PDA

View Full Version : Securom problems, only on GTA IV and GTA Episodes o.o Help plz!

IvanDoomer
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi masters,

I'm on an annoying problem and I'm really really begging for help.

99% of trials when I open GTA IV ir GTA Episodes, it returns "SecuROM Launcher has stopped working" error.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 professional, I already reinstalled all bunches apps (visual c++, .net framework 3.5, directx, updated video driver, etc) and still on problem.

I already did integrity check on steam, already updated securom driver using SecuROM Diagnostic Tool, already reinstalled game updates downloading manually from Rockstar.

I don't have virtual drivers installed, already disabled all my startup programs including antivirus and still on problem.

Already tried to disable Steam Community and already tried to launch game from LaunchGTAIV.exe instead opening from Steam.

I already contacted SecuROM by mail support@securom.com and they answer on all times that my machine is missing the .NET Framework 3.5, but it's not, including that it's already included on Windows 7.

Another SecuROM games as DiRT 2 works fine, I have more than 600 games (http://steamcommunity.com/id/doomer/) running very fine on my machine, only these GTAs IV don't run fine.

Please, any tip?

Thanks a lot.

edit > Hardware:
Windows 7 x64
2TB HD for Steam games
Intel Core2Quad 2.66ghz
8GB RAM Memory
2x GeForce GTX465 (already tried disabling SLI)

Thanks again

Users w/ problems: IvanDoomer, Wilson, upn2daleft, thewarzonexl

How to fix it: UNINSTALL INTERNET EXPLORER 9 BETA!

Deadly_Target
10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
How To Get GTAIV Running (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8588179)SecuROM Launcher Has Stopped Working
Cause: You are running the D3DOverrider application that comes with RivaTuner.
Solution: Disable/Uninstall the D3DOverrider application.

That's the only solution I could find. Good luck!

IvanDoomer
10-15-2010, 12:21 AM
How To Get GTAIV Running (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8588179)

That's the only solution I could find. Good luck!

But I don't have RivaTuner installed...

Wilson
10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I just installed a new GeForce GTS450 card today to replace my 9400 GT and I'm getting the same crash. Also no RivaTuner installed, latest driver is installed. What's going on here? Why ship with DRM if it doesn't stop the pirates from cracking but keeps buyers from playing?

IvanDoomer
10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
They (SecuROM support) answered more 2 times, first asking to download a new GTAIV launcher and another asking me to enable windows compatibility on launcher to Windows XP.

Changing the launcher didn't work, I will try using compatibility mode on 10pm (gmt -3) and feedback here any progress.

IvanDoomer
10-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Problem persists.

terrible.

upn2daleft
10-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I started getting this same SecuRom error a few days ago. Funny thing is I've been playing for a few months now without any problems and now all of a sudden it started out of no where. Only new thing that I installed was Microsoft Works 2007. Seemed to start after that.

IvanDoomer
10-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I started getting this same SecuRom error a few days ago. Funny thing is I've been playing for a few months now without any problems and now all of a sudden it started out of no where. Only new thing that I installed was Microsoft Works 2007. Seemed to start after that.

Me too! I just updated my video driver!

So, I already rolled back my driver and problem persists o.o

I suppose that an windows update patch did it... or a .Net Framework fix...

Wilson
10-16-2010, 02:12 PM
It actually started working again last night on its own. Not sure why it was crashing in the first place, but it works again now.

upn2daleft
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
It actually started working again last night on its own. Not sure why it was crashing in the first place, but it works again now.

Still not working for me. I have to launch it a bunch of times, after the 5th time it will usually work.

IvanDoomer
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Still not working for me. I have to launch it a bunch of times, after the 5th time it will usually work.

I opened now and it worked on first time, closed, opened again and fail, again and fail, fail, fail..

thewarzonexl
10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm having this problem too. I contacted Rockstar Support about my problem and they sent me a solution that didn't help me one bit.

Wilson
10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, it appears to happen off and on. Usually it takes about 5 tries to start successfully, but then GTA itself might crash about 20 or 30 minutes later. Perhaps new unstable drivers are to blame?

IvanDoomer
10-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Ok, it appears to happen off and on. Usually it takes about 5 tries to start successfully, but then GTA itself might crash about 20 or 30 minutes later. Perhaps new unstable drivers are to blame?

