PDA

View Full Version : The CS:S FAQs

Pages : [1] 2

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 07:34 PM
V2.9

Q-I got hit from 2 feet behind me! Whats up with that?
A-Models and hitboxes are not always where you may see them. The server is always seeing different locations than the clients. This is due in part to: lag compensation done on part by the server, client/server incorrect settings or genuine lag on your ISP's fault. Look below for general use settings which you can set to improve connection quality.

Q-My game freezes/crashes/locks up! What should I do?!?
A-Use the Search (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/search.php) feature to search for a thread already created about that problem. Be sure to include your video card model in the search.

Q-My FPS is HORRIBLE! What can I do?
A-Search (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/search.php) the forums with your video card name and hope someone found a way to increase FPS already. If not, try changing all the advanced video settings.

Q-Where is my CD-Key! Did I get scammed?!
A-No, you did not. When purchasing games off of Steam you are not given a CD-Key, but rather, the game is "tied" to your Steam account.

Q-How come I bounce off tables and chairs when I walk into them?
A-This is due to the objects being made as prop_physics_multiplayer instead of prop_physics. The multiplayer physics has a "dumbed" down version to create less server stress. A server can run the command
sv_turbophysics 1
to turn off the bumping and allow players to push/collide with objects with the full HL2 physics.

Q-I have an ATi coupon. How to I redeem/upgrade it?
A-To redeem it, open the Browse Games window in Steam. Then, click the "Register a Product I Already Own" button on the bottom of the screen. Enter in the CD-Key behind the part you had to scratch off and you will get the Bronze HL2 package. If you wish to upgrade to Silver or Gold, open the Browse Games window and click on the "Purchase This Package" for the Silver or Gold packages. Your $49.99 will be deducted automatically from the total price.

Q-How come when I add lines to config.cfg they are overwritten when I start Steam?
A-Steam overwrites the config.cfg file each time it is started, to execute your own commands at start-up of CS:S, make a file called autoexec.cfg with the commands you want CS:S to execute at startup and put it in the same folder as the config.cfg.

Q-Odd...I can't seem to push the table in cs_italy along with other objects?
A-The physics in the game have been changed from what was seen in certain videos a while ago. A server may enable the ability to push objects by running the command
sv_turbophysics 1

Q-How come I am getting long lag freezes even though I have cable/dsl/T1?
A-This is most likely caused by background applications using the internet, such as firewalls or spyware. Try running a spyware scanner or configuring your firewall to allow Steam ports.

Q-What DirectX level should I run my game at?
A-Directly from Gary McTaggart:
DirectX 7.0 - RADEON 7200, GeForce2 MX, GeForce4 MX
DirectX 8.0 - GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce FX 5200
DirectX 8.1 - RADEON 8500, RADEON 9200, GeForce FX 5700, GeForce FX 5950
DirectX 9.0 - RADEON 9500 and up, RADEON X800, GeForce 6800

Q-What visual difference is there between DirectX modes?
A-DirectX 7.0: No model decals, no detail props, no refective water, no bumpmaps, reduced model level of detail
DirectX 8.0: No local specular on water, no water blending into land, shadows are not as soft
DirectX 8.1: No local reflections on water, no water blending into land, soft shadows
DirectX 9.0: Water reflections, water refraction, smooth shorelines, soft shadows, blended bumpmaps

Q-How can I disable the VGUI menus and go back to the old school buy menus?
A-Using the "old school" text buy menus is not possible in CS:S.

Q-How are other people using arabic and other symbols in their names?
A-They are using the extended character set. To use these symbols, open the Character Map (Start>Run... "charmap"), and select Courier New as the font. Then, just double click on the symbols you would like to use and copy them from the box on the bottom and paste them in CS:S.

Q-How come I can't see servers in the server list?
A-First, try making sure you are on the internet tab, then under filters, make sure Anti-Cheat is set to All.

Q-My console doesn't work.
A-First check that you have it enabled. Go into Options -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> and check Enable Developers Console. Then use the ` key to open the console.

Q-When I bring up the console with ` and type something the console disappears.
A-This can happen if you have a non-us keyboard layout/input configued in windows. One possibility is after ` type a T, the console will stay open and you can enter commands. Or, you can set your language in windows regional settings to US - English.

Q-How do I change DirectX levels?
A-In your autoexec.cfg put:
"mat_dxlevel 70" for DirectX 7.0
"mat_dxlevel 80" for DirectX 8.0
"mat_dxlevel 81" for DirectX 8.1
"mat_dxlevel 90" for DirectX 9.0
Or in your Launch Options put:
"-dxlevel 70" for DirectX 7.0
"-dxlevel 80" for DirectX 8.0
"-dxlevel 81" for DirectX 8.1
"-dxlevel 90" for DirectX 9.0

Q-What should I set my rates to?
A-Here are some good rates for broadband:
rate = 100000
cl_cmdrate = 100
cl_updaterate = 100
**These values will vary based on your internet connection. Guide here (http://www.jason35.com/Netcode.htm).

Q-I get crackling sounds, especially in confined areas like hallways and tunnels. I even have a high end sound card (i.e. Audigy) and it happens. How do I fix it?
A-In \Steam\SteamApps\youremail\counter-strike source\cstrike there are some ".cache" files in there. Delete the modelsounds.cache and scene.cache files. CS:S will rebuild these when it is started agian. Also, if you are using digital sound, make sure it is turned on in CSS by setting the variable snd_digital_surround to 1.

Q-How come I have pink/purple all over everything?
A-This is most likely caused by having your AA or AF up too high. Try turning them down to a lower setting. This is also caused by missing textures. If it appears on a custom map, make sure you have all the custom textures installed that came with the map. If it happens on a offical map, verify your GCF files and delete the /Steam/SteamApps/youremail/counter-strike source/materials folder.

Q-How do I validate my cache files?
A-Click the appropriate link below:
Half-Life 2 files (steam://validate/220)
Counter-Strike Source files (steam://validate/240)

Q-There are little white boxes with X's in them at all the light sources. How do I remove them?
A-Open the console and put in r_dopixelvisibility 0. They usually appear when turning on DirectX 7.

If your answer is not in here, remember to Search (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/search.php) and check the official FAQs (http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=suKlE1Dh&p_lva=278&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=1.64%3B2.u0&p_prods=64&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=64&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl) before creating a new thread!

Better|Off|Dead
10-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Sticky?

Keep adding to this man - most useful.

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Hopefully this get pinned, and if you have a FAQ that should be in here, reply and I will edit it in.

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 07:55 PM
v1.1 - Added Cracked Version and ATi Coupon Q's.

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Bump for a helpful thread.

Lothar
10-11-2004, 08:17 PM
HA, Even they admit the hitboxes are laggy XD

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Lothar
HA, Even they admit the hitboxes are laggy XD

I wrote those FAQs :-P

Remmiz
10-11-2004, 10:48 PM
1.2 - Added the config.cfg answer.

cereal83
10-11-2004, 11:03 PM
good work! I like it!

Secret Ninja
10-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Nice can we get a sticky :)

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 01:51 PM
v1.3 - Added pushing objects question.

gtcole
10-12-2004, 02:02 PM
sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky

This answered some of my questions

fluxtah
10-12-2004, 02:02 PM
nice work, can you add one for long lag freezes, ZA (or maybe more firewalls?) caused this on my machine.

regards

Fluxtah

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by fluxtah
nice work, can you add one for long lag freezes, ZA (or maybe more firewalls?) caused this on my machine.

regards

Fluxtah

Added for v1.4 :-D

WhiskeyBomber
10-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Very good... question: Why can't I log into the friends service? When I try to, it attempts to log in and then says login failed each time. Options button is grayed out.

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by WhiskeyBomber
Very good... question: Why can't I log into the friends service? When I try to, it attempts to log in and then says login failed each time. Options button is grayed out.

The friends service on steam is really borked. It goes up and down a lot. I would put it into the FAQ, but that more of a steam related question than a CS:S one.

WhiskeyBomber
10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Remmiz
The friends service on steam is really borked. It goes up and down a lot. I would put it into the FAQ, but that more of a steam related question than a CS:S one.

Thanks, I kinda figured... is that also why my 'friends' never appear on my friends tab when I'm trying to find a game?

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Yea, you need to be logged in for that tab to work.

Goofus Maximus
10-12-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't like the firewall answer though. Security comes before gameplay, and I think Valve might need to work with firewall folks like Zone Alarm, the same way they do with Vid Card manufacturers.

I haven't really had problems along that line with ZA and CS:S though, so it might be a CPU related problem...

Anyhow, GREAT THREAD!!!!

~LiquidMetal~
10-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Better|Off|Dead
Sticky?

Keep adding to this man - most useful.

DITTO!!!

~LiquidMetal~
10-12-2004, 03:22 PM
hum..i cant seem to know when they fix so the thing push ppl..

hey look at the first beta version we can push the barrles then and now they push us..

