PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of it?

BaSeBallDuDeR
10-21-2010, 02:16 AM
I played the demo and i got alot of points but what is the end result? Is there a story to this game or a objective? Is there going to be steam achievements in the future? Does it support mp3 songs? I only heard the music that was in the demo but does this game intensify depending on the music that is playing like beat hazard? Is there going to be a multiplayer in the future? Is this game worth the 10 bucks or should i wait till it goes half off? If anyone can answer these questions that would be great!:D

Hippy Druid
10-21-2010, 02:48 AM
I played the demo and i got alot of points but what is the end result?
Did you have fun?

Is there a story to this game or a objective?
There is in my mind when I'm playing :)

Is there going to be steam achievements in the future?
I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure you will find out very soon.

Does it support mp3 songs? I only heard the music that was in the demo but does this game intensify depending on the music that is playing like beat hazard?
MP3 support: you should read this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524851) thread. And yes. It does intensify depending on the music that is playing.

Is there going to be a multiplayer in the future?
I'm pretty sure I read on this forum somewhere the developer was considering multiplayer.

Is this game worth the 10 bucks or should i wait till it goes half off?
In my opinion it was worth every cent. But I guess only you can answer that question! ;)

Try some Red/Cyan 3D glasses too!!

BaSeBallDuDeR
10-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Did you have fun?

There is in my mind when I'm playing :)

I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure you will find out very soon.

MP3 support: you should read this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524851) thread. And yes. It does intensify depending on the music that is playing.

I'm pretty sure I read on this forum somewhere the developer was considering multiplayer.

In my opinion it was worth every cent. But I guess only you can answer that question! ;)

Try some Red/Cyan 3D glasses too!!
Sweet man thanks for the reply!! Ill get this game!! This game has alot of potential and I can see it really getting popular in the 10 dollar market. 1+ rep for u!;)

Hippy Druid
10-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Oh Cheers!

You won't regret buying it!

SerFox
10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
A response to everyone who reads the thread, and asks the same question: 'What's the point?'

Have you ever sat down and thought what a game actually is? Just think for a moment, how diverse the subject is. Don't think about the genre's at this point, just the premise of a game.
A game could be something you purchase, such as a board game, a card came you learn to play, or even just a game you make up by rolling coins on a table at an airport. Why do we play games? For the most, it's a recreational experience, where we can immerse ourselves in a completely different universe to our own, where there are no limits beyond what is given to you, where you can lose yourself in visuals, sound, and playing a part in this universe.

Are all games competitive? To a degree, yes, but not all have a win/lose ending scenario. Sometimes feeling good, or 'winning' is when you do something that is impressive to you, either by directly influencing the game or it happening by chance. Whether that be a particularly amazing crash on Grand Theft Auto, or as obscure as someone talking in time with a piece of music on the radio in your game, by complete coincidence. What it all boils down to is having fun. Now not all genres of game are for everyone, and it's just like everything, music, movies, food, people, we all have our tastes, but we all know what we like. What I'm really getting at here is the point of a game isn't always to get the highest score, or most amount of frags, or even collect all the coins. Did you ever play Mario to get every single coin? Of course not.

So the next time you win at Team Fortress 2, or get the high score on Tetris, or quit The Polynomial after an hour, don't think about the score or winning, ask yourself one question.

Did I have fun?

kirbeh
10-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Obviously you're supposed to be on drugs to enjoy the game properly.

astroblack
10-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Obviously you're supposed to be on drugs to enjoy the game properly.
It's definitely a plus if you are. I have a large collection of "trippy" games. Films as well but usually I go to a park.

aaronmoi
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
the author has done a wonderful job, but this game feels more like a glorified screensaver

again.. i loved this demo, but some bosses and a few more enemies will seal the deal for a lot of people :)

chopblock
11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
"play til you lose just to see how high a number can go" point-fest games I don't typically pay for - I can play flash games for free based around that concept.

