just starting the Six bases (done everything up to that), though its my first playthrough so I'm not speeding through it.

And thats with steam missing some hours due to crashes. XD

TheoS_89
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
heh I'm up to 300 hours and I'm only just starting the Six bases (done everything up to that), though its my first playthrough so I'm not speeding through it.

That's insane ;)

What is your current BR if you played for such a long time?

BobT36
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
102 I think. ;x

I did a lot of playing around with just rush (and Baulson / Mcgrady) early on in the Gaslin caves and so on, looking at the different arts and anims. That got me quite high right from the start.

I also have a bit of OCD with killing everything in my way the first time through somewhere, and fighting them in large packs (the game even advises you to!). Its hard not to! :P

I don't "Grind" though as such, unless I'm after a specific component or 4/5 on one of the good skills.

nemesis519
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
102 I think. ;x

I did a lot of playing around with just rush (and Baulson / Mcgrady) early on in the Gaslin caves and so on, looking at the different arts and anims. That got me quite high right from the start.

It's great that you posted that. I know a few of the discussions on these forums center around keeping a low BR (and keeping a low BR is certainly valid if you want to develop late-game party characters). But I think the main point is that people should just play at their own pace for their first game and not worry about their BR and they'll progress through the game just fine.

If you played 300 hours into your first play-through and only reached the six bases just now, you're probably on the higher end of the BR spectrum compared to most other players, and you seem to be managing just fine.

Zloth
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow, I'm up to where I can finish my second play-through any time I feel like it and I've only got 279 hours logged.

It's really sad how this game has gone under in the masses. I myself saw it at a friends PC and thought: "That's what you were waiting for." Bought it and now steam says around 230 hours, which is by far the most time I ever invested into a game...
X3: Terran Conflict - 524 hours recorded, and they didn't start recording until I had put a few hundred hours into the game already. Far and away the biggest single player game I have ever seen. I posted about it over yonder (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717166).

BlackKanda
02-26-2011, 06:23 AM

You can play it offline, if that's what you mean.

Yaakkoop
03-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Hmm, nice thread. I might give the game a shot.

I did play it a few times, but it never managed to pull me in. Confusing gameplay doesn't at all. And the fact that you control units instead of individual characters is something I'll have to adjust to.

And what's going on with you guys' play time? 200 hours? 300 hours?!
Heh, Gametrailers said something about 40 hours if you just play without any sidemissions. Only games I've played that much is Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2. Batman Arkham Asylum too probably.

BlackKanda
03-21-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't even remember the hours for the first play-through, but there must have been many because in games like this I do as much of side quests as possible. Play hours in total since I bought the game it's another story though. On another thread I mentioned I have played 200+ hours, but that was a lie. Upon finishing my fourth play-through the Steam screen showed a number of 400-something hours. You can tell I am obsessed. *lol*

TheoS_89
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
My first play-through was around 60 hours, but rather incomplete. Now I have amassed ~250+ hours. :)

BlackKanda
03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
60 hours for the first play-through sounds reasonable to me since you have to figure out so many aspects of the game, hunt for components and do the guild tasks. The replays can be a lot longer if you want to finish everything and spend time training your characters to improve skills and arts.

BobT36
03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Just hit 400 hours here, first playthrough. ;x

Currently doing the Third Path then talking to the God Emporer.

However I have done EVERYTHING (besides Ancient Ruins and the Ubar Guild mobs, Eldritch dragon and so on) up to this point, as well as always fully customising their weps as much as poss, and training arts up to a level I feel is adequate.

Probbaly pretty short if all the guild tasks and sidequests are ignored. Its nice to have that content but it has distracted me from the main story somewhat. I can't even remember the starting parts or what I'm currently supposed to be doing because of all the unrelated nobbing around with random quests to be "friendly" with the chars.

I like sidequests, but mainly only if they're relevant to the main story and have a place in it.

TheoS_89
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't know if I should be shocked or amazed by 400 hours for one, none finished play-through (and there's still something ahead of you...). :D

Keep it up, I would really like to know how many hours you have on the clock in the end. :)

BobT36
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Well probably spent around 5-10 hours just running mt vackel to get the brynhildrs I needed to spawn, ♥♥♥♥s sakes at those.

Each time I'd get the component or task I needed, done another came shortly afterwards that needed them, grrr!

♥♥♥♥ing hate artificial time boosting like this, I mean rare monster, rare capture, rare drop in that capture, grindgrindgrind.