I already did roolback on my driver and problem persists

iDarkRed
10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, didn't know this problem was so widespread. I have the exact same problem. "SecuROM Launcher has stopped working" shows up and the game won't start - or it WILL start, but then crash right before the Rockstar Games logos.

IvanDoomer
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Stupid question: Everybody installed Internet Explorer 9 beta?

I unninstalled this and the game stopped to crash (for now)

Wilson
10-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Stupid question: Everybody installed Internet Explorer 9 beta?

I unninstalled this and the game stopped to crash (for now)
That seems to be it! I uninstalled the IE9 beta and the game runs fine, now. No news screen, though. Perhaps I need to reinstall Flash-for-IE for that to work again.

iDarkRed
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Yep, that's it! Worked wonders for me. :)

So to everybody: Uninstall the Internet Explorer 9 Beta if you have it installed!

upn2daleft
10-21-2010, 06:30 PM
when are they gonna fix this already, it's annoying. first, graphics issues, now this.

Gonzalo
10-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Same pb with vista 32B

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5908/capturerhk.png
By gm74 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/gm74) at 2010-10-23

IvanDoomer
10-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Same pb with vista 32B

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5908/capturerhk.png
By gm74 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/gm74) at 2010-10-23

Do you have RivaTuner or Internet Explorer 9 installed?

Uninstall both.

upn2daleft
10-25-2010, 02:14 PM
So what happens when IE9 goes live?

I didnt uninstall IE9 'cause I like it, so I'm just putting up with this for now with GTA4. I wonder if the same thing will happen with IE9 final.

Metro
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Switch to a decent browser like Firefox or Opera?

pez0
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Switch to a decent browser like Firefox or Opera?

Why on earth should somebody have to switch their web browser to play a game?

God damn DRM.

jaycob
10-31-2010, 05:37 PM

God damn DRM.

I don't even have IE9 on my PC anymore and im still getting this LOL, DRM needs to get cancer already..

seanpyke
11-06-2010, 05:09 AM
I had the same problem. Uninstalled IE 9, all fixed.

spyrochaete
11-06-2010, 07:17 AM
I had the same issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but the problem persisted.

Since it was a Securom error I went to securom.com for help. As per their recommendation on the website I tried the SecuROM Diagnostics Tool (https://support.securom.com/analysis.php) and pointed it to ...\steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\LaunchGTAIV.exe . I let it run for 2 or 3 minutes and it told me there was an update available. I downloaded and installed the update and now the game works. Oh, and Internet Explorer 9 beta works too!

My advice - don't play whack a mole with your PC, uninstalling and rolling back everything until the desired program works. Just look at the error message you're getting and find the corresponding fix. If it's a Securom error then go to Securom's website. I had the problem fixed in 5 minutes.

IvanDoomer
11-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I had the same issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but the problem persisted.

Since it was a Securom error I went to securom.com for help. As per their recommendation on the website I tried the SecuROM Diagnostics Tool (https://support.securom.com/analysis.php) and pointed it to ...\steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\LaunchGTAIV.exe . I let it run for 2 or 3 minutes and it told me there was an update available. I downloaded and installed the update and now the game works. Oh, and Internet Explorer 9 beta works too!

My advice - don't play whack a mole with your PC, uninstalling and rolling back everything until the desired program works. Just look at the error message you're getting and find the corresponding fix. If it's a Securom error then go to Securom's website. I had the problem fixed in 5 minutes.

I was already using the updated version, didn't solved for me.

IvanDoomer
11-06-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't even have IE9 on my PC anymore and im still getting this LOL, DRM needs to get cancer already..

I just need to ask: Why DRM still exists if they do not hold piracy?

Th3 ProphetMan
11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
So what happens when IE9 goes live?

I didnt uninstall IE9 'cause I like it, so I'm just putting up with this for now with GTA4. I wonder if the same thing will happen with IE9 final.

Betas are like that they crash and mess up things, when IE9 goes live they will have to see if problem still persists and if so patch it, but it's indeed good to know the source of the problem. I have IE9 beta too so when EFLC finishes downloading i guess i'll get this nice error too.

