PDA

View Full Version : So, what's next?

demigod_mac
10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
With Left 4 Dead ported, Sir Barris has delivered to us all of the premium Valve titles.

Now I wonder what could be up next... lots of pickings to choose from.

GoldSrc games?

Half Life Source? (I don't own it since I have the original already, but I'd buy it just to be able to play it on Mac!)

Alien Swarm?

jwylie15
10-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Half Life Source?

Alien Swarm?

Yes please.

Ferazel
10-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Probably Alien Swarm... although I honestly think that I'd rather have them work purely on performance and bug fixes until Portal 2 comes out.

Madd the Sane
10-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe the Source 2009 SDK.

playn
10-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Maybe the Source 2009 SDK.

yeah thats what im thinking. that seems like the next logical step

Crab
10-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Unless they're holding out until Portal 2 so that they can make sure that Mac Source is as compatible as can be. Making a game designed with both platforms in mind probably will help them in that respect. Remember that mod developers usually lack the resources to make Mac specific fixes. Valve can probably work around the Mac Source engine bug (or fix them obviously) but will mod developers go that far? Food for thought. Plus hasn't it been said that the modeling tools are going to be hard to port. (thinks about the plugins for cross platform modelers that could be of use if they were extened....)

I like the idea of them focusing on fixing stuff better though. New games are nice, but better existing ones are nicer. Although I'm getting good performance, so I'm not holding out on any major fps boosts.

My wager is Alien Swarm is next because it's small and on a somewhat newer engine (I think....) that they might want to work on. Unless they're porting Half Life Source to the newer Mac Source engine..... sounds like a lot of work though.

vtor67
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I think Alien Swarm is next because it's more popular than Half Life 1 Source and that group of games.

But I do want the GoldSrc games to arrive on Mac.

stevethepocket
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Fixing Half-Life 2.

antime
10-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Improve the Steam client, pester AMD, Nvidia and Apple to make better drivers.

jwylie15
10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Here's what should really be next: the mic issue.

Janichsan
10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Half-Life 1 Source would be nice, but to be honest, it would be nicer when Valve would take a break from porting new games and focused on fixing the problems in the existing games for a while. Later forthcoming ports would only benefit from that.

Not everyone here will agree which among those problems would be the most pressing, but there's a plethora of stuff that needs to be mended.

DrGonzo562
10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I've never played the first half life and would very mich like to.

SuperSjaak
10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
they should make Mac gaming performance equal to windows gaming performance

deadlybydesign
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
they should make Mac gaming performance equal to windows gaming performance

It's never going to be equal, but that's due in part to the way Apple handles driver "support."

I don't have any mic issues, since I use a USB headset, but Valve should probably focus on that.

Crab
10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
The only way they'll make performance equal right now is taking graphics out. D: We'll have to wait for Apple to release new drivers (probably with Lion :( )

Just FYI, it's not because you have a USB headset. I use the internal mic and it works fine for me. They really do need to work on that though. Must be in a slump on that issue though. Obviously it's a tough one. Not much of a pattern to it (not everyone's mic is broken)

cloropad
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
More achievements for HL2!... What's that? That will never happen? Well, not with a negative attitude like that, it won't! Just gotta stay positive, guys!

Funkboy
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I hope the next thing, is all of the tools in steam. That way I can get the left 4 dead stuff, the team fortress 2 thing, I like owning things, and by golly, I will get all of the tools someday

stevethepocket
10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
By the way, GoldSrc should be easy to port. They only have to make it compatible with computers that are eight years newer than it is (Intel Macs debuted in 2006), and it already has a OpenGL mode which actually works better than the DirectX mode (on my machine at least).

Uff0
10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
The day i can play CS 1.6 natively on Mac OS X my life is complete.

TehKingz
10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd like Source: SDK please

Aivskar
10-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I'd like Source: SDK please

Yes plz.

limbclock
10-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I guess that next VALVe will release the updated source engine to the modders and stuff, and get the Source SDK for mac built and ready to go. Or at least, that's what i hope would happen

stevethepocket
10-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I too am excited for the prospect of a new SDK, because maybe it'll mean they'll rewrite the whole thing in cross-platform code and everyone will get a new version. Preferably with a single launcher this time that supports all the games at once.

deadlybydesign
10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Another SDK might mean further delays to Black Mesa Forever. I mean... Black Mesa Source. I mean... Black Mesa: A Half-Life 2 Modification. (http://www.blackmesasource.com/) (tho I don't think they'd honestly switch Source versions again)