PDA

View Full Version : Skill Unlock Packs for PvE

Trodamus
10-15-2010, 09:42 PM
How do these work? It unlocks the skill to be available at skill trainers in the campaign, but does that mean I need to spend in-game currency training these skills?

Gentle
10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Either pay gold to a skill trainer or use a tome for the profession you want to get a skill for.

Gentle

MithranArkanere
10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Skill unlock packs unlock all skills for all characters, but a skill being 'unlocked' means something different for PvP and PvE characters.

To unlock a skill, you can either pay with Balthazar faction to a priest of Balthazar or you can learn it with a PvE character Once unlocked, it's unlocked for the entire account.

For PvP characters, any and all unlocked skills are also learned skills. They have access to all of them.
This works like that also for heroes both in PvE and PvP. Once you unlock a skill, any and all hero in your account has learned the skill.

For PvE characters, 'unlocked' means that they are available in skill trainers of the region they belong to, and in ALL tomes and elite tomes.
But you will still have to pay for the skills in the trainer, or get the tomes for the profession of the skill you want to learn, and for elite skills, you will still have to capture them from a boss or learn them from an elite tome of the profession the skill belongs to.

In Prophecies, there are also TONS of skill quests that reward you with skills for your primary and secondary professions. You save a lot of cash with those.
In Nightfall, and Eye of the North, there are also Hero skill trainers that teach you skills even if they are of a different profession. But if you change to that profession you'll see them learned, and you heroes will have them.
In Eye of the North, there are also skill quests, but they are for PvE-Only skills.
PvE-only skills are NEVER unlocked, and can only be learned and used in PvE. Since they can't be unlocked, only learned, Heroes can't use them.

Once the character pays for the skill in a trainer, captures it, earns it as a quest reward or learns it from a tome, the skill is not only unlocked for the account, but also 'learned' by that character.

What's the catch? Not all trainers have all skills by default, but
unlocked skills will appear in ALL trainers of a region.
So, if you don't have unlocked any monk skills, Zhao Di in Shing Jea will offer you only 4 monk skills.
But if you unlock any other monk skill, Zhao Di will have them since them.

In Factions and Nightfall, the last trainer offers ALL normal skills. So all you have to do to get them all unlocked is get to those trainers and buy them all.
I did that with my elementalist.
I got to the last trainer, bought them all, and the my other characters ha all skills available, without having to pay for an unlock pack.

In Prophecies, not a single trainer has them all, so you'll have to do all quests and look around a little to find them all.

So, basically, skill unlock packs are a quick way to get access to them, instant for PvP and heroes, faster for PvE characters. But not really worth it unless for PvP-only accounts, so they can save a lot of Balthazar faction for other purposes.

If you ask me, I'll get just the item unlock pack and the pet pack.
While getting all skills unlocked is rather fast, getting all armor and weapon upgrades for PvP characters takes ages, and being able to quickly mod a PvP character always come in handy.
As for the pet pack, I was just lazy, so I got it to get the basic ones faster, and not having to level them up to level 20.

Curseman
10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
does that mean I need to spend in-game currency training these skills?

Yes it does.

ksac42
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
So I bought all 4 games via steam and started with factions. Made an Elementalist/Assassin. If I buy the skill packs, would I be able to buy assassin's promise or sandstorm right from a trainer or still have to do the appropriate quests?

lok0812
12-28-2010, 09:35 AM
So I bought all 4 games via steam and started with factions. Made an Elementalist/Assassin. If I buy the skill packs, would I be able to buy assassin's promise or sandstorm right from a trainer or still have to do the appropriate quests?

The skill pack only unlock all the skills in the game for your PVP characters/heroes. In order for your PVE characters to get the skills unlocked by the skill pack you will need to learn it using the class tome.

So if you do buy the skill pack, yes you can obtain the skills for your PVE characters from the reg/elite tomes but not from the trainers since trainers don't teach elite skills.

ksac42
12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
And where do you get the tomes themselves?

lok0812
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
And where do you get the tomes themselves?

- Random drop in hard mode from enemies of the corresponding profession. (non-elite version)
- Random drop from bosses of the corresponding profession in hard mode (elite version)
- Locked Chest
- Zaishen Chest
- Zaishen Coin collectors
- Buy from other players