PLEAS VALVe FIX THIS PROB...

i think that a hand shuld be the same *** use (E) like a hand/use buttun. so you can tanke a table for exple and use it as a blocking thing or quick cuver...

sry for bad spelling...

fluxtah
10-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Added for v1.4 :-D

cheers, bump! :D

fluxtah
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Goofus Maximus
I don't like the firewall answer though. Security comes before gameplay, and I think Valve might need to work with firewall folks like Zone Alarm, the same way they do with Vid Card manufacturers.

I haven't really had problems along that line with ZA and CS:S though, so it might be a CPU related problem...

Anyhow, GREAT THREAD!!!!

I doubt its a cpu related problem, maybe its specific to the version I have, though its blatantly obvious to me that it was causing an issue as Ive been trying to suss this prob out ever since CSS was officially released on steam, and only yesterday I turned off ZA Security Suite and all of a sudden the problem went away, not saying its a fix for all but its a possibility and every possibility helps when you have issues running a game.

spec:

Athlon XP 2800+ OC'ed to 2.4ghz with Asetek waterchill cpu power kit (4 x 120mm fans in push pull config on black ice pro II rad, idle 34c, load 38c)
nf7-s rev 2
gainward 6800GT golden sample
512mb corsair XMS ram
audigy 2zs
tagan 480W PSU

The prob was very consistent, ping would be approx 50, no lag probs, then it would all of a sudden rise over 2-3 seconds to 300+, everyone in map would just freeze. then my ping would lower itself to 50 which at the point i would be dead or with my face in a wall, turn off ZA, problem solved, turn on ZA problems back... hrmmm now whats causing the problem on 'my' setup? :P

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Firewalls are a must these days, but if you turn it off for the little bit of time you are playing CS:S you shouldn't have a problem.

JuMPingBeEnZ
10-12-2004, 10:11 PM
bump

jajones
10-12-2004, 10:13 PM
nice thanks

poohiebear
10-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Firewalls are a must these days, but if you turn it off for the little bit of time you are playing CS:S you shouldn't have a problem.
XP w/ sp2 allows firewall enabled and steam through - nice feature

Q-How come I bounce of tables and chairs when I walk into them?
A-This might be a bug, or it could be intentional on VALVe's part, but either way, there is one thing you can do. Change these CVARs in console:
cl_pushaway_force
cl_pushaway_max_force

Client side only?

Remmiz
10-12-2004, 10:16 PM
I believe so. I haven't tried them yet, but I will see in just a second.

poohiebear
10-12-2004, 10:49 PM
sv_pushaway_clientside 0 // Clientside physics push away (0=off, 1=only localplayer, 1=all players)
sv_pushaway_clientside_size 15 // Minimum size of pushback objects
sv_pushaway_force 30000 // How hard physics objects are pushed away from the players on the server.
sv_pushaway_max_force 1000 // Maximum amount of force applied to physics objects by players.
sv_pushaway_min_player_speed 75 // If a player is moving slower than this, don't push away physics objects (enables ducking behind things).

Pulled from somewhere else - any of these useful?

fluxtah
10-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by poohiebear
XP w/ sp2 allows firewall enabled and steam through - nice feature

is'nt sp2 firewall for outbound only? I like the new sp2 security features though I don't think they help as much as ZA

SnowManNiNjA!
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Allright, These are relevant FAQ's but, one mabye to add because ive heard others have this same problem. CS:S runs fine on my comp, but right after i loaded it onto my comp, steam refuses to open any other game besides CS:S. Like when i try and run 1.6, it says some error regarding local game files and it will download them from steam, i click OK, but it gives same error. What the hell is this?

Remmiz
10-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Hmm. I haven't seen that problem at all. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam? Make sure to backup your .gcf files first, so you don't need to redownload them.

If that does not fix it, you might want to fully delete Steam, .gcf files and all. Of course, you would need to redownload all the game files.

Remmiz
10-13-2004, 04:07 PM
v1.5 - Changed the pushback question to have correct CVARs.

SnowManNiNjA!
10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Allright Ill give that a try.

Remmiz
10-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Back to the top :-D

Remmiz
10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
v1.6 - Added what DirectX level should I run my game at, what visual difference is there between DirectX modes and VGUI menus questions.

LAcE3k
10-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, CS:S is taking over :eek:,
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/1593/thread.jpg
http://img98.exs.cx/img98/5914/stat.jpg

Remmiz
10-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Seeing a lot of repeated threads, so just a bump.

Also, v1.7 adds the extended characters in name question.

Dwarden
10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
nicely made faqs man ...

poohiebear
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Keepin on front page.

Remmiz
10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
v1.8 - Added the no servers question.

ocarD
10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by gtcole
sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky
alright alright alright!! sheesh your a tough crowd. ;)

fluxtah
10-15-2004, 02:11 PM
well dome remmiz, you da man :D

Lorn
10-15-2004, 10:51 PM
V1.8

Q-What is up with the hostages? They are HUGE!!
A-Actually, they are the same size as the player. But since the player is crouched over all the time, and the location of what you see if a little low, the hostages appear huge.

Not really. If you look from the free-look point of view the hostages are significantly larger than any CT or T. Their height, shoulder width, headsize, shoe size etc are much larger. It is NOT just the view of the player.

Remmiz
10-16-2004, 09:56 AM
That is because the T/CT models are hunchbacks. If they stood up straight, the models would be the same height.

R3!
10-16-2004, 10:01 AM
great work, keep up the FAQs! :D

Lorn
10-16-2004, 10:26 AM
That is because the T/CT models are hunchbacks. If they stood up straight, the models would be the same height.

LIKE I SAID...

Their height, SHOULDER WIDTH, HEADSIZE, SHOE SIZE etc are much larger. It is NOT just the view of the player.

You can easily see while playing that the bodies are smaller in comparison to the hostages. Being hunched over doesnt automatically make your head, shoes, arms and shoulders smaller. If you un-hunched the CT/T players they would still be smaller (yes, even shorter) than any hostage. I'm guessing the hostages were taken from HL2 and the player size in that game is larger. Its easy to see if you view any CT or T next to a hostage that they are significantly SMALLER... not just shorter.

Remmiz
10-16-2004, 10:38 AM
v1.9 - The Lorn hostage version :-P

mercuryswitch
10-17-2004, 03:38 PM
apparently hammer is out for download..
I'm not sure it's illegal since it's posted on the Valve Colletive..

here's a link: http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=hammer

P.S. If anyone figures out if it is illegal, PM me, I'll take down the link immediatly.

Remmiz
10-17-2004, 04:34 PM
I don't think that is compatable with Source...

mercuryswitch
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
and why not?

hammer is the source engine's map editor.

worldcraft is the quake engine's editor..

Remmiz
10-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Because...it's not.

Source is a different game, the current version of Hammer is for HL:1.

Tabris91
10-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Small note you dont about the config.cfg menu that steam overwrites...

I put in new the new cvars.. saved the cfg file and made it read only and that fixed the problem quickly.

Remmiz
10-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Yea, I was thinking of putting that but just having an autoexec.cfg can prevent any future errors caused by making the file read-only.

The_DoubleU
10-18-2004, 04:02 AM
One thing to add to this FAQ.

My console doesn't work.
First check that you have it enabled.
Options -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Allow developers console (?? not sure about the last part)

When I bring up the console with ` and type something the console disappears.
This can happen if you have a non-us keyboard layout/input configued in windows.
Workaround 1: after ` type a T, the console will stay open and you can enter commands.
Workaround 2: In windows regional settings set the language to US - english

SShadow
10-18-2004, 05:58 AM
How about an answer for getting the screen resolution to stay at what you set it at when you specify -dxlevel? Or is there a solution for that?

Example, I have a 9600xt and if I do not specify a dxlevel, I use 9. But if I specify -dxlevel 81, my default screen resolution changes from 1024x768 to 800x600.
If I specify the -h and -w in the startup options, I get an error starting the game, it resets the values, and restarts the game... at 800x600.

Another thing that you may want to note, is if you create a desktop shortcut to run CS:S directly, but modify the shortcut to add switches, it may suddenly start giving you an error stating that you must be connected to Steam to play the game (even though you ARE connected to Steam.) Just right click on the game in the Play Games list and choose properties and then click on the lauch options and put your switches in there and use the shortcut from the Play Games list. (Not sure if you do a create desktop shortcut after making the changes to launch options, whether it creates an icon that actually works with your switches or not... I should try that when I get home.)

The -heapsize option is a multiple of 1024, not 1000. (IE, if you want to use a heapsize of 512mb, use 524288 not 512000)

Remmiz
10-18-2004, 11:39 AM
v2.0 - Added the console questions provided by The_DoubleU.

ElDude
10-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I've just noticed that the sticky is telling people to turn off firewalls. Yeah, lets all make our home network insecure to play a game by turning off the only protection you have against people scanning your PC.

