PDA

View Full Version : New vegas save games lost.

Acecool
10-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Before I went to bed, I saved the game where I found all the caravans that this girl was looking for.. 3 of them. I join today, and its reverted to a save before I did all of the quests with her.

What is going on?

Fortyseven203
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I lost about the first hour of my gameplay so far from save games just up and vanishing. I repeatedly saved, and I quit, Steam claimed the game was "unavailable", so I restarted, launched the game, and found myself back on the Doc's couch just before he shows me the door. VERY frustrating, and not a good way to start a game.

Vaemer-Riit
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Check your manual saves, steam cloud is destroying autosaves and quicksaves.

Fortyseven203
10-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I made a manual save before quitting, this time. Hopefully that's the case. :)

Underlef
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I too ran into this problem last night. Strange thing was that I had crashed earlier in the day and the game loaded up from the sleep autosave right before I crashed. Later that night I crashed again and it wiped about 3 hours of gameplay back to just a random manual save. As far as I can tell this save has no relavence. It was about the 4th out of maybe 10 manual saves of that session.

Evilsearat
10-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I thought it was weird hearing that this was happening to everyone else and I hadn't seen so much as a crash. Now I come back to the game after a short laundry break and find that I'm at a random save about 5 hours ago. I know it's just a game, but I don't really have words for how frustrating that is.

Vaemer-Riit
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Heh, I had an old version of the Video Card Driver that was causing BSODs randomly with vats. Since every time I left the game it was through a BSOD I had no trouble with autosaves.

After fixing the BSOD problem now i have to be more careful with my saves.

Underlef
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought it was weird hearing that this was happening to everyone else and I hadn't seen so much as a crash. Now I come back to the game after a short laundry break and find that I'm at a random save about 5 hours ago. I know it's just a game, but I don't really have words for how frustrating that is.

It is frustrating. When it happened to me I couldn't bare doing all that walking and talking to all those people again and doing those missions again. I guess the good thing is if it didn't happen I probably would have played all night.

Fortyseven203
10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I just disabled Steam Cloud support in the properties menu on the Library page for this game, and it's still eating the saves. Manual saves seem to work, as Vaemer-Riit mentioned.

On the positive side, that DX9 dll going around DID fix the horrible frame rate I was suffering.

This is some inexcusable ♥♥♥♥, here, all around. To say that I am pissed is an understatement.

Underlef
10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I just disabled Steam Cloud support in the properties menu on the Library page for this game, and it's still eating the saves. Manual saves seem to work, as Vaemer-Riit mentioned.

On the positive side, that DX9 dll going around DID fix the horrible frame rate I was suffering.

This is some inexcusable ♥♥♥♥, here, all around. To say that I am jarateed is an understatement.

I'm pretty patient but they sure aren't being helpful in addressing this issue. I don't have the link but I remember a moderator on the official forum saying to start fallout and unplug your ethernet cable from your computer in an attempt to fix the problem. Hot fix ideas are all good but how about some info on the status and gameplan of actually fixing this issue to work as intended. The gaming industry is one of the only industries where you can purchase a product and have it not work as intended and theres not a lot you can do about it.

Disconnecting the ethernet just so you can save is like buying a car and having the steering wheel fall off and the dealership just telling you to drive with a pair of plyers (That they don't provide).

Fortyseven203
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
The gaming industry is one of the only industries where you can purchase a product and have it not work as intended and theres not a lot you can do about it.

Disconnecting the ethernet just so you can save is like buying a car and having the steering wheel fall off and the dealership just telling you to drive with a pair of plyers (That they don't provide).

I hear that. Heh. Probably just going to do what this other guy suggested: simply putting the game away for a week or so until we see a patch address this. I'm not going to troll around forums for half-baked hacks and whatnot when I could be putting that time to better use, than getting frustrated. :P

What adds insult to injury is that I have at least two other friends who are playing it (via Steam) who have had no such issues. Meh.

StingingVelvet
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I always make sure to manually save before quitting so I don't know for sure, but I would imagine having Steam in offline mode would solve the problem for now.

Underlef
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I hear that. Heh. Probably just going to do what this other guy suggested: simply putting the game away for a week or so until we see a patch address this. I'm not going to troll around forums for half-baked hacks and whatnot when I could be putting that time to better use, than getting frustrated. :P

What adds insult to injury is that I have at least two other friends who are playing it (via Steam) who have had no such issues. Meh.

Thats pretty much me too. I have two friends playing it that havn't had a single problem. Both on rigs a little worse than mine. But I also have a friend with the same issues as me.

But I'm with you, Theres a lot I could/should be doing instead of figuring half baked ways to fix this.