When I buy a game it should have a goal, an objective, some point to playing. Maybe add some competitive multiplayer (won't purchase on the promise that the dev is "thinking" about adding it. They always just wait and make a sequel to milk you out of more cash anyway when they make those "thinking about it" statements).

This does look interesting, though. Considering getting it as part of the current 5 dollar Indie Pulse Pack deal, but I don't think I'd ever pay money for it by itself...

I think the "interactive screensaver" comment is pretty spot on. For a game to be a game, you must be able to actually PLAY it. Interactive art, though? I'd say this would qualify as that. But how long can you really look at an art piece in a gallery before you've seen all it has to offer and move on to the next? 5 - 10 minutes typically, maybe more if there's someone to have a discussion with about it.

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 10:30 AM
ever bought a movie?

chopblock
11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
ever bought a movie?

Several hundred. But they have character development, stories, objectives, suspense, drama, comedy, etc etc.

This game is pretty visuals and points. It's video art, not film.

EDIT: I want to state that that's not a bad thing either! Video art is great and for those that enjoy having this product to view whenever they want this is a good purchase. I just require more when I'm purchasing a video game, personally.

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 10:40 AM
well, would it be better for you if it had some progression of levels which you complete by killing bosses, with the objective of completing the game? It's just that to me it seems that there is no point in completing the objective either. In fact this is a problem i have with most games, instead of focussing on making my time pleasant, they focus on trying to make up some 'objective', which other people seem to really want but for me playing a game is apriori a fairly pointless activity which i only do if i find that activity pleasant, so it doesn't work for me anyway, the game objectives don't make me feel that there is a point in playing. Heck, there is no point in me working on that game, other than that I really like to work on it (and need to earn a living, but that is also not a point in itself). Sometimes this world just seems so pointless.

But i see what you mean. Games can be seen as escape from this world, the world which is kind of pointless, you see, a giant multi-player santbox game. People invent themselves objectives all the time so that living does not feel so pointless. But that's getting philosophical.

ThndrShk2k
11-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Several hundred. But they have character development, stories, objectives, suspense, drama, comedy, etc etc..

Never seen a Michael Bay movie it seems, lucky man.

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
whats about movies about nature? or movies like Avatar where the plot is, well, it's here because it has to have a plot, but the visuals are awesome?

And yes, I am planning to improve it a lot in the gameplay department. It's just that in 3D it is not as easy. 3D game development is very challenging. Of that pack, the only other 3D title is audiosurf, and you can't just fly off track in AS to look at those amazing things closely. I hope there is a market for the 3D indie games.

edit:
Also, 2D indie has very high standards for gameplay; it was difficult for me to decide to be included in this pack or not, it is obvious that I would be getting a lot of exposure far outside my target audience, but I decided to proceed - hell, it is a huge bargain, this pack is cheaper than any single title in it.

chopblock
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
While your correct that simply creating arbitrary objectives really wouldn't add much to the game either, the trick with adding objectives is to make them change the way you have to complete the task. This keeps things fresh for the player, as otherwise the player will feel like he/she is just stuck in an endless loop of the same activity.

For example, I'm currently working my way through Assassins Creed 2 on my Xbox. There was one mission in which the game decided to challenge me to assassinate my targets - without using any of my weapons. That means almost everything I've learned in the approx 6 or so hours of playing the game up to that point has to be ignored, and forces me to think of new strategies while not listening to my instinct to use all of the tools I've been learning up to that point.

What makes objectives fun, is when they provide a new or new-ish challenge to the player. Maybe there's an objective that challenges the skills you've learned thus far in the game by removing margin for errors, or a time limit, or less health/more powerful enemies. Maybe it's a new tool or weapon to learn how to use in situations and against enemies, ala Legend of Zelda.

Bosses are fantastic - when they're creative. What you don't want is just a big guy that has a lot of health. What you do want is a boss that plays by slightly different or un-fair rules that force the player to learn it's patterns, find it's weak point, make survival more difficult. You want to make parts of the game tense and exciting!