Remmiz
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, if they have the problem, and turning off a firewall is a fix, then they can do it. There is nothing in here that says "You MUST turn off your firewall!", but if they don't want lag freezes, that could be a cause of it.

Tabris91
10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Just find out what port hl2.exe runs on and open it temporarily while you play. Its what I do when I host war3 games.

Remmiz
10-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Tabris91
Just find out what port hl2.exe runs on and open it temporarily while you play. Its what I do when I host war3 games.

That would work too.

syko21
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
I just bought the bronze package but i saw that DOD: Source comes with the silver and the prices are only 10 bucks apart. If I buy the silver will i only have to pay $10 now? Please reply kthx.

jaxx75
10-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Can I use something else besides the friends list? I really want my friends to see if I am on or not, and I hate having to leave my IM windows open to tell them(etc, etc)?

www.Xfire.com <-- the gamer's instant messenger.

HTH

jaxx

Remmiz
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by jaxx75
Can I use something else besides the friends list? I really want my friends to see if I am on or not, and I hate having to leave my IM windows open to tell them(etc, etc)?

www.Xfire.com <-- the gamer's instant messenger.

HTH

jaxx

This is a FAQ, not an advertising thread :-)

Originally posted by syko21 I just bought the bronze package but i saw that DOD: Source comes with the silver and the prices are only 10 bucks apart. If I buy the silver will i only have to pay $10 now? Please reply kthx.

Yup :-) You can upgrade to a higher package. Just open the Browse Games menu and go through the steps of buying the package you want and it will deduct the price you already paid.

syko21
10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks rem

WeReWoLf5900
10-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Goofus Maximus

Anyhow, GREAT THREAD!!!!

Valve worked with 1 video card manufacturer. Why do you think that the GeForce FX has crappy support? Dx 8.1 my Butt. Runs perfectly in forced DX 9 for me. 55FPS on a 5900XT.

Barbarian
10-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Q: I get crackling sounds, especially in confined areas like hallways and tunnels. I even have a high end sound card (i.e. Audigy) and it happens. How to fix it?

A: In c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\yourname\counter-strike source beta\cstrike

There's some ".cache" files in there. Delete them

specifically

modelsounds.cache
scene.cache

need to be deleted.

jaxx75
10-22-2004, 07:12 PM
look, i wasnt advertising, i was helping, i use x****, everyone that i know that only plays on steam uses it, either friends network needs to be fixed, or steam users need to find an alternative. besides, its free.

sry admins, i will edit if there is a problem.

jaxx

Remmiz
10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
v2.1 - Added DirectX changing, rates, and crackling sounds questions.

Dvlos
10-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Remmiz Q-What should I set my rates to?
A-Here are some good rates/guildlines:
rate = 10% of your download speed
cl_cmdrate = 101 is a good one for broadband
cl_updaterate = 101 is also good for broadband[/B]

This is a great thread. With a 1.2mb down/262kb up DSL connection I should have:

Rate: 12000

what exactly does updaterate and cmdrate do?

Remmiz
10-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Dvlos
This is a great thread. With a 1.2mb down/262kb up DSL connection I should have:

Rate: 12000

what exactly does updaterate and cmdrate do?

cmdrate = Max number of command packets sent to server per second

updaterate = Number of packets per second of updates you are requesting from the server

K9-Cop
10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
There has been a lot of discussion around netcode for a while now. Here's the lowdown as of CS 1.6 as found in a GotFragged special article.

http://www.teamnoa.net/?q=forum&id=2202

To summarize:

sv_maxupdaterate is a server variable, and is the number of packets/second a server is allowed to send out. You can't view
this unless you have rcon access. Default is 30.

sys_ticrate is effectively the servers maximum fps. Again, you can't view this unless you have rcon access. Default is 100.

rate is the amount of data per packet that you the client send.

cl_cmdrate is the number of packets/second you the client send to the server.

cl_updaterate is the number of packets/second you the client is able to receive from the server.

As of CS 1.6 rate is capped at 20000.
cl_cmdrate is effetively capped by the sys_ticrate.
cl_updaterate is effectively capped by the sv_maxupdaterate.

Therefore, unless the server has ping boosting, or otherwise has played with the default value for sys_ticrate or sv_maxupdaterate, the highest you would want these settings to be are:

rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 100 (101??)
cl_updaterate 30 (31??)

Of course, if your connection can't handle those rates then you can lower them as needed.

fps_max does not effect the netcode. You should probably just set it to 100 or 101 unless you get wild swings in your fps and want to cap it to something lower to make things appear smoother.

elapointe
10-30-2004, 09:11 AM
" turning off any firewall"

I just want to add that turning off your firewall is a bad idea !

Please reconfigure-it correctly Or use a rules-based firewall(more customizable )

Please don't say "turn off your firewall !"

Remmiz
10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
v2.2 - Added pink/purple stuff question.

RAninja
11-02-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by ExSniper
who are you to say all this stuff? you dont work for valve do you? and recommending people to use search doesnt help. this is a useless post.
This is a very helpful thread. I didn't know about some of these and Valve doesn't have a FAQ out there so thank you. And to you you nay sayer leave it alone. If you want to be a jerk go do it on some thread that claims to have good scores and you feel the need to ruin there day. Your an assKlown and you need to get a life.

Nekratell
11-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by RAninja
This is a very helpful thread. I didn't know about some of these and Valve doesn't have a FAQ out there so thank you. And to you you nay sayer leave it alone. If you want to be a jerk go do it on some thread that claims to have good scores and you feel the need to ruin there day. Your an assKlown and you need to get a life.

Nicely put. I think thats what we were all thinking :).

Remmiz
11-05-2004, 03:21 PM
v2.3 - Changed/removed some questions due to the offical SDK tools being released.

DOH Venge
11-11-2004, 05:16 PM
I thank you for all the help you've posted here and my question is when I record a demo and then try to view it later I get this error message, unable to load filesystem_stdio.dll what does this mean, is anyone else having this problem and how do I fix it?

Cavor
11-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Ok, so i just got half-life gold last night ok... And when i try to play CS:S it says, Servers to busy to handle your request it says that today and yesterday... IM REALLY MAD :(

Cavor
11-14-2004, 05:25 AM
It's like spending 90 dollars on something that doesn't work..

bluemist111
11-15-2004, 03:13 AM
A question:

If I have a DX8 card and I downgrade CS:S settings to use DX7, will I get any fps improvement?

I'm asking this because I'm planning to buy a new video card.

By the way, I tried CS:S with another computer (laptop) which has Intel Extreme Graphics 2, and it says it uses Direct X 6.0 for the video hardware setting.

mbmonk
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Great post. Helped me out. Thank You.

Remmiz
11-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bluemist111
A question:

If I have a DX8 card and I downgrade CS:S settings to use DX7, will I get any fps improvement?

Most likely, yes. Of course, you will suffer a huge visual loss.

QS1_Grendel
11-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian
Q: I get crackling sounds, especially in confined areas like hallways and tunnels. I even have a high end sound card (i.e. Audigy) and it happens. How to fix it?

A: In c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\yourname\counter-strike source beta\cstrike

There's some ".cache" files in there. Delete them

specifically

modelsounds.cache
scene.cache

need to be deleted.

I just bought CS:S yesterday and now I'm having a problem. Crackling, bad sound.

I tried deleting the two above files and I'm still getting crackling, crappy lagging sound. This only happens with CS:S, and I've used most of the other engines out there, so it's not my sound card.

I'm running SoundBlaster Live 5.1.

HELP!!

******edit*****

I deleted the whole counter-strike source beta folder and everything seems hunky-dory now. Hopefully I didn't need anything in that folder. :-)

Graverobber
11-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I did the options-->keubord-->advanced thing. But still I have probs with getting my console back on.

Plz help

Remmiz
11-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Graverobber
Hi,

I did the options-->keubord-->advanced thing. But still I have probs with getting my console back on.

Plz help

What language is your keyboard set it? If it is anything other than English it causes problems.

Graverobber
11-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Now that you mention it yes, my language of my keybord is french. I will change it into english and try it again.

Thx and greetz

lewd
11-24-2004, 02:11 PM
i'm curious as to if you can rebind the console to a different key. i know this got screwed up in 1.6 but i'm curious as to if they fixed it. i hate accidently hitting the ` key to bring down console in the heat of a battle.

Luis Cypher
11-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Not sure it wasn't posted already, haven't found it and the search function is disabled, if so please forgive me:

Q:I want the old weapon names back!

A:Open the counter-strike shared.gcf with gcfscape and extract the file cstrike_english.txt (if you're playing on English settings, that is). Edit entries of weapon names in the command description area, e.g. on the right side of a line to your liking, and save the file in steam/steamapps/email/counter-strike source/cstrike/resource.

WARNING

Do not mess with the tabulators or anything else in there.