The game would have been a LOT more fun if could just actually concentrate on PLAYING it. Don't mind going outa me way a bit for some sidequests and so on but too much of a random element in this just makes irritating. Hard as hell to focus on the story like this.

Edit: Needed another one to upgrade Caedmon's weapon, found one finally. Saved beforehand. Fought it, killed it, no capture for the rare husk. Ok, *reloads save. Mob not there, wtf? *reloads again, still nope. *reloads autosave at start of pearly peaks, run back, mob not there.

FUFUFUFUFUUFUFUFUFUFFFF! *Goes to strangle a dog, shoot a bird, and set a raccoon on fire.

Edit 2: Got it FINALLY, took THREE HOURS in total, and had to kill the bloody thing EIGHT times when I finally got it. /sigh. Ah well Third path to do and onwards with the game.

BlackKanda
03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't see what poor dog, bird and raccoon have done to you to show them such cruelty. :(
Interrupting the main story for getting upgrade components/doing side quests is not one of my favourite parts either, but it is somewhat common in a lot of games.

BobT36
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah its whats proper put me off FF12 or whatever (the one with Vaan), I can't remember a single thing about the story anymore, and just stopped playing it at one point, which is rare for me.

Totally failed to capture me, because all it was doing was making me grind grind grind.

Ah well got the brynhildr done, doing Third Path next (more components / sigh) then god emporer and onwards.

At least I'm nearly finished.

TheoS_89
03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
That's the curse of being a perfectionist in a JRPG ;)

real4xor
03-30-2011, 09:00 AM
:/ I`m a bit too perfectionist to ignore the sidequests. But they do annoy me alot too.

It`s like finishing the game only takes 5 hours, but finishing it with all the sidequests done is 200 hours. If only they had a little more to do with the story or had ALOT less grind in it... Ah well, it`s too pretty to leave.

edit: Finally passed six bases, that part made me LOL. Those generals are idiots. Oh, and oddly enough, I`ve already seen them all when side-questing, I guess all the puzzle parts start falling together in the end.

I do like the battle system tho. It`s great, also the fact that they`re doing a little idle-parry when you`re scrolling trough the battle tactics. ^^ just luv small "insignificant" details like those.
I first saw the same kind of battle gimmick on an older RPG on the dreamcast. :/ kinda wondered why it`s not being used more often in these kind of RPG`s.

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 09:23 AM
You can't possibly finish the game in five hours, whether you like side-quests or not. You still have to farm components to upgrade and improve your and your characters' weapons; if you don't you will probably have some "difficulties" in beating the final boss. ;)

However, in this game the side-quests are introduced and justified in advance with what the woman who gives Rush the quest "A day's beginning" said. Cleverly done, in my opinion.

BobT36
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
:/ I`m a bit too perfectionist to ignore the sidequests. But they do annoy me alot too.

It`s like finishing the game only takes 5 hours, but finishing it with all the sidequests done is 200 hours. If only they had a little more to do with the story or had ALOT less grind in it... Ah well, it`s too pretty to leave.

Still need components for an assasin blade, and a few of those other items. And I`m off to disc 2.

I do like the battle system tho. It`s great, also the fact that they`re doing a little idle-parry when you`re scrolling trough the battle tactics. ^^ just luv small "insignificant" details like those.

EXACTLY what I feel about it. And yeah although the "War" style battles seem a tad small with multiple groups, but only 2/3 guys in each at max, and the guys in the background being wooden, I DO love how they're fighting all the time while you're selecting commands. It really does make it feel like an on-going BATTLE, (not just turn based, jump in, whack, jump out).

You even see them slinging spells and shards and hitting, blocking, drawing blood and everything allover the place, exactly what they do when you actually send the commands. Not a lot of games do this, and ANY time but the few moments on the "battle" screen all the characters seem to totally forget they're absolute badasses with awesome weapons and spells, including healing / rez magic and so on. (Also love how when they whip their weapons out in cutscenes, they actually fight with what they're really holding at the time. Looked great when Rush pulled out his Defender Zweihander to face the Conqueror at Nagapur, really adds the personal touch.)

But yeah same with the rest of it, I do LIKE sidequests generally rather than a straight, short linear story but with what it seems for here, there's so many that you HAD to do before a certain point, and also not many of them were directly relevant with the story at all. Between that, all the guild tasks and oh god farming all the horrible rare components / monsters, I could never remember a single thing of what was actually going on in the main plot, besides a short cutscene thrown in now and then and a tiny battle, then it was off for MORE farming /sigh.