Even the relatively simple act of adding other characters with interesting personalities can break up the monotony and make the game more fun to play - even if you don't actually change any of the gameplay. For example, in Star Fox, the other pilots on your team don't typically add anything at all to the game you're playing - but it's fun to hear them talk, banter, ask you for help, etc. Also, if the player likes a character, it creates a sort of "bond" that makes the player care about if that character lives or dies. It makes the player enjoy the company of that character.

As another example of this, Poker Night at the Inventory has been very popular on Steam lately. Why? It's just a Texas Hold 'Em poker game. Nothing more or less. It's popular because people love to hear the characters you are playing with (Tycho, Sam, Heavy Weapons Guy, Strong Bad) talk and interact, which breaks the feeling of "I'm playing poker with a computer".

I don't mean to ramble on, or try to school you on game design or anything. After all, you're the one who's made a game and has it up for sale and people are obviously buying it. As much as I like to think about game design, I've never made anything. These is just my thoughts on the matter.

chopblock
11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
whats about movies about nature? or movies like Avatar where the plot is, well, it's here because it has to have a plot, but the visuals are awesome?

Well, nature documentaries have a completely different purpose. They are informational tools. They are teaching you about aspects of nature. It's not all about the visuals, but good video obviously makes the documentary more attractive.

Avatar has been reamed out since it came out about it's story, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. Obviously there will always be attempts that fail, you know?

And yes, I am planning to improve it a lot in the gameplay department. It's just that in 3D it is not as easy. 3D game development is very challenging. Of that pack, the only other 3D title is audiosurf, and you can't just fly off track in AS to look at those amazing things closely. I hope there is a market for the 3D indie games.

edit:
Also, 2D indie has very high standards for gameplay; it was difficult for me to decide to be included in this pack or not, it is obvious that I would be getting a lot of exposure far outside my target audience, but I decided to proceed - hell, it is a huge bargain, this pack is cheaper than any single title in it.

Oh I know it's difficult - I really don't mean to sound overly critical. I tend to do that sometimes and I apologize. I got into film/video over game development BECAUSE it's so damn hard to program these things and I'm just flat out not a programmer haha. I do want to say that this game is one of the more interesting parts of the pack making me consider the purchase as it does appear that more work was put into making this an interesting experience over most of the others.

I hope you do improve the game and are very successful. I'm just a prick on the Internet, ya know?

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Actually, you make some very good points! Regarding the bosses especially, and different personalities. I totally agree.

Huge problem with creative bosses and different characters in The Polynomial is, well, 3D. To quote one Indie developer, '3D is such a pain, you spend all your energy just making the game work!'. I do not really feel this way, I have been working in 3D industry for past 6 years - but nonetheless it is a huge load, and it makes it slower to progress.

I have some good boss idea now, and i'm certain that you'd say it is very creative, and it would be quite easy to implement in a 2D game, but in 3D game, the rendering is 4 times larger in terms of code, the AI and physics are a LOT more complicated, collision detection for everything-vs-everything is very hard, and so on. edit: I'm speaking of a own game engine, of course... using a 3D game engine developed by a large company would have taken off lot of the load but it would be very limiting for the creativity.
Worse yet, when done, if it has new rendering as well, it cannot be pushed live before it is tested on a bajilion 3D graphics cards. To put it simply, it takes a lot of work to make it. I think the successful 3D indie titles will for most part always be a lot like gmod or minecraft, more of a sandbox than a game. The Polynomial is also largely a sandbox title - with all those parameters in menus, that, unlike other games, apply immediately and you can see their effect on the view behind the game menu.

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, nature documentaries have a completely different purpose. They are informational tools. They are teaching you about aspects of nature. It's not all about the visuals, but good video obviously makes the documentary more attractive.

well maybe... as you might guess, I love watching deep sea documentaries just to see all the glowing creatures...

chopblock
11-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, I've decided to go ahead and buy the pack - so I look forward to seeing what you're able to implement! If you ever are interested in hearing any more of my thoughts or what have you feel free to PM me.

chopblock
11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
well maybe... as you might guess, I love watching deep sea documentaries just to see all the glowing creatures...

