PDA

View Full Version : Launch error Getthread

Cruentusx
10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
something or other failed. i want to buy the game (if it works) while it's on special $9.99 ($19.99) but if i can't figure out why i can't get the demo to launch then i don't know if i will.

so far after over an hour of searching i haven't found 1 case of anyone with my problem. i go to launch the game and it just goes black and tells me something like GameInti then the date and time. outside that is an error popup that said Getthread Failed something. uninstalled and reinstalling non-steam.

i ran it from steam and the aiwars directly both under admin and gave it free rights on my anti-virus program and nothing works. even if i do get it working it would at least be nice to have something that someone sharing in my problems can read to solve his issues so please shoot some help below

Cruentusx
10-28-2010, 11:15 PM
even the non-steam demo has it. exact same thing. need some help here... or i'll end up paying $20 or nothing at all.

GetThreadContext Failed.

i've done everything and get the exact same error/bug. sucks when you're the only one with the problem. usually that's when noone can do anything about it.

pnptcn
10-29-2010, 02:09 AM
You'll probably get a lot more help at the forums at www.arcengames.com

They are pretty dedicated to supporting this game.

x4000
10-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Can you look in your runtimedata folder in the game folder and see if there are any error messages there? Also, are you on the Mac or pc? We had one other report that using livestream to hook into the game would cause random crashes, and we also know that the Kapersky antivirus program, if running at all, causes random crashes of this nature on pretty much any game runnin the unity 3d engine. Hope that helps!

Cruentusx
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Can you look in your runtimedata folder in the game folder and see if there are any error messages there? Also, are you on the Mac or pc? We had one other report that using livestream to hook into the game would cause random crashes, and we also know that the Kapersky antivirus program, if running at all, causes random crashes of this nature on pretty much any game runnin the unity 3d engine. Hope that helps!

PC and ya i'm using kaspersky =/ but i tried making ai wars trusted and still wont start. i opened the runtimedate folder but i don't know what i'm looking for. i don't see any error logs.

also as for signing up to that website posted above.. can't figure out how =/ i registered, got the activation code in my e-mail but the only place i can find to enter it is just to resend another code??

x4000
10-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Yep, it's Kaspersky, then -- even when AI War is trusted, it will still interfere for some reason. Kaspersky injects some extra code into applications from what we can tell, or changes application state slightly in some way, and this causes Unity 3D games to die. The only workaround we are aware of is to temporarily disable Kaspersky while running the game, or to use a different antivirus program that is less invasive.

We don't have anything against Kaspersky, but it seems to have something against games. ;) Hopefully that's something that will be solved by them, they have reports of that for many games beyond just AI War from what we'd seen.

With the activation email for the arcen forums, there should be a link in there that you can just click, and it activates you.

Hope that helps!

Cruentusx
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Yep, it's Kaspersky, then -- even when AI War is trusted, it will still interfere for some reason. Kaspersky injects some extra code into applications from what we can tell, or changes application state slightly in some way, and this causes Unity 3D games to die. The only workaround we are aware of is to temporarily disable Kaspersky while running the game, or to use a different antivirus program that is less invasive.

We don't have anything against Kaspersky, but it seems to have something against games. ;) Hopefully that's something that will be solved by them, they have reports of that for many games beyond just AI War from what we'd seen.

With the activation email for the arcen forums, there should be a link in there that you can just click, and it activates you.

Hope that helps!

so i cannot play online? =/ because if i turn off kaspersky i'm unplugging my modem. the activation didn't work. i tried it 3 times now and it still says i need to activate my account. clicked the link and all. blah. typed my name and pass case sensitive. nada. thanks for all the help up to now btw.

--------------------
i got it working soon as i disabled kaspersky then reenabled it after it launched. but i run into another error when trying to launch a campaign thinger for single player. bleh. oh wells. sucks for me.
--------------------
i think it may be fixed. i have kaspersky on and i'm able to launch the demo and it works. even starting a campaign match works. i think it could be because when i disabled kaspersky for 1 minute and launch the game after a bit i alt tabbed out and it asked me if i wanted to allow the program full access (except in a different way than before.) i allowed it and i think that made it work. going to fiddle with it some more :D hope this helps anyone else with my issue.

x4000
10-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Great detective work! I'm not too familiar with Kaspersky, except in that it's recently causing interference with our Unity games, so I'm glad you found a path that worked. For others that had reported this problem in the past, they said that simply turning off Kaspersky solved the problem, but I didn't know that was connected to modems in any way.

Cruentusx
10-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Great detective work! I'm not too familiar with Kaspersky, except in that it's recently causing interference with our Unity games, so I'm glad you found a path that worked. For others that had reported this problem in the past, they said that simply turning off Kaspersky solved the problem, but I didn't know that was connected to modems in any way.

it's not connected to my modem. i just wouldn't trust turning it off without unplugging my internet cable. i tried the same thing to the steam demo and it doesn't seem to work. so my little fixer only works for non-steam.

x4000
10-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I see. Hmm, that's really odd. I'd suggest AVG Free as one alternative that hasn't had any problems with AI War or Steam to my knowledge. It's not ideal, but I'm not sure what Kaspersky is really doing and it's in the engine code that it causes a crash, so it's beyond our ability to fix that interaction, unfortunately.

x4000
10-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Okay, looks like a fix has been figured out from the Kaspersky side: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=7461.new#new

Hope that helps!