And lol Kanda do you know I had to actually look that one up in the wiki cause I couldn't remember a single bloody thing. :P

Anyways progress update for me, FINALLY moved forward a bit. I now have dragons to farm (/sigh), Ancient ruins to do (and for more components /SIGH), then the "special" mobs to kill, though I've done a few so there's the Cyclops, Firery Gates, Idols, Seven, Lost and WC to kill I think. Going to do the Lost then WC last when I'm fully trained and have the absolute best equipment.

Once I've done that, I can FINALLY go and kill the last boss and finish the story as I'll have done EVERYTHING.

Oh yeah the character interaction got a lot better right at the last minute too, a LOT of the awkwardness has gone and it actually got interesting, with Rush being less of a ♥♥♥ (thank F*** I no longer havto hear him squeaking "IREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENAAAAAAAAAA!!!") and David has started being all awesome. The other characters have faded out a bit, but yeah I wish it had been this way all the way through, seemed a lot of short / clippy awkwardness before.

Another thing I wish I had more time to admire is the environments, I mean Melphina is a big one, it looks a fantastic beautiful city with waterfalls everywhere, suspended over a lake, there's even lilypads in the water and so on. Yet do you ever really get to see and admire any of that? Nope. You're running through a small portion of the village to zip in, manage your components or reload the screen 20x to "talk" to one of your leaders (/sigh), and then bugger off. All this grindy ♥♥♥♥ really makes ya miss out on a lot. :(

Edit: Rofl Cyclops vs Cyclops ('http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963848725/screenshot/541763649858598348?tab=public'), awesome!

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't know about you, but I have spent hours posing here and there to admire the landscape. :D

David has always been awesome. Caedmon and Torgal are just amazing and get better and better with every fight. Actually I love lot of the characters in this game.

LOL @ IREEEEEEENAAAAA! It gives in my nerves every single time they all go dramatic about the damsel in distress.

TheoS_89
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Edit: Rofl Cyclops vs Cyclops ('http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963848725/screenshot/541763649858598348?tab=public'), awesome!

I tried to get this ~15 times and then I thought it wasn't possible (which would have been understandable, I think).
But that you actually got is AWESOME. :D

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Ref: Cyclops vs Cyclops

I have given this battle so many times and yet I never thought of summoning Cyclops. LOL It looks like a case of split personality, doesn't it?

BobT36
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I tried to get this ~15 times and then I thought it wasn't possible (which would have been understandable, I think).
But that you actually got is AWESOME. :D

lol! Yeah as soon as I started it I thought "Heh would be amusing if ya could Summon Cyclops on this", then the first commands came up and there it was. Unfortunately I didn't get to have "Gae Bolgs at Dawn" though. :(

Was funny as feck seeing them repeatedly pulling their arms off and beefing each other with them. :D

And aye Kanda I'm trying to make meself do that, even the subtle things like Elusion being in the background of the Southwestern Road and so on, its tough though when I'm trying not to spend too much more time nobbing around, all the grindy crap takes as long as it is.

And yeah the interaction they have with each other mid-battle is awesome too, Blocter shouting out "RUSH!" and same with Dave and Torgal and so on when they get killed, as well as the banter when they do less damage or congratulating each other with "Well Fought" and so on, really adds that extra touch. Allan's lines when I had him in my party really cracked me up, he sounded SUCH a cranky, sarcastic old B***ARD, rofl, Jaeger's are amusing as well and the random ♥♥♥ sounds he makes.

And yeah at the "IREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENA! *rushes in and does something stupid" scenes. If I was Dave after a while of that I'd have done a long sigh, then pulled out my remnant then shot him in the back with Ex Machina, and proceeded to do things normally. Honestly it made me want to kill Rush more than the villain.

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Actually I want to kill Irina, not Rush.

Rush feels guilty because of that time back in their childhood, when he left her alone in the woods. Which explains why he feels so responsible about her now and why he makes such agonising efforts to have her back safe and sound. Irina, on the other hand... you don't want me to get started. Remember the scene she looked as if she was kinda of flirting with David, and Rush was lying against a column a few metres away? It made me want to kick her on the back, repeatedly.

BobT36
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Actually I want to kill Irina, not Rush.

Rush feels guilty because of that time back in their childhood, when he left her alone in the woods. Which explains why he feels so responsible about her now and why he makes such agonising efforts to have her back safe and sound. Irina, on the other hand... you don't want me to get started. Remember the scene she looked as if she was kinda of flirting with David, and Rush was lying against a column a few metres away? It made me want to kick her on the back, repeatedly.

