PDA

View Full Version : !SPOILERS! The ending of the game !SPOILERS!

Fudgefiend
10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
OK seriously you set me up for an epic portal to hell unleashing swarms of soul devouring nightmare beasts and all I get is the ending to Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. Lets just say that wasn't one of my favorite movies... I mean come ON. A freaking UFO? That ending sucked major balls. And not the extraterrestrial UFO power source kind either.

Buuuuuut... That's just my opinion. Lets hear some others :D

Fyrisvellir
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I've not used these forums much before, and I'm not familiar with how to obscure my text with a spoiler warning like you have. I don't think it's necessary anyway; if someone was concerned about spoilers, they probably wouldn't read a topic with '!SPOILERS!' in the title.

Anyway, I think the ending was great! I don't see why an extra terrestrial influence puts you off so much. I mean, the game was full of technology that appeared too advanced to have been created by a Mayan civilisation, and there were freakin' lizard-people near the end (it's not like the aliens were little green men from Mars)!

I'd take science fiction over magic any day. And hell, at least the 'UFO' wasn't your typical, cheesy flying saucer; its design was really cool, continuing with the Mayan aesthetic, and I think that the fact that Spebbington theorises that it may be thousands of years old, albeit in bonus material outside of the game, has some really cool implications for history as we know it. That was the whole point of the story, wasn't it?

tees
11-02-2010, 01:25 AM
The "epic portal to hell unleashing swarms of soul devouring nightmare beasts" is what humans, especially of the Mayan time believe would happen. That was the whole point of the ending monologue. The Aliens gave humans technology, science, amazing things to push their civilization millenia ahead of its time, and what humans did was dress it all up in religion and mysticism. So the Aliens leave in disgust!

Fyrisvellir
11-02-2010, 05:28 AM
The "epic portal to hell unleashing swarms of soul devouring nightmare beasts" is what humans, especially of the Mayan time believe would happen. That was the whole point of the ending monologue. The Aliens gave humans technology, science, amazing things to push their civilization millenia ahead of its time, and what humans did was dress it all up in religion and mysticism. So the Aliens leave in disgust!

Exactly, that's the thing - the mysticism was entirely theirs; the actual fact of the situation was that extra terrestrials were bringing their sciences to Earth. There was no magic as such, the humans just interpreted it that way.

Amander
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn't think much about aliens. Mayan gods giving them the mysterious ball artifact which boots intellegence is also a cool story.

MADDOGGE
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Anyone have any speculations on who the Mummy that was leading us around was? There certainly isn't a right or wrong answer yet unless Teotl chimes in with the canon word.;)

Fyrisvellir
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Anyone have any speculations on who the Mummy that was leading us around was? There certainly isn't a right or wrong answer yet unless Teotl chimes in with the canon word.;)

I assumed, since his body was fairly reptilian, that he was the king of the alien race. I mean, when you return the ball to the UFO, he boards it to *brace yourself for a cringe-inducing cliche* return home.

I'm concerned that, despite the warnings about death and plagues, and hell on Earth being unleashed if the aliens reclaim the ball, Spebbington returns it anyway. :eek:

MADDOGGE
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Well they had already released the plague thats what turned everyone into mummies. I didn't see any weapon toting monkeys though. I'm assuming that it was more religious stuff to keep someone from returning it to the rightful owners. Then again who is to say what might happen when his buddy's join him now that the crane is replaced.

Fyrisvellir
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Well they had already released the plague thats what turned everyone into mummies. I didn't see any weapon toting monkeys though. I'm assuming that it was more religious stuff to keep someone from returning it to the rightful owners. Then again who is to say what might happen when his buddy's join him now that the crane is replaced.

Actually, we already know. If you check out the bonus stuff released on their website, you learn that nobody believed what Spebbington saw down there. :(

I hope that maybe there's a sequel at some point, though, and the mythos gets expanded upon. :)

MADDOGGE
11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't really see how they could do a sequel with the Ball gone but there are a lot of locked doors and invisible walls open to additional levels if they wanted to go that way.;)

I'm assuming the bonus stuff is on Teotl site?

Fyrisvellir
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't really see how they could do a sequel with the Ball gone but there are a lot of locked doors and invisible walls open to additional levels if they wanted to go that way.;)

I'm assuming the bonus stuff is on Teotl site?

I'd imagine that's not the only ball the aliens had; it powered a single UFO. Plus the bonus stuff attributes pyramids in general to the aliens, hinting that they are the origin of such things. So hell, maybe an Egyptian setting, or another Mayan setting. :)

The site for The Ball. The images are all here: http://www.theballthegame.com/?cat=4 check all the way down. Pyramids on Mars! :eek:

MADDOGGE
11-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Enjoyed reading the info thanks a lot. I stand corrected there may well be an opportunity for a sequel one day.:):)

Fyrisvellir
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Enjoyed reading the info thanks a lot. I stand corrected there may well be an opportunity for a sequel one day.:):)

No problem. :)

Sequel or not, I hope this game gets added to at some point.