JK_DC
10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Anybody else getting multiple saves under the same number? I have 3 or 4 with a #2. It allows 1000 saves but is not numbering them properly in addition to the quick and autosaves not working.

nopk
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I dont use the steam cloud thing.. so I can't comment on that..

but one thing that did screw me up the other day.. I loaded the game.. and when the title screen popped up I chose 'continue' .. when my game loaded.. Id lost a couple hours of playtime.. I did some poking around and found that continue doesnt actually select the most recent saved game.. just the most recent autosave.. so I manually loaded my most recent all was ok..

good luck,

nopk

CoffeeCrazy
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Aaaaand there goes my saves for today.

Just lost about 4 hours of play due to a crash. Lovely. Why is autosave not working? I mean, it autosaves all the time, but if you crash, the autosaves are gone.

Blood_Crusader
10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I too ran into this problem last night. Strange thing was that I had crashed earlier in the day and the game loaded up from the sleep autosave right before I crashed. Later that night I crashed again and it wiped about 3 hours of gameplay back to just a random manual save. As far as I can tell this save has no relavence. It was about the 4th out of maybe 10 manual saves of that session.

Yeah, I keep losing my save games after game crashes too. I manually save a lot but lost about 5 hours of gameplay. Whenever I crash it updates Fallout New Vegas if that matters.

Moldova
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I just lost six hours of gameplay. Holy ♥♥♥♥.

tacitus
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I turned off the damned steam cloud thing and it is still restoring old crap - I don't give a flying f about anchievements or other claptrap. I thought they had turned it off; but its still hosing things for quick saves and autosaves. Thankfully normal saves seem unaffected.

HammerLegionary
10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I imagine this is avpretty big issue and really should have been resolved before release....But of course I don't work for Obsidian/Bethesda so it's kinda unfair for me to say that.

TheSynth
10-20-2010, 09:41 PM
For now I've just been using the console to save. It has become a habit already. Wherever I travel, open a door, do anything significant, I save.

JinseiZetsumei
10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
If steam cloud is really the problem... couldnt you just play it offline and not have an issue?

elixenie
10-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Guys it's a beta ok, don't complain. And remember Steam Cloud is new. Give them a couple years to work out the kinks.

BlackoutAU
10-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Guys it's a beta ok, don't complain. And remember Steam Cloud is new. Give them a couple years to work out the kinks.

Do you even know what beta means?

I am also experiencing losing saves. Both my quicksave and autosave are stuck at previous ones. I figured it was an issue with the Steam cloud however disabling it for New Vegas did not fix the issue.

Manual saving appears to be working however I fear it's going to go through the same problems as the quicksave and autosave. Any solutions would be really helpful, as without saving there's not much point in playing.

Lt Earthworm
10-20-2010, 11:29 PM
From the looks of it, some people are relying on quick saves as their "permanent" save. If you are, ur doin it rong. You should do a manual save before you stop playing. You can't even have more than one character if you rely on quick saves anyways

John1986
10-20-2010, 11:35 PM
well damn i had to make a new game before of this problam now when i restarted my game i find i got the old damn saves i deleted and the new ones from today aint no where in sight :(

WookieeCookie
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17848251

Putting this out there in case it helps you!

-------------------
Hey guys,

This saved game issue is a major pain. Here's how I found a way to get around it. (I first got help from this link: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...save-bugglitch thanks to the user Uberjumper, he was just missing one step, that I've included for you)

First, you have to find the folder that your saved games are stored.

For example Mine is: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

Now, copy the folder and save it somewhere else. This is just in case something goes wrong.

Now return to the original folder: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

In this folder you will see two types of files, one ends in .fos and the other in .bak

this is the order they appeared in my folder:

autosave.fos <--- This is the old file
autosave.fos.bak <---- This is the file you want
etc
etc

Okay, now keep this folder open and load New Vegas. Once you are on the Main Menu for New Vegas, Minimize your game, and return to your saved games folder.

find "autosave.fos" and change it to "oldautosave.fos"

then find "autosave.fos.bak" and change it to "autosave.fos"

Now, switch back to New Vegas, click on load game, and you will be able to find your old autosave listed.

First thing you should do when you reload your game is MANUALLY SAVE IT! Apparently, Manual saves are free from this issue.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

--------------------

Mouseraider
10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Where did the Black Isle quality go?

Only indie developers ever have problem with things like this (Eschalon is perhaps the most recent), but I guess people developing AAA titles can't be expected to fix something as fundamental as saves.

elixenie
10-20-2010, 11:44 PM
From the looks of it, some people are relying on quick saves as their "permanent" save. If you are, ur doin it rong. You should do a manual save before you stop playing. You can't even have more than one character if you rely on quick saves anyways

This is fine advice if the game weren't crashing on a regular basis for many of us, but really quicksaving at all is a bad idea unless you're pretty disciplined about manual saving.

