PDA

View Full Version : How much can I overclock this?

UberMudkipz
10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
My problem is that I have a 500w PSU, and am running a Phenom II which I want to OC. Could i do this with a PSU of this wattage?

ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
Radeon HD 5850 (HIS iCooler)
6Gb Corsair XMS Series DDR2
AMD Phenom II 955 @3.2 GHz
500W Corsair PSU
500Gb Kingston 7200 RPM HDD

neurokirurgi
10-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Sure, no problem. What kind of CPU cooler do you have?

FгедкѕнФш
10-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Your best bet would be to slowly increase the multiplier until it becomes unstable. When you can't boot or it gets unstable, put it back to whatever clocks you had before it became unstable and you're good to go!

skippy72294
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
No 2 chips overclock the exact same, you're just going to have to find that sweet spot of speed and stability when oc'ing. But with that set up it should be no problem for you.

madpistol
10-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Make sure you have lots of time to SLOWLY increase the speed of the CPU. If you find any errors during stability testing, you need to take a step back and see if it's stable at the level before on a more long term test. Sometimes it will pass, and other times, it won't.

OCCT is a great program for stability testing.

If you have a really good CPU cooler, I would aim for 3.8Ghz. If you're still on a stock HSF for the CPU, you won't be able to overclock much at all.

Also, go talk to the guys over at AMD's processor forums (http://forums.amd.com/forum/index.cfm?forumid=1). Those guys have a ton of insight into what it takes to get stable high-level overclocks.