Consider though that IE9 final is still some months away from release and there will probably be RCs before that so you may want to use chrome or firefox betas instead for the time being, if those don't mess up the game, that is ;)

robralo
11-28-2010, 06:12 AM
wow, i just happen to come accross this and im glad i read till the end. my gta 4 wasnt working last week, with ie9 beta, but i reinstalled os a few days ago and gta 4 worked. now i have ie9 beta back and i downloaded EFLC (on sale) and it wont work. gta 4 isn't on here right now or i would check it, but in the meantime i am reinstalling EFLC and going to uninstall ie9 beta. thanks so much, im 95% sure this will fix my problem.

IvanDoomer
11-28-2010, 09:18 PM
wow, i just happen to come accross this and im glad i read till the end. my gta 4 wasnt working last week, with ie9 beta, but i reinstalled os a few days ago and gta 4 worked. now i have ie9 beta back and i downloaded EFLC (on sale) and it wont work. gta 4 isn't on here right now or i would check it, but in the meantime i am reinstalling EFLC and going to uninstall ie9 beta. thanks so much, im 95% sure this will fix my problem.

great!

MrZoolook
12-31-2010, 04:00 AM

God damn DRM.

Or, to put it another way, why on earth should IE9 interfere with SecuRom in the first place?

Why on earth should somebody have to launch a game 5 times to run it once so they can use IE9?

Since people without IE9 dont run into this "particular" problem and those that do get around it by uninstalling IE9, this "particular" problem is caused by IE9, NOT SecuRom or XP compatibility or 64 bit over 32, or anything else!

The choice as it stands is... live with the problem, or solve it and uninstall IE9.

Yachmenev
12-31-2010, 04:20 AM
Unless I see som proof that D3DOverrider and IE9 does some exceptionaly stupid things and that they conflict with other software applications, then this is living proof that Securom needs to go away. Its malware and a only a source of technical problems that punishes those who actually has bought the game.

Once the game has been cracked by any group and leaked on the internet, securom does nothing to prevent piracy. Nothing.

Or, to put it another way, why on earth should IE9 interfere with SecuRom in the first place?

[..]

The choice as it stands is... live with the problem, or solve it and uninstall IE9.

IE9 is an actual application that serves a genuine purpose. Securom does nothing for the paying customer. The answer to which one that needs to go away is very simple.

JottiLF
12-31-2010, 04:43 AM
Since people without IE9 dont run into this "particular" problem and those that do get around it by uninstalling IE9, this "particular" problem is caused by IE9, NOT SecuRom or XP compatibility or 64 bit over 32, or anything else!

This is a classic example of flawed reasoning. Correlation does not imply causality.

Securom does nothing for the paying customer. The answer to which one that needs to go away is very simple.
This.

MrZoolook
12-31-2010, 04:56 AM
Yes, IE9 does do something for the paying customer... it stops them using what they have paid for.

JottiLF
12-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Sir, you see a causal connection where none needs exist. It is obvious the events are related, but stating without further study that one of them is 'the cause' of the problem and everything else is 'just not' is silly, especially since software compatibility issues are often caused by a combination of factors. If a key fails to unlock a door, it is not necessarily a bad key (the lock could be broken or frozen, or something could be stuck inside it, etc.).

Whether SecuROM is at fault in this case or not and whether SecuROM is something the end user should tolerate or not are all open for debate, but I think most will agree it does nothing for the end user. (I explicitly say 'end user' because SecuROM's customers are of course the game developers/publishers and not the people who pay to play games).

-Wanted-
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
- Sigh -

DavidA
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Whether SecuROM is at fault in this case or not and whether SecuROM is something the end user should tolerate or not are all open for debate, [....]

Agreed. I had GTAIV in my shopping cart, went back to the description and saw that I somehow missed that it had SecuROM, and then promptly deleted it from my cart. That's the second game I had to do that with in this sale, (other one was Dawn of Discovery with Tages), and it's unfortunate because I would have happily bought both, otherwise.

chkdsk1991
01-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Thank god I saw this thread in my google research, was about to reinstall all the game(and since I don't have any backups that would have meant re-download the infamouse 16 GB)

ZeroCast
04-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Hey guys.

It seems that numerous amount of people are facing this issue with SecuRom and after installing GTA IV, I also jumped on that bandwagon and found this thread to ask for help.

Each time I run GTA IV, I get two errors "SteamActivation.exe has stopped working" and right after that "SecuRom Launcher has stopped working".

I tried everything, updating SecuRom, reinstalling C++ Redistributables, people mentioned uninstalling IE9 which I don't even have installed :S, nothing has worked so far and if anyone has any solution for this I would really appreciate their help.