PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction: Guerilla Crash

Alibabba
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I installed this game today and played through the tutorial and the first mission or so before quitting to continue playing later.

Now every time I try to play, I'll be able to do so fine for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes before the game instantly locks up my computer and usually displays some colored artifacts across the screen. There is no specific action that seems to cause it: it's happened when smashing a rock, jumping a wall, blowing up a building, and I think once I was doing nothing but running. Sometimes the sound continues unaffected and sometimes it does not. The only difference I can tell between now and the first time I played is that when launched through Steam the second time, it gave me the "Installing DirectX" message again that it usually gives on the first launch of the game. Now it launches normally, albeit with the inevitable crash making it unplayable.

I have updated my graphics drivers, verified the game's integrity, redownloaded the game, and reinstalled DirectX, and nothing seems to have changed.

Is anyone else having this problem or know what might be wrong?

Alibabba
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
To make matters worse, I just tried playing a different game (Team Fortress 2) and the same thing happened. What could installing this game have done to mess up my computer like this?

cdeathkd
10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
What are your system specs, from the sounds of it this may be a problem with the GFX card, usually either of overheating or just getting old, how long have you had this pc and was it new when you got it?

iceman087
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
mine is doing the same thing.runs for about a mimute or 2 and then locks up.my system is 2 weeks old.5850,i7 970 quad,12 gigs of ram

cdeathkd
10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
iceman, that shouldn't happen if it's new, are your graphics drivers up to date? and have you tried manually downloading the RFG update patches?

Also have a search around on google and here if anyones found an answer... I'm sure you have probably done so though.

iceman087
10-25-2010, 07:34 PM
nah its all up to date.runs for a miute then freezes.another great peice of garbage to mess with.

Alibabba
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm using an Nvidia 8800GT, an AMD Phenom 9500, and 4 GB of RAM on Windows 7.

egoshowcase
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been having the same problem since I installed the game yesterday. Loaded up speed fan and noticed that my GPU temperatures where spiking at 88 Celsius at crash.

I rebooted my machine manually, set the GPU fan to 100% and ran furmark. The GPU temp steadily climbed to 88c and crashed. I then removed the card, and replaced the stock thermal compound with arctic silver.

On next boot the idle temp dropped 5-10 degrees Celsius, but with furmarks and 100% fan speed, the GPU still climbed to 88 Celsius and crashed.

I then did a system restore to before I installed the game, Ran furmarks, and my GPU climbed to and is staying steady at 70 degrees Celsius for over 15 min.

My system specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
PNY GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

TLDR: After install GPU temp 88c max. After system restore to before install GPU temp 70c

Alibabba
10-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks ego. I would have tried a system restore but for some reason my windows install hasn't been properly saving restore points. However, the fact that you apparently fixed it that way makes me hopeful that my last resort, reinstalling windows, would fix it (as well as the problem with system restore).

After continued trouble with this I've tried other, non-steam games and I experience similar crashes in every 3D game I've tried. This leads me to believe my graphics card is overheating like yours.

Alibabba
10-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, I've reinstalled Windows and I'm still having the same problem. I'm out of ideas other than this game ruined my video card or it was a massive coincidence.

I have tried running Furmark, it crashes after about the same amount of time as trying to run any other 3d application, all the while the temperature never hit 80c so I don't think I'm having the same problem as egoshowcase.

Again, I am able to run all games smoothly for a minute or two before my screen is checkered with pixel-ish artifacts and my computer locks up entirely. If anyone knows what would cause or how to fix this on an Nvidia 8800GT you will probably save me from buying a new video card, assuming that after swapping cards with a friend the problem is fixed.

Alibabba
10-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I think I've found a fix. I had to flash my video card's BIOS. It seems to be working well, played TF2 for about 20 minutes and Red Faction Guerrilla for about 20 minutes as well with nothing abnormal. I'll post again if the problem reoccurs.

iceman087
10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
I think I've found a fix. I had to flash my video card's BIOS. It seems to be working well, played TF2 for about 20 minutes and Red Faction Guerrilla for about 20 minutes as well with nothing abnormal. I'll post again if the problem reoccurs.

how did you flash them....

Alibabba
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
It depends on what type of card you have (ATI vs Nvidia). There are programs that let you do it through windows (nvflash is what I used for Nvidia). You also need to find the BIOS file itself from your card's manufacturer. There are guides online and I'm probably not the best person to explain it seeing as how I didn't know video cards had their own BIOS until yesterday. But apparently that was the problem, as I haven't had any trouble since.

Also be careful if you try this, as I understand botching it can really mess up your card.