Err she's his sister? Doesn't really matter there, if anything I wondered why the heck Rush was even there evesdropping. :P

Also THREE ♥♥♥♥ING HOURS TO GET ENOUGH DRAGON BRISTLES, ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Now to start the Ancient ruins and hope I get the 30000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000 World Tree Timbers I need...

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, Rush and David seem quite close, don't you think? :D

FYI, there is no map for Ancient Ruins. Either check Wiki or, once you step in there start drawing a sketch - as I did in my firt play-through, cursing my sense of orientation.

BobT36
03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Well, Rush and David seem quite close, don't you think? :D

FYI, there is no map for Ancient Ruins. Either check Wiki or, once you step in there start drawing a sketch - as I did in my firt play-through, cursing my sense of orientation.

LOL Oh god, do NOT go there.

*Only just picked up on what ya on about now. XD

And heh yeah got the wicki on the go on my second monitor. :D

Ancient ruins is going ok so far, bloody strong magic on those Wyverns though (they all have rank 5 of everything since I'm BR120 hehe), on the second Tier atm. Fortunately the Tree Timber ain't hard to collect, will see about the Pangu bones, Jewel Steel and Djin Coins though, meh.

Oh yeah I'm pissed off that I messed about getting Torgal dual Halphas Dominus, and the peen hasn't learned Hawkarang, because it seems he's switched to Deathknight which is Balanced I think, I told him to go Combat, grrr. (Fortunately he's only Master, but if he doesn't switch back by the time I'm done here then bugger it.)

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
You might have told him to go Combat but if you let him use his mystic skills equally to his combat arts, this is how he took the Balance path. Currently I have David as Legendary Guardian and trying to switch him into Assassin, but for some reason he seems to have been stuck there. Buggers.

BobT36
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Meh, well hope he switches as I really wanted him to use Hawkarang. :(

And ♥♥♥♥ ME WHATS WITH THOSE OBSERVERS!

Overdrive on a mob with Rank 5 spells, wtfffff. Been fighting this one for bloody ages. The first one only used it when it was critical hp, and I easily finished that off with Remnant arts, but this second one has used it pretty early, and is wiping out anyone it touches heh, argh.

BlackKanda
03-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Ah, yes. Observers. Hehe.
Try five unions and each turn command a union with healers or anyone with Vivification or Kiss of Life to stay on their toes. When fighting Observers in overdrive mod have in mind the first union (if not the second too) will end up kissing the floor.

BobT36
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
lol yeah thats exactly what I'm doing.

Just most of the time I'm constantly reviving, hoping someone will proc a powerful art or remnant art.

I've had to turn on Ghor's peerless rank 5 Rift, and Baulson's Dragun Crush 5 again, and clinging to those like hell. xD

Wouldn't be as bad if I had all my powerful arts like that on but got most off for training the others hehe.

Fighting 3 Demons together probably wasn't a good idea either, its wierd fighting challenging mobs again. :D Some of the magic is a bit too strong though since they have rank 5 EVERYTHING heh.

BobT36
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
New update.

EVERYTHING done bar the Seven, Lost, White Conqueror, and endboss now. Everyone's weapons in my main party finally fully upgraded.

This game has taken my entire damn holiday just to finish the last chapter because of all the ♥♥♥♥ing grinding. HATE Jewel Steel! >:|

BlackKanda
04-02-2011, 02:54 AM
I can understand you, but if you think grinding for getting Jewel Steel is bad, you have no idea how it is to grind for upgrading weapon arts and final class changes in a low BR game. Last time I gave up on BR 154 - and it was a low BR game, mind you. *lol*

What arts you have learnt so far? Who is in your final team?

BobT36
04-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Heh that was a low BR game? :P

I'm on 140 currently, have every combat art for the weapons they're using, and for the big hitters I've trained Dragon Crush and Rift Cleaver to Rank 5. Pagus, Rush and David also have ALL their invocations at Rank 5. Helps now a few of them have Weapon Arts too, jarateed off at Torgal not learning Hawkarang though, he won't use Cerulean rain either! grrr. Probably something to do with being a Deathknight. (Despite playing mostly quad wield with him)

Final party:

Rush, Loki, Blocter.
David, Torgal, Caedmon.
Pagus, Madd0x, Wyngale, Yuniver.
Emmy, Jorgen, Ghor, Baulson.
Jaeger, Glenys, Irina, Paris.