Zero7769
11-25-2004, 02:26 PM
for cs source i cant find autoexec.cfg. where is it?? thx

Remmiz
11-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Zero7769
for cs source i cant find autoexec.cfg. where is it?? thx

You need to create it in the /cfg/ folder. Just open Notepad, and set the file to All Types, and name it autoexec.cfg.

Remmiz
11-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by lewd
i'm curious as to if you can rebind the console to a different key. i know this got screwed up in 1.6 but i'm curious as to if they fixed it. i hate accidently hitting the ` key to bring down console in the heat of a battle.

You can.

In your autoexec.cfg add the line

bind "kp_minus" toggleconsole

Obviously changing kp_minus to whatever you would like.

VILENIN
11-25-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread yet (don't feel like reading it all), but for the DX levels, the FX 5600 Ultra runs best at DX 8.0. The recent Steam update forced me to use 8.1 until I put the switch into my launch params. (to go back to 8.0)and on DX 8.1 my FPS were more than cut in half. Just a note for the guy who posted the FAQ. ;)

Zero7769
11-25-2004, 05:20 PM
You need to create it in the /cfg/ folder. Just open Notepad, and set the file to All Types, and name it autoexec.cfg.

so then i write all the commands in there coorect?

Sh4d0wStr1k3
11-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Do I really need a CD to play CS:S? Is there any way around it?

Remmiz
11-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Zero7769
Yup.

Originally posted by Sh4d0wStr1k3
If you have the retail version, then yes. There is no legal way around it.

NickUK
11-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SnowManNiNjA!
Allright, These are relevant FAQ's but, one mabye to add because ive heard others have this same problem. CS:S runs fine on my comp, but right after i loaded it onto my comp, steam refuses to open any other game besides CS:S. Like when i try and run 1.6, it says some error regarding local game files and it will download them from steam, i click OK, but it gives same error. What the hell is this?

Have you taken the same data from one pc and just moved it to another ??? eg through a LAN and if so was it to another drive letter eg from C: to D: on the new pc ?? because while playing around with my network at home i found out that if you move the steam installation, to another drive there is a file called ClientRegistry.BLOB and it seems to contain all the locations steam need to look at for each relevant game and when i did it and the games no longer showed up i opened this file with notepad and changed all the F: entries to the new drive (D:) and they all showed up in MY GAMES again..... Hope firstly you understood that and secondly i hope it helps ;)

sry for the off topic nature of this post but i just couldnt help myself....

Molson
11-27-2004, 11:28 PM

Ummmm? W T F NOT?

Remmiz
11-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Molson

Ummmm? W T F NOT?

Sorry, if it was my decision I would have them in, but VALVe chose not to include them. I am willing to bet someone will write a mod for it sooner or later.

Snorbuckle
11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Yup :-) You can upgrade to a higher package. Just open the Browse Games menu and go through the steps of buying the package you want and it will deduct the price you already paid.
Can I upgrade to a silver or gold steam package if I bought the bronze package retail?

Remmiz
11-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Snorbuckle
Can I upgrade to a silver or gold steam package if I bought the bronze package retail?

Well, the retail isn't any of the packages. You would need to buy the package over steam for full price. The retail packages are non-upgradeable.

Efferri
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
I purchased the Silver Pack through Steam. Will they send me a CD? Or can I request a CD? I hate only having soft copies of something I paid $60 for.

Remmiz
11-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Efferri
I purchased the Silver Pack through Steam. Will they send me a CD? Or can I request a CD? I hate only having soft copies of something I paid $60 for.

Sadly, you do not get CD's with Steam Packages. But, you can of course backup your HL2/CSS files onto a CD, which would be kind of like having a CD. :-)

Gabriot
12-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Could we add what do I need to do to make cs:source maps?

Remmiz
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
That would take another whole thread! Check out this though: http://http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Levels/counter-strike_source_maps.html

nebosuke_neko
12-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi guys, I am curious to know... is there a way to reduce the font size displaying players name? Cause I don't know whether it's me or something else but mine just blew up like to extra large!!??

sixece
12-06-2004, 08:30 PM
the mat_dxlevel 81
and -dxlevel 81

commands do not work.

Steam will no let me run CSS citing that DirectX 9.0b is required.

whate is the workaround for this?

thanks

Nekratell
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
That would take another whole thread! Check out this though: http://http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Levels/counter-strike_source_maps.html
You could chuck that in the FAQ though? The question and the link?

runaway
12-07-2004, 08:32 PM
im having some troubles with my CS: S. I can't join any servers it says my protocol differs from the servers protocol 7 where as i have 5.

What is that meant to mean? Is there a patch out to fix this?

Sorry if this has already been posted before.

Nekratell
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by runaway
im having some troubles with my CS: S. I can't join any servers it says my protocol differs from the servers protocol 7 where as i have 5.

What is that meant to mean? Is there a patch out to fix this?

Sorry if this has already been posted before. You need to update CS Source. Make sure it is set to update automatically. My Games > Counter-Strike: Source > Right Click > Properties > "Automatic Updates: Always keep this game up to date".

runaway
12-07-2004, 09:57 PM
sweet, thanks man.

Im not really familiar with this new engine.

Wolv34ine
12-17-2004, 07:30 AM
What is the verdics with bots? I mean, some of do have Lan parties that dont have room for 20 + poeple, and bots, dumb though they usually are, help bring up the numbers. I mean CSCZ had them, jolly good they where too. So come on, everyone I know wants bots ( where talking 5 out of 5 HL2/CSS buyers here. So whats the score, can we have a date?

Tapewar
12-21-2004, 04:11 PM
id like some links: i want a lowdown on all the guns, tactics etc. please :P

nebosuke_neko
12-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Bots Bots Bots

The-Real-Link
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Hi, I just registered here and wanted to post about a problem I'm having with both CS Source and HL2. I had tried the demo on the ATI site for HL2 and there was no problem, however after purchasing the game (retail) it seems like I'm getting some transparency issues. Everything looks great except for the fences, which instead of having the grating on them, are covered by a pink/purple solid texture. It just seems odd that the demo didn't give me problems, yet the fences in the full game do. I've tried looking on the forums and ATI's site for fixes, but no one else has specifically reported this problem yet. I've kept all the settings for HL2 at the recommended and tried both D3D and OpenGL without success.

I'm playing with an ATI All-In-Wonder 32MB (the original) and amazingly, the game still runs very well. Drivers are the most recent available.

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated please!

Update:

I went into the FAQ guide and found the link to verify the cache files so I gave it a shot. Turns out it had to replace something, and after I restarted HL2, the textures were fixed and the game runs great now! There are only a few studders, but nothing horrible from what I've seen yet. Hope this helps anyone else too!

muthahumpness
12-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Tell me the story why the weapon names are made up for the the most part? Just curious....licsense of some kind?

local black man
12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
thx answers alot

StarLog
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
remez

IF THE SEARCH was allow I would use it..

Says DISABLED BY ADMINISTRATOR

pakistein
12-28-2004, 09:18 PM
who are you to say all this stuff? you dont work for valve do you? and recommending people to use search doesnt help. this is a useless post.

your post is the most useless tbh.

saweetnesstrev
12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for this FAQ keep it updated and keep it good,, cause its great man!

Jimi_the_hippy
01-08-2005, 07:22 PM

He is a very clever and helpful person and even thow i dont know him i still think you shouldn't rip into him when he is only trying to help the CS:S comuntity! this post is very VERY helpful to those who have no time for bull about probs in the game!

strider68744
01-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Nice FAQ. I'd like to ask if anyone knows the difference between the various detail settings?

For instance, do you get model decals with medium textures (or was it models)?

M0nk3yHUN
01-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Hello guys!
Is there any chance to reset the cfg file for the defaults?! Cause I made some changes with the rates (calm down I m not a ratehaxor, I used the allowed numbers!:-)) So i would like to reset the default setting in the cfg! Is there any txt or reset order somewhere for this?!
Thx for the help!

Remmiz
01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by M0nk3yHUN
Hello guys!
Is there any chance to reset the cfg file for the defaults?! Cause I made some changes with the rates (calm down I m not a ratehaxor, I used the allowed numbers!:-)) So i would like to reset the default setting in the cfg! Is there any txt or reset order somewhere for this?!
Thx for the help!

If you delete the cfg file and a custom file that has values changed, it should reset it for you automatically.

Remmiz
01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
v2.4 - Removed some questions that are no longer relevant.

t3nkuu
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
v2.4 - Removed some questions that are no longer relevant.

wow, wtf is with the versions it is just a post.. seems like spam

superiorjosh
01-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Its not any more spam than what you just did accusing him of spam, but then again is this? :s

wheaty64
01-24-2005, 03:59 AM
Hello, everybody

just read about css and the faq's

But i still have a question

i started playing the game today

==> pc = 512 mb ddr
cpu 733 mhz
radeon 9200 se 128 mb ddr

ok the game works good at low graphics. maybe unbelievable but the source engine is incredible!!!

now my question is => does any one knows some configs to speed up the game, get higher fps (but in game configs).

allready set my graphic card settings to full performance!!!

and where can i find AUTOEXEC.CFG to set direct x at 8.1 for my ati 9200

thx a lot [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]es

Greetz DaH JeFf

siodmak
01-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Q: how to play a custom sound like "I feel good" to make everybody hear it as thought you sang????

huh? huh? huh?????