Is there any way to delete cloud saves? I'm getting a lot of normal savegames with the same number. Not a problem yet since I can see the total time played, but I'm concerned the game might try and consolidate them later on. Stranger things have happened. In fact, stranger things have happened several times in the past 48 hours.

what

John1986
10-20-2010, 11:46 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17848251

Putting this out there in case it helps you!

-------------------
Hey guys,

This saved game issue is a major pain. Here's how I found a way to get around it. (I first got help from this link: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...save-bugglitch thanks to the user Uberjumper, he was just missing one step, that I've included for you)

First, you have to find the folder that your saved games are stored.

For example Mine is: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

Now, copy the folder and save it somewhere else. This is just in case something goes wrong.

Now return to the original folder: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

In this folder you will see two types of files, one ends in .fos and the other in .bak

this is the order they appeared in my folder:

autosave.fos <--- This is the old file
autosave.fos.bak <---- This is the file you want
etc
etc

Okay, now keep this folder open and load New Vegas. Once you are on the Main Menu for New Vegas, Minimize your game, and return to your saved games folder.

find "autosave.fos" and change it to "oldautosave.fos"

then find "autosave.fos.bak" and change it to "autosave.fos"

Now, switch back to New Vegas, click on load game, and you will be able to find your old autosave listed.

First thing you should do when you reload your game is MANUALLY SAVE IT! Apparently, Manual saves are free from this issue.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

--------------------

what do i do if both my save's are the same like these two are

autosave.fos.bak
quicksave.fos.bak

kec789
10-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Wookie you saved my butt here with this information. I was so pissed that I had lost so much gameplay from earlier today. Luckily, LUCKILY I had copied my quick save and threw it on my desktop before deciding to do those last 4 hours over. I was maybe a half hour in repeating all that stuff when I decided to look further for more help.

I ran across your mini guide and it worked perfectly! I pasted back in that quicksave and renamed it, then it let me load it up again. Whew!

Thanks again...

mrmike49
10-21-2010, 03:06 AM

I am also experiencing losing saves. Both my quicksave and autosave are stuck at previous ones. I figured it was an issue with the Steam cloud however disabling it for New Vegas did not fix the issue.

Manual saving appears to be working however I fear it's going to go through the same problems as the quicksave and autosave. Any solutions would be really helpful, as without saving there's not much point in playing.

He means we're all beta testers, paying for the "privilege":mad:

Halifax
10-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I followed what was mentioned earlier about renaming the save files by WookieCookie, but my .fos and .fos.bak save files are always the same when I load up the game. Here's what I did to fix it:

If you're always seeing the same old auto- and quick-saves when you load up no matter what you do (mine were 5 hours in from the day it was released but I'm over 22 hours in now on my hard saves) then try this. Go to your Steam folder, and enter the userdata folder. There should be some folders here with a bunch of numbers for the names. The folder for my copy of Fallout: New Vegas was 22380. If you search for "autosave.fos" "falloutprefs.ini" or "quicksave.fos" within the userdata folder you should find it pretty quickly (or arrange the folders by date accessed and look for the time when you played F:NV last). Once you've found what folder it is (the folder with a number name, not just the folder named "remote"), delete it. There, you're done - seriously. I just sent the folder to the Recycle Bin to test it (so I could restore it if it didn't work) but sure enough, when I loaded New Vegas up it showed the right saves. Saved me about an hour of gameplay today, but I lost about 4 hours to this bug since the game came out.

Now if only I could get the game to stop crashing (blacklisted it from FFDShow audio & video, but it's still crashing)...

Kaliss
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I followed what was mentioned earlier about renaming the save files by WookieCookie, but my .fos and .fos.bak save files are always the same when I load up the game. Here's what I did to fix it:

If you're always seeing the same old auto- and quick-saves when you load up no matter what you do (mine were 5 hours in from the day it was released but I'm over 22 hours in now on my hard saves) then try this. Go to your Steam folder, and enter the userdata folder. There should be some folders here with a bunch of numbers for the names. The folder for my copy of Fallout: New Vegas was 22380. If you search for "autosave.fos" "falloutprefs.ini" or "quicksave.fos" within the userdata folder you should find it pretty quickly (or arrange the folders by date accessed and look for the time when you played F:NV last). Once you've found what folder it is (the folder with a number name, not just the folder named "remote"), delete it. There, you're done - seriously. I just sent the folder to the Recycle Bin to test it (so I could restore it if it didn't work) but sure enough, when I loaded New Vegas up it showed the right saves. Saved me about an hour of gameplay today, but I lost about 4 hours to this bug since the game came out.

Now if only I could get the game to stop crashing (blacklisted it from FFDShow audio & video, but it's still crashing)...

You do realize that this issue was fixed in the patch we got on Thursday right?