I sometimes switch them around a lil though if I need uber damage, such as switching Torgal and Wyngale and making Torgal union leader for Lugh's, also I pull in Mcgrady instead of Jorgen if I need some Dragon Crushing awesome. :D

Wasn't going to use Ghor at first and use Jorgen instead of him exclusively, but his damage is just too sexy to ignore, Rank 5 Rift Cleaver with him does over 100k on his own heh.

BlackKanda
04-02-2011, 12:33 PM
That was a low BR indeed. I had, too, all the combat arts for everyone up to V, but then, having let's say David's Requiem V is not the same with having Peerless Requiem V [Requiem -> Nimble Requiem -> Mighty -> Swift -> Peerless Requiem], plus I was training Leucetius, whom you can get only very late in the game, to become a Warlock. :P

I have also this habit of training my union leaders learning the appropriate Arcana spells, and healers Rejuvenating Water V.

Final characters for this play-through:
David, Torgal, Allan, Emmy, Pagus, Madd0x [first time playing him till the end, and I don't understand why Steam feels the need to censor his name!?!], Blocter, Caedmon, Thore, Rush, Baulson, McGrady, Wyngale, Leucetius, Irina, Paris, Gabriel and Khrynia.

About your Torgal: It hasn't to do with him being a DeathKnight. Mine learned Hawkarang while being a Cleric -- level 5 in the Mystic+Combat path. You should train his combat arts exclusively to have him learn the weapon art.

The thing is that they don't all upgrade their combat arts at the same pace. Caedmon, for example, if you get him as soon as you have access to Elysion, will have learnt Peerless Scattered Petals a little before mid-game, especially if you train in Aveclyff during Wisdom's Echo quest, while David's Peerless Requiem can take a long time if you also train items to get him into Assassin path.

Have you killed Demigod and the Gates of Hell?

BobT36
04-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Yep done both of those.

Demigod actually gave me some trouble because he was Enthralling and Cursing CONSTANTLY, as well as hand of god sploding people's heads.

I did have most of my arts off for training though, but the majority of his attacks drastically reduced morale so I was hardly ever able to get some powerful arts off. When I switched a couple back on though and switched Catchexia back on it was a lot easier. I have a complex about doing it without most people dead though so I restarted it a few times. :P

Also as soon as I finished reading, Torgal learned Hawkarang :D:D:D:D

And heh yeah, I didn't start getting the Swift / Peerless versions of arts till quite late game though, but Caedmon has just got Scattered petals up to R5 peerless now.

Finishing training a couple more arts then I've just got the Seven, Lost (meh), WC and Endboss to do now.

This game has sapped so much of my life, its worse than bloody wow! :P

And yeah Leicitus looked alright but feck training him after all the time I've spent. Very late in the game = Right at the end. XD

No idea why they censor Madd0x either. :S

BlackKanda
04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
In all my play-throughs [with the exception of the very first one, of course] Caedmon is the first to get Peerless combat arts while David is the first to learn his weapon art.

I will agree the game is time-consuming but only the first time and then only if you want to perfect everyone in your unions. That's what I meant when I said I gave up at BR 154 in a low BR game. I could have gone for the final boss at level 82, but I decided to train them all, including Leucetius... well, after having spent 60+ BRs in Ancient Ruins I got sick and tired.

Anyway, what it matters is whether you like it or, not. I prefer playing (and replaying) games I enjoy rather than trying new ones of questionable quality. But that's just me. :)

BobT36
04-02-2011, 04:30 PM
haha aye, still though you're insane training Leucetius and especially Rejuvinating Water R5, was that hard as hell to get? Must be a bloody rare chance to get that combination of spells. :/

I managed to get Emmy to learn Rejuvinating Water R4 though on the Fallen heh, which is kinda cool cause she uses it now and then in a union that only has 3 people. :D

BlackKanda
04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Same here. First time I fought the Fallen it was Emmy who learned RW (usually it's Irina who learns it first).

RW is not that hard really, I'd say it's one of the easiest Arcanas, (you just need the union leader to know the higher level spells, like Support V, Kiss of Life IV, or Second Chance III), and same goes for Blackout, but you need to be careful what you are doing when you are choosing class paths at the same time. I usually train arts for the selected class and then everything else. This time I trained Rush strictly on dual wield Katanas and Wards to get him into Commander -> Ninja and then started trainning his mystic arts. Caedmon is also easy to train if you want him to learn Whiteout.