BTW: yes it's possible but i dunno how :(

Sureme
01-30-2005, 01:44 PM

This is a useless comment. Keep it to yourself buddy.

Jimi_the_hippy
01-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by siodmak
Q: how to play a custom sound like "I feel good" to make everybody hear it as thought you sang????

huh? huh? huh?????

Iv seen hosts do this! thay host a game and then everybody that joinz will have to download the new wavs (and so thay probibly wont join) and then when you make your dude in the game say somthing he will say it like in the new files!

I think its easyer to use a microphone press "k" (by defalt) and just say "I feel good" or enything else for that matter!

Remmiz
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by wheaty64
Hello, everybody

just read about css and the faq's

But i still have a question

i started playing the game today

==> pc = 512 mb ddr
cpu 733 mhz
radeon 9200 se 128 mb ddr

ok the game works good at low graphics. maybe unbelievable but the source engine is incredible!!!

now my question is => does any one knows some configs to speed up the game, get higher fps (but in game configs).

allready set my graphic card settings to full performance!!!

and where can i find AUTOEXEC.CFG to set direct x at 8.1 for my ati 9200

thx a lot [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]es

Greetz DaH JeFf

I don't think there is much you can do to get a better performance unless you buy a new processor or find a way to turn off the physics. HL2 and CS:S are very CPU dependent.

And for the autoexec.cfg, you need to create it yourself. Just open notepad, type in the commands, and save it as "autoexec.cfg" (with the quotes).

Pecotrain
02-10-2005, 06:10 AM
how to play a custom sound like "I feel good" to make everybody hear it as thought you sang????
:(

I was wondering about this too . .

Another thing . .when u create a server and play with bots all the bots run around shouting stuff all the time some cool, some funny and some stupid . . .. is there anyway i can do this too like programm them into buttons. I know i can press y and ahout them but it would be cool to go on a server and shout that stuff ?

Anyone ideas at all ?

One other thing. . . Is there a way of running the game on open GL like instead of direct x or does it use the two . . .i dont know anything about this ??

Remmiz
02-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pecotrain
I was wondering about this too . .

Another thing . .when u create a server and play with bots all the bots run around shouting stuff all the time some cool, some funny and some stupid . . .. is there anyway i can do this too like programm them into buttons. I know i can press y and ahout them but it would be cool to go on a server and shout that stuff ?

Anyone ideas at all ?

One other thing. . . Is there a way of running the game on open GL like instead of direct x or does it use the two . . .i dont know anything about this ??

Just put the following into the autoexec.cfg file:

bind "y" "say OMG PWND!"

Changing the y or OMGPWNED! to whatever you want.

siodmak
02-13-2005, 05:24 AM

huh? huh? huh?????

ok... maybe the answer lies here: http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/CS_Source_Music_Player_Mod;37361x

Killer_Swath
03-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I thought there was a sticky out there for this but I could not find it. When you want to bind your keypad numbers what do you type in the [KEY] section of "bind [KEY] [COMMAND]"?

--EDIT--

Here is the original post I could not find.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=227851&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

siodmak
03-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Killer_Swath
I thought there was a sticky out there for this but I could not find it. When you want to bind your keypad numbers what do you type in the [KEY] section of "bind [KEY] [COMMAND]"?

well... the KEY (supprised?). i mean:
a - a
1 - 1
. - .
[shift] - shift

e.g. bind p "say I HAVE A BIND"
this will bind the "say I HAVE A BIND" command to the P key (yes, quotes important)

note: to bind a key from numpad you add the "kp_" prefix
e.g. kp_leftarrow stands for numpad 4
got it?

Killer_Swath
03-26-2005, 11:17 AM
well... the KEY (supprised?). i mean:
a - a
1 - 1
. - .
[shift] - shift

e.g. bind p "say I HAVE A BIND"
this will bind the "say I HAVE A BIND" command to the P key (yes, quotes important)

note: to bind a key from numpad you add the "kp_" prefix
e.g. kp_leftarrow stands for numpad 4
got it?

Yea thx, the "kp_..." was all I needed to know.

--EDIT--

Here is the original post I could not find.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=227851&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DaRabman
04-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Aha! So that's why everythings pink! Rock and roll.
Sam.

N1k23
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Add 'will assassination maps be avaliable in source?'

lordofthepit
04-06-2005, 02:05 AM
After a long and very painfull 4 hours of downloading the update for CS:S, the install never gets to 100% for offline mode to work. I can play by connecting and starting CS then dropping the connection but not by starting from offline mode...WHY??? Is this normal.

Remmiz
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by lordofthepit
After a long and very painfull 4 hours of downloading the update for CS:S, the install never gets to 100% for offline mode to work. I can play by connecting and starting CS then dropping the connection but not by starting from offline mode...WHY??? Is this normal.

I think you need to connect to one online server for it to get to 100%. Then after that you should be good to go.

lordofthepit
04-07-2005, 06:47 AM
I'll give a try tonight, so far I have been just starting my own and shooting bots, I'd like to play more online but my connection is so slow and choppy its just too harsh to stand. I really want to get back into lan fragging.

thanx again,

later

ESESES
04-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Could you maybe add this command as a partial solution for the lagging hitboxes?

cl_interp 0.[ping in ms here]

This is the ping from the netgraph not the ping from the scoreboard.

If the ping is below 100 add a 0 before it.

e.g With the netgraph displaying a ping of about 120ms
you would type this into the console:
cl_interp 0.12

and with the netgraph displaying a ping of about 30ms
you would type this into the console:
cl_interp 0.03

MSTNGS351
05-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Can anyone tell me how to set up map specific settings. For things like having sv_friction 3 execute on surf_egypt, while not changing the settings on other maps. Plus anyone know how to increase the teamlimit on maps. I would like to be able to add more than 21 bots on de_dust but when I try it says could not add bot to the game team is full. Any help would b great. Thanks.

Remmiz
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Not sure on the config for seperate maps, I tried putting a config with the map name in the maps folder, in the cfg folder, and in a folder with the name of the map inside the maps folder.

Try increating mp_limitteams or set it to 0. mp_limitteams is the max # of players 1 team can have over another.

MSTNGS351
05-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I have my server set up with mp_limitteams 0, but to no avail. It doesnt act like the teams are stacked it's like one team can only have so many spawn points. I have no idea really.

Remmiz
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, maps only have a certain ammount of spawn points available on the map. To avoid telefrags, I would assume the server wouldn't allow more than the built spawn points.

whitesquall
05-06-2005, 04:22 AM
One of the questitions in there should "be why are there so many hackers in source"..

Answer: welcome to the world of source enjoy o an we cant b [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]d stopping them..

Remmiz
05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by whitesquall
One of the questitions in there should "be why are there so many hackers in source"..

Answer: welcome to the world of source enjoy o an we cant b [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]d stopping them..

Ummm, no.

UD/Under Dog
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Q-What should I set my rates to?
cl_updaterate = 30 is also good for broadband

Yeah set ur rates to this is u want to be called a rate hacker!!!

Suitable rates in Source are
Rate 20000 or 25000
cl_updaterate 80 or 101
cl_cmdrate 80 or 101

Remmiz
06-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by UD/Under Dog
Yeah set ur rates to this is u want to be called a rate hacker!!!

Suitable rates in Source are
Rate 20000 or 25000
cl_updaterate 80 or 101
cl_cmdrate 80 or 101

I have my rates at that and have never been called a hacker...

Just to let you know, 30 is the default cmdrate, and 20 is the default update rate. 25000 being the defauly for rate.

UD/Under Dog
06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
The defaults r meant for a 56k connection. Thats why they r so low. And btw it is widely known that people who use rates that low are Rate Hacking because ur upload/download speeds mean that u are very hard to hit when in game. Ur rate need to be correct so that ur position in the map/game is displayed properly.

Defaults r
Rate 10000
cl_cmdrate 30
cl_cmdrate 30

so ur wrong again

Remmiz
06-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by UD/Under Dog
The defaults r meant for a 56k connection. Thats why they r so low. And btw it is widely known that people who use rates that low are Rate Hacking because ur upload/download speeds mean that u are very hard to hit when in game. Ur rate need to be correct so that ur position in the map/game is displayed properly.

Defaults r
Rate 10000
cl_cmdrate 30
cl_cmdrate 30

so ur wrong again

I was going by the CVAR lists, so those are wrong.

And you can't be "rate hacking" for having the default settings. That just makes you sound dumb.

