PDA

View Full Version : first complaint for a purchase, I thought Steam was a place to buy good games!

Mordt
10-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I've bought hundreds of games over the past decade, some really good ones some bad. I've never felt the need to complain about a purchase of a game before. I bought Cities XL 2011 last night and want a refund. I know I can't because of Steams return policy but I just cannot believe Steam allowed this piece of drivel onto their stores damning their reputation in my eyes.

I always thought of Steam a place to purchase good games, the commercial ones and also the indie gems that are here but wow this game is unplayable.

I cant even Shift Tab the serial number away. Menus take a good 4-5 seconds to open, how did this pass QA?

Behind all this mess probably lies a good game, but something here is terribly wrong.

At least in Australia if you trade here we have consumer protection laws with which I will follow my rights up, but STEAM what where you thinking????

xzoltan
10-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't know if you read my post, but it seems to be a problem with the Steam version only. I agree it shouldn't have happened, but at least it's not the game itself that's the problem. Can't say what it is, but other people have the same problem as well. At least it sounds like the problem I had as well.

sfade
10-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Probably related to the Steam overlay or something. It's a pain, but I'd suspect that it'll be sorted out.

Em'nys
10-16-2010, 12:37 AM
if its a steam problem you can also get it on impulse i believe had no problems with it so far, can't remember if its cheaper but it works well enough for me atleast :P

Kewp
10-16-2010, 01:16 AM
relax and wait for a patch

sarcacid
10-16-2010, 03:40 AM
I always thought of Steam a place to purchase good games,

Hazen is worse than Cities XL, dood!

xzoltan
10-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi,

I always thought of Steam a place to purchase good games

It IS a good game. I do believe what you are pissed about it a Steam related problem, not the game itself. I've played it for hours now, and I love it, (not the Steam version), and found a few bugs, but nothing game destroying. Yet.

Sharkfood
10-16-2010, 11:03 AM
The Steam version is simply unplayable, and I wish fans and zealots like xzoltan would specify they aren't playing the Steam version in other threads to hopefully save more people from wasting money on this game.

Until the UI issue is fixed, this game is nearly unplayable with the Steam version. Some people call it a "lag" issue, which makes some people just buy it figuring it's some guy with a crap computer, but it's NOT A LAG ISSUE. It's the UI is broken, likely due to an incompatibility with SecuROM and Steam's own DRM. And no, disabling the Steam overlay doesn't help.

In a nutshell, if you buy the STEAM version, every time you click ANYTHING in the game, it locks up completely for 1-3 seconds. Click. Frozen............... ok, it works again. Click. Frozen............. ok it pops up. Count anywhere from "one-one-thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand" when playing the Retail game to get the feeling of just how bad this sucks.

Also, shame on Focus for simply tuning up the 2009 version slightly and re-packaging it as a new game. It doesn't even have VSYNC and the game itself is just a recompile with maybe a few small changes. Add this huge STEAM-only bug with the UI and Steam purchasers should STEER CLEAR until they have these issues ironed out. Given the track record with 2009, it's a gamble if they will even care or ever will.

xzoltan
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
The Steam version is simply unplayable, and I wish fans and zealots like xzoltan would specify they aren't playing the Steam version in other threads to hopefully save more people from wasting money on this game.

Until the UI issue is fixed, this game is nearly unplayable with the Steam version. Some people call it a "lag" issue, which makes some people just buy it figuring it's some guy with a crap computer, but it's NOT A LAG ISSUE. It's the UI is broken, likely due to an incompatibility with SecuROM and Steam's own DRM. And no, disabling the Steam overlay doesn't help.

In a nutshell, if you buy the STEAM version, every time you click ANYTHING in the game, it locks up completely for 1-3 seconds. Click. Frozen............... ok, it works again. Click. Frozen............. ok it pops up. Count anywhere from "one-one-thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand" when playing the Retail game to get the feeling of just how bad this sucks.

Also, shame on Focus for simply tuning up the 2009 version slightly and re-packaging it as a new game. It doesn't even have VSYNC and the game itself is just a recompile with maybe a few small changes. Add this huge STEAM-only bug with the UI and Steam purchasers should STEER CLEAR until they have these issues ironed out. Given the track record with 2009, it's a gamble if they will even care or ever will.

I don't know if I totally misunderstood you, but I actually did state in all the threads I'm writing in that it was a Steam version problem I was having with the delays :)

Sharkfood
10-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I said "in other threads" - I'm chasing down all your "It plays great! GET IT!" posts here since most of them are misleading to Steam purchasers.

And no, you didn't specify the non-Steam version as you and others post how much you like the game, how you don't regret buying it, etc. etc.

I bought my copy after reading here figuring the few "lag" issues people talked about (in between Focus fans raving and saying it's great for them, but NOT saying the Steam version sucks) was either the overlay or crappy computers since there are so many here saying it works great.

Well, seems the "works great" needs to be edited on this forum by all the Funcom fans to say "works great IF YOU DONT BUY IT HERE ON STEAM" since it doesn't work great. It works like A$$ and is a total waste of $$ if you buy the Steam version.

xzoltan
10-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I said "in other threads" - I'm chasing down all your "It plays great! GET IT!" posts here since most of them are misleading to Steam purchasers.

And no, you didn't specify the non-Steam version as you and others post how much you like the game, how you don't regret buying it, etc. etc.

I bought my copy after reading here figuring the few "lag" issues people talked about (in between Funcom fans raving and saying it's great for them, but NOT saying the Steam version sucks) was either the overlay or crappy computers since there are so many here saying it works great.

Well, seems the "works great" needs to be edited on this forum by all the Funcom fans to say "works great IF YOU DONT BUY IT HERE ON STEAM" since it doesn't work great. It works like A$$ and is a total waste of $$ if you buy the Steam version.

Well, I see 1 post in 1 thread (from me) where I don't say there is a problem with the Steam version. But it had already been pointed out. So, if you didn't figure it out that there was a problem with the Steam version, it's really your own fault. :)

ScratchyGato
10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Hazen is worse than Cities XL, dood!

Yes. There's been plenty of stinkers :p

dementedlullaby
10-17-2010, 12:57 AM
It's not Steams fault at all, they have nothing to do with development of this game. It would be like blaming Gamestop/EBgames because you didn't like a game they sold.

Besides if you read anywhere about this game you see how many problems the previous version had that the company refuses to fix.

sfade
10-17-2010, 01:33 AM
It's not Steams fault at all, they have nothing to do with development of this game. It would be like blaming Gamestop/EBgames because you didn't like a game they sold.

Besides if you read anywhere about this game you see how many problems the previous version had that the company refuses to fix.

Steam is quite different from buying a retail copy, you have the overlay and other functions that can impact a graphics engine. Sometimes problems do arise because of it, but they are usually patched out quickly.

It also seems you are unaware the original company no longer has a part in the game. The rights were sold to Focus, which is a completely new company.

If you are going to try and refute what someone says, at least try to have a minimum grasp of the subjects involved before entirely dismissing them out of sheer defensiveness and going on to claim it's the fault of a company no longer part of the equation.

No, the problem is not exactly Steam, but related to it and they will likely work with them in solving it. Already FI has begun gathering logs to troubleshoot the issue arising with Steam, they aren't and didn't ditch the game as with the original developer.