I don't understand why they made Leucetius available at such a late stage of the game though. The guy is really nice and the talking to get his bonus parametres is hilarious.

BobT36
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
LOL Yeah it was similar to Gaou's, where Ghor apparently turned up in a mask (with Remnant weapon) and battered him allover the place.

Love the humour they put into the game tbh, some of the quest descriptions are fantastic, same with the talking dialogue and so on, as well as everything that Khyrnia says. XD

Never had a problem with any of the arcanas besides Rejuvinating water tbh, it was only really on Fallen / Demigod, and in the Ancient ruins that I'd ever been able to get an ENTIRE union to all need to heal at once heh.

BobT36
04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, finally done (http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3895/remnantf.jpg).

Managed to do EVERYTHING bar getting all arts to rank 5 (got most to 5, others to r3) and the Faleria Heart (can only get that the second time obv). It shouldn't have took THAT long, grr.

Was a very enjoyable game, and a great piece of art, reminded me of the old square RPGs in quality, but was in no way a clone of them. Had some HORRIBLY frustrating points like THE GRINDING AHHHHH! All those F***ing rare components and monsters really made it feel like work. Awkwardness in the characters early on didn't help, bit of a cliche story but got a bit better near the end, with twists and awesomeness and when the characters started working together.

But yeah was mainly the component grinding and all the damn unrelated sidequests really threw me off track with getting "hooked" into the story and game itself. The weapon system was just downright annoying (why the f*** did I haveto modify a file just to chose what weapons I wanted on what characters?) and the request system was irritating, (HAI I WANT 5 LANDWORM TESTICLES PL0X every 2 minutes, when I had craploads in my bag already) along with absolutely NO information on how the majority of the game mechanics worked, I'd have been lost without the wiki!

Once I read up on things though and figured it out, I started to take control and things got better in the second half, it was just a pity I only learned things like weapon arts and got the weapons nicely upgraded properly (along with half of the bloody characters) RIGHT at the end of the damn game lol.

Otherwise though it did have its good points, being able to save anywhere was a bonus, the combat while frustrating sometimes in that ya had no (not much) control over yer actions, felt new and innovative, nice to have a game thats strategic with multiple partys and fun to fight in, the battles really did feel like BATTLES, (though could have done with a few more enemies, and letting you have 25 chars in party). It had a HUGE array of items (too many that ya needed to collect) each with their own description, and LOTS of different weapons to use, there was a lot of good humour injected into the story and sidequest descriptions and so on too.

Doing away with random battles and instead letting you choose how / when you fight was nice, and especially seeing the characters battling away while you're choosing options, and even seeing them use their magic and skills at other times than when you click "Ready". Seeing them use their actual weapons in cutscenes was a MASSIVE <3 point too as it made things feel a lot more personal, as well as having events in the game adapt to what sidequests you did and so on, (though again they could have actually been tied into the main story a bit better to detract from it less).

The graphics were absolutely fantastic, REALLY high in quality and well done. I could tell there was a LOT of work put into the environments, especially the cities really made you go WOW when you looked at them, however it was a pity the player was restricted to seeing / exploring only a tiny portion most of the time, and ya had to really put yerself out to notice the lovely parts that someone must have spent yonks painstakingly creating, because you were too busy zipping around GRINDING.

The sounds and music were absolutely fantastic too, the story themes fit perfectly (I STILL end up whistling David's theme all the time, grr) and the battle themes were top notch and pretty awesome tbh, having the music adapt to how the battles going was great too, as soon as it started playing the "You're getting your ♥♥♥ kicked" theme as my morale dropped I was like Oh noes...

So yep, after actually playing it all way through and finishing it, I can say its a bloody fantastic game, just if yer wanting to complete everything then be prepared, just a pitty the few frustrating points let it down so much else although already pretty good, I'd have classed it as on of my top games tbh.

TheoS_89
04-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I salute you for what seems like a perfect play-through (the art levels are such a minor thing :)). But even with my three play-throughs I don't have 500 hours on the clock, so you are worthy to call yourself the most enduring TLR player ever. :D

BlackKanda
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll fully agree with TheoS. Well done! :D
The replay (whenever that might be) is going to be more enjoyable and fun though. It has been for me at least.

Bish0p
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I just think the game could of used some tlc.. It had a good idea and interesting characters but they never developed and it seems like it was just way to fast to get to the boss and way to easy to kill him. This game could of been so epic.. I still enjoyed my time in it though.