UD/Under Dog
06-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm not getting at you but your obviously not in a competing tournament clan. Most tournaments will have rules and regulations about rates, default yes ill give it to you is suitable for 56k connection. BUT if people are playing on broadband using the defaults rates then it can become a very serious issue.

One guy in our clan uses and 8mb connection and had default rates this meant he was downloading all the other players situation on the map at 8mb and only uploading his position equal to 56k giving him the advantage of seeing opposition first and having about 2 seconds to react before myself or anyone else even showed him on their screen.

Hense the reasons I get so uptight about rates, it wasn't meant as a personal attack if you took it that way

Remmiz
06-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I already posted a link to your other thread, but I guess I can link it to your reply in here.

UD/Under Dog
06-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey thanks Fragalishus thats really helpful juat like Remmiz's FAQ

[RAV] Green
06-08-2005, 12:28 PM
i validated my cache files like the guy who strted this post sugested cos id had a few problems, so steam cheked them and started to update. But to my dismay stop's at 99%, i'v tried evrythin i can think of and it wont finish. i wouldnt mined if it was just a prob with HL2 but now i cant play any of the games linked to it. (No css noooooooo! if i wernt such a big strong manly man i might cry......well maby im not that strong...sob...sob...sob.)

see what this has reduced me to.

im obveousely lame so can someone please help.

Remmiz
06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
So no matter how long you leave it open, it stays at 99%?

Have you tried launching CS:S and seeing if it will launch at all?

[RAV] Green
06-08-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah man i hav i'v left it all day now and sht all has happened, ive tried shutin it down an evrythin (and belive me iv tried playin it).
*sigh*
ill keep tryin, thanks 4 the sugestion tho, throw as many my way as u kn think of.

Remmiz
06-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Not sure if this will help at all, but have you deleting the ClientRegistry.blob?

[RAV] Green
06-09-2005, 05:24 AM
i gave that a go but same as allways, it looks like in monitor that its starting to update but then the connection just peters off and it stays at 99%. i also tried the steam advice for this problem in renameing this file but didn't work either.

thanks so much 4 trying.

Remmiz
06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Hmm, only other thing I can think of it to just copy the GCFs to another folder and re-install Steam.

[RAV] Green
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I might try just re-installing the whole thing, iv compleeted hl2 enough times now anyway lol, now all i'v got to do is fined my disc. sigh thanks 4 all the help, be sure to post if u ever need my help with anythin.
u can keep on posting ideas if anymore come to mined.

cheers very much.

UD/Under Dog
06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
did u update ur graphics card because de_inferno needs to have fully updated graphics cards to work and that cud be what is stopping that final 1%.

Other than that i suggest u create a steam ticket and hope that someone out there can solve ur problem

[RAV] Green
06-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks to evryone who offered ther help.....but praise the computer gods i uninstalled steam then re-installed it and at last it work's.
im getin an upgrade soon aswell so whooooo 4 me.

cheer's once more to all u top class people u are all great.

Dont forget RAV servers and weby comeing soon (we're gunna b big i hope).

Skills and Kill's to evryone thnx.

blackdragonjaj
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Ok been to CS .net and looked around here and I can't get an answer:

Where is the manual??

I got CS:S through HL2. So now I finally have the game that everyone talks about, yet I can't find a freakking manual that explains the game, HUD,etc anywhere!!!!

I seriously looked!

I'm adding to this FAQS post to see if anyone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance

-=JAJ=-

[RAV] Green
07-07-2005, 03:28 AM
tbh man its prety self explanitory, not alot u can lern from a manual, u get more of a feel for a game if u work it out urself anyway :D

counter123
07-19-2005, 10:44 PM

[/B]

They allow you to by downloading this
http://www.counter-script.net/index.php?id=51

Install that and it is one of the options

RuD3Bo1
08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
i have a very newbie question..how can i check my FPS?

DannyBoy
08-04-2005, 07:21 AM
cl_showfps <1 - 2> or net_graph <1 - 3>

kelv0n
08-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I did this command in the launch options of cssource

and it gave errors back to basic ehm whats it called the normal settings and after a while its a 800x600 window and after a while after it 10 times said its bringing the settings back to standard it says "directx level must be over 7.0"

"-dxlevel 80"

i removed the command and tried agan and same problem and now i cant play cs source again...

fuxxed up command

can someone help me to get it working again

and half life 2 wont work neither

[color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]IT THX !?

DannyBoy
08-04-2005, 02:54 PM
If you got an Nvidia card and are using the latest drivers, roll them back a version and it should fix the problem..

Kolar
08-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by RuD3Bo1
i have a very newbie question..how can i check my FPS?
you can check your fps when you type in the console Cl_showfps1

smilesja6879
08-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Here is some good info on binding keys.

http://counterstrikestrategy.com/controlsettings.html

deject
09-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by kelv0n
I did this command in the launch options of cssource

and it gave errors back to basic ehm whats it called the normal settings and after a while its a 800x600 window and after a while after it 10 times said its bringing the settings back to standard it says "directx level must be over 7.0"

"-dxlevel 80"

i removed the command and tried agan and same problem and now i cant play cs source again...

delecte your config files. Steam will re-make them so you can play again.

fuxxed up command

can someone help me to get it working again

and half life 2 wont work neither

[color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]IT THX !?

delete your config files. Steam will re-make them with the defaults.

Dragunova
09-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Since the latest Steam update for all Source engine games it has had a major effect on my CSS, as it has been having a choppy frame rate. So I decided to lower the screen resolution, however I lowered it too far and now my screen is all black, I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling, but that didn't work. Then I had a look in the .cfg file for a screen resolution adjuster, but there is none. What must I do to fix this problem?

desire.c
09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dragunova
Since the latest Steam update for all Source engine games it has had a major effect on my CSS, as it has been having a choppy frame rate. So I decided to lower the screen resolution, however I lowered it too far and now my screen is all black, I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling, but that didn't work. Then I had a look in the .cfg file for a screen resolution adjuster, but there is none. What must I do to fix this problem?

i'm not sure... but try adding -height height_in_pixels -width width_in_pixels to the launch properties. Should work. Plus you can have fun with it and set it to crazt resolutions like 5x1200 :P

Dragunova
09-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks desire.c. Thank you for the information, and support :).

desire.c
09-28-2005, 08:36 AM
*blushes* aw shucks. t'wert nothin'.

dave3_pwnz
10-01-2005, 08:30 AM
umm... why did they say that hitboxes are laggy? i mean, they are, but so what...
the server "remembers" every player's hitboxes position of the last second...
so when you shoot, you send a message to the server: the time you shot, and the position... so the server sends back a message, if you hit him or not... so hitboxes appear totally wrong...
yes, you can check that with bots...
sv_cheats 1 and sv_hitboxes 1
hitboxes DO appear weird, but it doesn't matter where they are... the only thing that matters is the time of your shot, and the position...

Bottom line: hitboxes are OUT, the position and the time coordinated with the server are IN =)

Stop ACCUSING!!
10-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry, i couldn't be bothered to read through 3 pages of replies to check if somebody else has already added this, but, if they haven't:
V2.7

<snip>

Q-I get crackling sounds, especially in confined areas like hallways and tunnels. I even have a high end sound card (i.e. Audigy) and it happens. How do I fix it?
A-In \Steam\SteamApps\youremail\counter-strike source\cstrike there are some ".cache" files in there. Delete the modelsounds.cache and scene.cache files. CS:S will rebuild these when it is started agian.

<snip>

I have an Audigy 2, and my speakers are set to digital sound. I've found that even with the latest of all the drivers and software for the card, and using only your method, I still get crackling, and all manner of sound imperfections from the less-than-stellar sound samples used in the game shining through... (no, this is not a dig at the game or at valve, it simply is not practical to use only the highest of qualities of sound samples, i know this).

What I'm getting at here (eventually), is that I eventually fixed my problem by simply turning on digital sound in-game (ie, setting "snd_digital_surround" to "1").

So if nobody else has mentioned this, perhaps you could add it in there.

---

Edit: Wheeeeeeeeeeee, he added it in there :p

Mycro_chip
10-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm having trouble with buying ammo by pressing "," and "." :(
I can't buy any!!

Any suggestions?

BTW, i don't like pressing "B" then "6" or "7" because i waste money buying all the clips you can get for that gun.

Isaacav2
10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Can someone please clairfy the rate that I am supposed to use. If it is 10% of my download speed and I download at 370 KBPS, then what is my rate supposed to be? I used all of the defualts that this thread recamended but I can't figure out what I am supposed to put in for rate.

Thanks

rate ______

Isaac

girlzlover12
10-26-2005, 12:01 AM
the fix for the crackling sound in confined areas didnt work

If you can come up with a fix for the wierd flashy scenery Im seeing and distorted scenery you will be my god

Isaacav2
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Fragalishus
How do I ... ?