I can't say that I've never gotten a little stoned and done the same :) The deep sea both fascinates and terrifies me (sort of an ocean phobia that battles with my interest in learning more about it haha)

PolarisOrbit
11-27-2010, 12:30 PM
well, would it be better for you if it had some progression of levels which you complete by killing bosses, with the objective of completing the game? It's just that to me it seems that there is no point in completing the objective either.

An objective serves a crucial purpose of giving the player an idea of what the game is about, and what one is supposed to do. It doesn't have to be convoluted. It can just be a single sentence explaining what you will be doing in the game. All games have objectives in this sense- it's an inherent feature. Whatever you're doing in the game, doing it well (or to get a desired result) is the objective.

The lack of clarity on an objective is further burdened by the interface. Now I'm trying to decipher the interface and the game simultaneously. It seems to be cluttered with useless information that is very distracting and colorful. Or perhaps it is useful, I just didn't know what it's for? Oh wait- that's exactly the POINT of my post!

Maybe I'm alone on this, but one thing you should never want is to have your player confused by the information they're getting from the game. Of course the design team has no problem understanding the game because they know exactly what their goal was. That's not the point. The point is, the rest of us don't know!

:)

Dmytry
11-27-2010, 12:39 PM
does it not tell you that the goal (for now) is to try to top the scoreboards, and tell you what is what? It even tells what to do with those items (e.g. to kill)
If it does not show you some instructions in level 0, that would be a bug. Ahh, and you can use items that are in the instructions, they are alive.

chopblock
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I've had no trouble what so ever figuring out what the current goal to this game is, and found that the UI is put together pretty damn well... on your first level, you even have a woman telling you what does what. I'm not sure how this game could go over your head in it's current state.

leahcim
11-28-2010, 09:19 PM

I think the point of this genre of games is combining 2 activities in front of your computer, listening to music you like and playing a game that is tightly coupled to that music.

The problem I have with audiosurf et al is, they don't support spotify, so I have no music to feed them and listen to.

The problem I had with this game after playing the demo is that, although it supported spotify (via stereo mix) I couldn't really see the strong correlation between what happens in the game and the music I'm listening too at the time.

At which point I was left thinking I could be playing TF2 and listening to music and have the same feeling (which is something I wouldn't do normally because I usually want to hear the game if I'm playing a game. The only reason I'd want to hear music would be if it were linked to the gameplay)

So, for me, the game didn't have audiosurf's blindingly obvious reason for listening to the music whilst playing - because the premise I was hoping for, that the game and music would be so connected your music becomes part of the game itself, didn't seem to be there.

Dmytry
11-29-2010, 12:40 AM
well the 'arena' animates to music (there's several animators, and you can tune the parameters, try the "animate to" parameter). I bet TF 2 does not make everything around wobble and shimmer to the music, does it?

Of course the mileage vary, depending to what music you are listening to, what you expect to happen, and even how do you hear the music. The beat/melody slider makes it work for songs with a lot of noise where you just want it to animate to vocals, you need to set it to melody.
The 'gameplay as diverse as your music collection' marketing gimmick of BH is not there, i found that in my experience it usually means 'gameplay difficulty varies some with the music, making lot of music entirely unplayable and forcing you to stick with particular music if you want particular difficulty', plus in the 3D spawning the enemies on crescendo does not give you very much of musical experience as far as killing those enemies goes (its one thing when you're in 2D and you clear the enemies quick, it's other thing in 3D and enemies are all over the place, hanging on well past crescendo). I may still add it as option though, if people really want it.

You can search youtube for videos to see what it is supposed to look like, with all those strange bug reports which are coming in i would not be terribly surprised if there are graphics cards which fail to animate to the music while reporting no error to the program itself.

Dmytry
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I've had no trouble what so ever figuring out what the current goal to this game is, and found that the UI is put together pretty damn well... on your first level, you even have a woman telling you what does what. I'm not sure how this game could go over your head in it's current state.
actually there was rare issue that would make this text be invisible on some old-ish version of Catalyst driver, it affected very few people i think. Fixed in this update (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622849).