PDA

View Full Version : īDragon Age wonīt launch

Magaru
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey, guys,

wonder if you can help me out here, for the past couple hours I canīt seem to be able to play Dragon Age.

I click on the "Play" button, the dialog box opens, I choose the top option (play Dragon Age) and, as usual, the pop-up window appears with the message "Preparing to launch Dragon Age. Origins..."
But then that window disappears and nothing happens.
For a while I thought it was a Karspersky problem but no conflicts there.

I really donīt wanna have to reinstall the game and re-download it from Steam again because ... thatīs another afternoon lost right there.
I am starting to have the feeling that thatīs my last/only option, though.

Can you help me, please?

JackM
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
First, you should check the integrity of your game cache (right-click on game in Steam interface, select Properties, open Local Files tab and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache... If any files are missing or corrupted in your DA:O installation, they will be redownloaded.

Second, launch the various third-party installers located in Steam\SteamApps\common\dragon age origins\redist to update your system. These installers are:
- DXSETUP.exe in DirectX folder
- Setup.EXE in NetFx20SP2_x86 folder if you are using Windows XP
- PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe in PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware folder
- vcredist.msi in VisualCRT and VisualCRT-ATL folders

Magaru
10-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi, JackM,

thank you so much for your post.

unfortunately, none of it worked.:(

Now, I am starting to get nervous, I was really lookuing forward to playing it this weekend.

Megaxtar
10-16-2010, 09:26 AM
go into the launcher and check your config, also try logging out and back in.

django623
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
same problem with me, none of the above fixed.

erocker
10-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Same here. This just started happening for me as of yesterday. Haven't had any issues previously. :confused:

Magaru
10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
This is really aggravating.

I tried login off, login in, uninstalling Steam, reinstalling it again, downloading DA:O again and nothing appears to be working.

MisterMarbles
10-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Hey, guys,

wonder if you can help me out here, for the past couple hours I canīt seem to be able to play Dragon Age.

I click on the "Play" button, the dialog box opens, I choose the top option (play Dragon Age) and, as usual, the pop-up window appears with the message "Preparing to launch Dragon Age. Origins..."

I really donīt wanna have to reinstall the game and re-download it from Steam again because ... thatīs another afternoon lost right there.

Can you help me, please?

Stupid question: I know you are playing on Steam, but did you buy the Steam version, or are you using a retail version with a DVD?

Magaru
10-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I bought the Steam version, downloaded directly from their online store.

Trickle
10-18-2010, 01:24 PM
From your first post, you have only clicked the play button. Have you tried the config option?

Additionally, it might be kaspersky, as Dage certainly installs an extra updating service, which has caused me issues before (tries to load on windows startup).

Magaru
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I checked the config but Iīm not sure what to be on the lookout for.

Trickle
10-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Have a fiddle.

Check the screen res. Assuming it was set to the correct, try windowed in a smaller res instead. Try disabling the intro movies.

Clear download cache option. Disable all the upload options. Firewall exception, though you will need to exit your own firewall/security manually.

That sort of thing.

Magaru
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Trickle.

I tried all that but it didnīt work. :(

snap777
10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Had the same problem. Restart your computer, should start properly then.

Magaru
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
In the weeks since this problem began, I have restarted my computer several times.

So far, no change.

Trickle
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Time to reinstall the OS then.

I'd suggest installing steam graphics drivers etc and DAge first before any security software.

Magaru
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I just reinstalled Windows XP two months ago.

Everything is running smoothly.

Except this game.

django623
10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
We really shouldn't have to re-install windows to make this game work.

Megaxtar
10-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Hey, guys,

Can you help me, please?

What are your system specs?

djtam88
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Woooo I am having these problems now but only after I fixed the same problem with Garshap the monster slayer and the issue persist, reinstalling but I am not happy about it.

GisleAune
07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Got the same problem. Try to locate the DAOrigins.exe and start it, it should give an error where steam just shuts down the game.

If it's 'PhysX not found', the lazy-man's way out is the find the physX dll and all the ones around it and copy them over to (dragon age installation)\bin_ship.

Updating PhysX might also work.