Make a CS map

DValve ERC (http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php)
DVERC forums (http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?b=390&v=flatold)
DSource SDK docs (http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/)
DHL2 World Wiki (http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)
DI wanna map (http://iwannamap.com/)
DWavelength (http://articles.thewavelength.net/)
DThe Handy Vandal (http://www.karljones.com/halflife2/main.asp)
DCounter-Server Maps (http://csm2.net/)
DGamewag (http://gamewag.com/hl2.html)
D69th Vlatitude (http://www.vlatitude.com/index.php)
DThe Wadfather (http://www.planethalflife.com/wadfather/)
DThe Texture Studio (http://www.planethalflife.com/studio/)
DMisc. Video Tutorials (http://videotutorial.free.fr/us/counterstrike_source.htm)
DHL2Mapping (http://www.hl2mapping.com/news.php)
DNem's tools (http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/)
DAKilling.org (http://www.akilling.org/akg/default.asp?akg=tutorials)
DThe Snark Pit (http://www.snarkpit.net/)

Make a CS movie (downloads, tutorials, etc.)

DCSflicks (http://www.csflicks.net/newsite/)
Down-age.com (http://www.own-age.com/)
DMachinima.com (http://www.machinima.com/)
Dmoviemakers (http://www.moviemakers.nu/)
DGamingMP (http://www.gamingmp.com/index.php)
DPlanet-Movies (http://nato.daddeln.de/pv/)
DTutorial - PDF format (http://webpages.charter.net/tknott/other/hl2-movie.pdf)

Customize my game (custom skins, models, sprites, HUDs, etc.)

DCounter Strike DL (http://www.counter-strike-dl.com/)
DCSnation (http://www.csnation.net/)
DINpact HUD tweaker (http://inpact-team.euroserv.com/modules.php?name=CSS_HUD_Tweaker&file=index_eng)
DPAF (http://www.punkassfraggers.com/)
DCSbanana (http://banana.nu/)
DCounter Strike Sprites (http://www.csnation.net/cssprites/)
Dcstrike-planet (http://www.cstrike-planet.com/steamskins/)
DHalflifeSource (http://www.halflifesource.com/)
DCS-Evolution (http://www.csevolution.com/index.php)
DDIY: in notepad - CDG (http://cdg.csnation.net/viewtopic.php?t=16413)

Make my own spray

DStatic Counterstrike (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/craigweb2k/Spray_Tut)
DTransparency - Forumplanet (http://www.forumplanet.com/counterstrike/topic.asp?fid=8447&tid=1576163)
DAnimated - Counterspray (http://www.planethalflife.com/counterspray/sourcetutorial.htm)

Make my own custom model

DXSI Mod tool (http://www.softimage.com/products/Mod/v4/)
D3dsMax (http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/)
DMilkshape (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/)
Dwunderboy.org (http://www.wunderboy.org/index.php)
DHL2 Modcentral (http://www.hl2modcentral.com/) (mapping, as well)
DClan of the Dead Goat (http://cdg.csnation.net/index.php)
DCannonfodder's HL2 Tools (http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm)
DSourceblog (http://www.sourceblog.net/page.php?file=/tuts/skin/Text/textskin)

Tweak my game

DSteam forums tweak thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272677)
DCSStoolz (http://www.csstoolz.net/)
DTweakguides/HL2 (http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html)
DDIY: Console commands (http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Console_Commands)
DBomberm@n's netcode article (http://www.pro-hl.com/column_bomberman_1.shtml)
DVERC networking overview (http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/general/multiplayer_networking.html)
DCounter-Script (http://www.counter-script.net/index.php?id=1)

Setup/Admin a dedicated server

Dsrcds.com (http://www.srcds.com/)
DMani-mod (http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/forums/portal.php)
DBeetleFart's Admin mod (http://qoda.net/cssource/minimumadmin/doc/)
DHL2 Lag free server (http://cpnclan.home.comcast.net/)
DSourceMod (http://www.sourcemod.net/)
DNemoD Plug-in (http://nemod.hopto.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

Everything else

DGoogle (http://google.com)

This should cover most of it, but I'm sure there are good links I've missed. Post them here and I'll add them to the first post in the appropriate area.

Also note: some sites deal with more than 1 area. So I tried to add them in the area of their main interest. So some of the mapping sites have tut's on modeling, and vice versa, etc.

*Some sites may require registration for access to content.

Nice list, needs some quotage to bring it somewhere easier to find.

Knifey2
11-05-2005, 12:50 AM
i just bought cs source and dod source and whenever i try to start them using steam the preparing window comes up. Then windows gives me an error that says hl2.exe had an error while starting.

Do i need to buy half life as well to run these games?
any ideas on how to fix this problem?

ekeagles
11-09-2005, 03:25 AM
BUMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weedo
11-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Why did you bump a sticky?

Thanks for some of those answers.

Y0U550U|=
12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a question. My hardware DX level is 8.1 but my software is 9. Does that mean the graphics i'm seeing wehn playing are that of the DX 9 or the 8.1?

ChrischMC
12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Y0U550U|=
I have a question. My hardware DX level is 8.1 but my software is 9. Does that mean the graphics i'm seeing wehn playing are that of the DX 9 or the 8.1?

Its a kind of Bug. I have it too. The Graphics are in DX8.1

But its strange:
Ingame Options show me this:

HL2:
Hardware DX-Level: 8.1
Software DX-Level: 9.0

CSS:
Hardware: 9.0
Software: 9.0

and when I start de_nuke (Source) with HDR enabled, all Pistol-sounds are played twice... why?

ph900921
12-13-2005, 04:38 AM
bump

polishemokid
12-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I often am timing out in connecting to games. mostly with my brother, it has nothing to do with the PC because we can connect to other games and dedicated server games just fine. We are connected through a router a netgear ma401. I am not sure exactly why we cannot play togeather in a game, we both have our own accounts so its not the same cdkey. and we are using a highspeed connection. is it the IP address? i am not sure if we are connecting through a router does that make us have the same IP?

daflecta
12-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by weedo
Why did you bump a sticky?

hahahahahahaha :D yeah, please people stop doing that, it makes me laugh :D

oblivion11
12-25-2005, 04:15 AM
Update question 1!

wendig0
12-30-2005, 09:32 PM

The thead here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299323) contains some very useful links to sites containing mapping, customization, and help tutorials.

um for somereason it says i cant go to that thread or soemting ....
um update this...
and i would like to go to that so wtf m8

flynia
01-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Are VALVe planning on making more then 2 CT and T models at all for each team?

DannyBoy
01-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes.

Goshawk
02-12-2006, 01:49 PM
This needs updating.

Remmiz
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Updated - 2/13.

dark666angel
02-18-2006, 07:34 AM
sv_turbophysics 1

dam!!!!!

If I had know this, It would have saved me so many deaths. the number of times I got stuck on a barrel, insane.

how can I save this command?

because now I have to do it again every time.

and isacaav2 great stuff man.

what I hate about every single sticky. from the moment it becomes a sticky, the guy who made it, doesnt give a f*ck about it anymore. so annoying.

maggot_9_5
02-22-2006, 08:15 AM
write it in your userconfig or autoexec

Remmiz
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Im sorry man, but I haven't had time to play CS:S lately. I am still checking the thread every so often but I can't answer all the questions cause I haven't played in quite a while.

Freakincow
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
this pops up every time i join a game.Disconnect:client timed out

dark666angel
02-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Freakincow
this pops up every time i join a game.Disconnect:client timed out

network problem. a friend of mine has wireless, and he has that problem as well. dunno how to fix it though

ŽTenks
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Very usefull sticky, thx

Meridion
03-17-2006, 10:53 PM
What this thread talks about should be added to this FAQ since many people probably don't know about how to do this with the .GCF files...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418064

LT-D3m0n
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
where can i download updates and patches???????????????????????????????????????

[RAV] Green
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM
They download automatically on steam?

Better|Off|Dead
04-19-2006, 05:52 AM
Bumped to avoid being purged.

LordPenguin
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Q: Why do I only get 100-250 servers, with most of them having 2000 ping?

A: You need to forward ports on your router. http://www.portforward.com/

Dunno if I worded it right, but I know a lot of people have been having this problem...Just a suggestion.

Angelslayer
05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
That's not always true i think.

LordPenguin
05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
It worked for me. Most people just have the problem solved for no apparent reason...but for the rest of us, I think people should know. It really is an annoying problem...

guppy
07-05-2006, 03:48 AM
Source Is really SLOW...HElp
Hello, i have just installed source and have been tryin to get it to run faster for about a week now, but nothing seems to work.The game runs fine in fun maps like Scoutnivez or aim_advance etc, but is really slow in normal maps like de_dust and cs_office etc.

I am using this --> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/e...4-68218879.html

PLEASE SOME1 CAN YOU HELP ME

darkparadox
07-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Dude, you're a d-bag he was just trying to help. Did a pretty good job explaining too.

LordPenguin
07-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Who are you talking to? That creator of the thread? You know this was stickied, right? That means the moderators decided this post contained useful information...

Remmiz
07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by darkparadox
Dude, you're a d-bag he was just trying to help. Did a pretty good job explaining too.

I try :D

freeman (FIN)
08-05-2006, 03:24 AM
ok my question is: when i start CSS come in the beginning it picture. after come black display and not go forward. but if i take console away in the Launch options and try again open CSS, i can play not come black display. how i get console not come black display in the beginning?

PS. i can play all time, but it problem to me about 2 weeks.
(sorry if i write bad english)

oOBuzzSawOo
08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
The thead here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299323) contains some very useful links to sites containing mapping, customization, and help tutorials.
It says i am not allowed to view this page...

btw(offtopic) =D i like the way this quote is set up... usualy its like [QUOTE="Remmiz"] or something and it looks ugly =D

Remmiz
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Seems that thread was moved to a private forum...a copy of the thread is posted as a reply somewhere in this thread. Good lcuk finding it, lol

Da_maniaC
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
I have a problem on my cousins computer that might be interesting to mention in the startpost as well.

On one of his computers (He has 2 pc's to play CS:S on) you get to see some stats in the lower right corner of his screen.

The stats show; FPS, PING, and net traffic IN/OUT etc.

I know there must be a command to turn this off but after looking into several command line lists etc i stil can not seem to find it.

Can anyone tell me what command to use?
(Its NOT show_fps).

TIA.

Da_maniaC
08-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I found it.

The command is named "net_graph 0".

:)

The_Fry
08-28-2006, 04:24 PM
See, i don't know if you can help me, and i don't know if anything was mentioned in other places, but can you help me on why everytime i try to play counterstrike source, it goes to the loading page, then 5 - 10 seconds later it just restarts my computer? i mean like now it's locking up.. but i don't know how to help that because i don't understand what there saying.
Hurray for me not being smart with computers.

thanks if you can help.

squeegee
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Where can I find a list of all the official maps that Valve/Steam has released since the start of CSS?

Thanks!

BRNC-Jericho
09-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Here's a chanllenge for ya, 2 questions :)

1) I need a command to add to my autoexec.cfg that enables 7.1 Audio. I have to set this everytime I go into the game, and its not a problem with HL2 so I am at a loss. Everytime I get into the game (only after a reboot) it defaults to 2 Channel Audio. Interestingly enough if I leave it to 5.1 Audio this doesn't occur. I would think 7.1 is fully supported as it works perfectly in HL2 & Ep 1.

2) Is there a like a database or huge list of all the console commands that I can use to create my autoexec.cfg? And if so, is there a list of all of the "legal" ones, so I don't end up enabling something that would be considered a cheat.

Thanks!

squeegee
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by squeegee
Where can I find a list of all the official maps that Valve/Steam has released since the start of CSS?

Thanks!

bump/help

nur23_You55ouf
09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Which command sets css defaults?

barbidou
09-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi everyone,

can someone tell me how to disabble the automatic sounds ("follow me", "stick together team", but especially "fire in the hole")?
Thanks

nur23_You55ouf
09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
revert all

I think, anyway. Not sure if that reverts defaults or only reverts changes made during the current session, but I think it reverts all back to defaults.

thanks it works. :D

Cold-Blooded
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
The second question you list is about the constant freezing and computer lock-ups which is a problem that i have encountered numerous times in the short time i have had CSS. Your answer is to "search" the forums which i did, but that was NO help. The forum is filled with people who are encountering the SAME problem, but i have not found on good reason for this nor a way to fix it! What a bunch of BS - i have a brand new, top of the line computer with excellent sound and graphics cards - so i know that is not the reason - CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT???

BRNC-Jericho
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
The second question you list is about the constant freezing and computer lock-ups which is a problem that i have encountered numerous times in the short time i have had CSS. Your answer is to "search" the forums which i did, but that was NO help. The forum is filled with people who are encountering the SAME problem, but i have not found on good reason for this nor a way to fix it! What a bunch of BS - i have a brand new, top of the line computer with excellent sound and graphics cards - so i know that is not the reason - CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT???

Lets have some specs on this top of the line computer... then we can start. :)

Networkfreak
10-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Hi everyone,

can someone tell me how to disabble the automatic sounds ("follow me", "stick together team", but especially "fire in the hole")?
Thanks

Search http://www.fpsbanana.com
, they have some packs in the sound section which disable the fir in the hole sound

tehswiftone
11-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure if someone else posted but here it is.

You said that:

Wrong

I was in a clan like the second season of cal for CSS. So it was some time ago. One of the guys on my team had a buddy that wrote this thing and it was the old school text buy menus. It was even set up like the old old cs buy menu before the switched the mp5 and awp and what not around.

mitch99
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
ok iam am crashing liek crazy..i got a pretty good computer and im runnig nothing in the backround..wat can i do?

dark666angel
11-04-2006, 06:58 PM
How can I turn the DWP off? I read in some threads that its possible.

Any ideas?

Remmiz
11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
By the way guys...I do not work for Valve, so please do not contact me outside of the game asking for help. I rarely play Counter-Strike:Source anymore so I am not much help. You are much better off asking in this thread or somewhere else on the forums.

The Chronic Kid
11-13-2006, 01:06 PM
what if your computer like crashes at the loading screen then reboots?

Abolish_Taxes!
11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
V2.8

Q-I got hit from 2 feet behind me! Whats up with that?
A-Models and hitboxes are not always where you may see them. The server is always seeing different locations than the clients.

I thought hitboxes are large, simple, transparent polygons wrapped around the more complicated models. If so, they should always have the same location relative to the model even when the model moves around. Even with lag, how can our hitboxes be trailing our models by several 'feet'? :confused:

TheQwertiest
12-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Hm... I have a problem... There're no servers with dynamic pricing in my serverlist. More than that - I cant connect to any server with dynamic prices... And one more stupid thing that I can connect to server without dynamic pricing only with 10-15 attempt! PLZ, someone help me! I want to play CS-S!
ps: about half year ago there was no problems...

jesus likes pie
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Hm... I have a problem... There're no servers with dynamic pricing in my serverlist. More than that - I cant connect to any server with dynamic prices... And one more stupid thing that I can connect to server without dynamic pricing only with 10-15 attempt! PLZ, someone help me! I want to play CS-S!
ps: about half year ago there was no problems...

probably because servers have it disabled - for good reason.

http://gametiger.com/search?server=DWP&game=css

check out how many people have dwp ENABLED and advertise it. Then check out those that advertise for having it OFF.

PROOF THAT DWP FAILED.

SP1TFIR3
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Alot of help thank you.

nabilash
01-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Lol, don't be bad, but you have NO idea of the game if you say things like this:

"Q-What should I set my rates to?
cl_updaterate = 30 is also good for broadband"

Usually Broadband is asymmetric, that means more DOWN- then UPLOAD. So it's not understandable why you say cmdrate 101, which needs upload > 100Kbit/s and cl_updaterate 30 and rate 10%! Thats a joke!

Good for Broadband with at least 500Kbit/s DOWNLOAD is cl_cmdrate 100.
If you have 128 Kbit/s UPLOAD, you're able to set cl_cmdrate to a value between 80 and 100. Rate should be 25000 to 30000 for broadband.

Please edit the FAQ.

greets

Cynic27
01-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Im having a problem with CSS. Almost every server i click has latency over 1000, takes over 20 tries before i find one i can join. I play a wide assortment of online games without any high ping times, in fact im usually one of the lower pings. Im about to reinstall the game to start off fresh, the installation is a little over a year old now, but i figured i would post the problem here and see if anyone has any information. Thanks in advance.

mm10x
01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
hello, i am new here and i was wondering if i could run counter strike: source on a mobility raideon with 16MB of v-ram, i didn't think so but the sects said that i only need a direct X 7 compatible card.:confused:

xC3rb3ruSx
01-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I am not entirely sure if you can or not but if you could it would be a slide show.....id suggest a better card.....
As i see is the bare minimum correct me if i am wrong....
* 700mhz Processor
* 128 mb of RAM
* 64 mb Video Card

mm10x
01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
ah, thanks, i just am buying a used laptop, i wanted cs:s but i will just get cs, thanks anyway.

xC3rb3ruSx
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
much better idea... :)

Dingo
02-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Sorry to disturn you guys but i've got that funny problem which i got no idea how to handle.

My HL2 runs perfectly whnever i try to play it, but i cant say the same about CS:s.
Every time i try to run CS;s i get that hl2.exe screen problem.
SAys that hl2.exe (which i got no idea how its connected to css) has accured a problem and must be closed....

I realy got no idea what to do.
any suggestions?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

xC3rb3ruSx
02-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I can't answer the question you have but i can say the hl2.exe is used for any source games, its target line just specifies which game to load, example

-applaunch 320 or something like that...correct me if im wrong :)

banana09222
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
do u need half life to run cs or dod??? i want to get the "cs first anthology"