PDA

View Full Version : Terran Conflict performance thread

Marza
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Playing Terran Conflict 3.0

The game runs smoothly for the first 5 hours or so, but afterwards it experiences some horribly low fps. Anyone else experienced this and know some possible fixes?

I've looked around the Egosoft website and dug up a few things, none of them seem to solve the problem (some even create extra problems)!

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=237398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fps&start=0

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=267024&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And my system specs:

Vista
Dual core 2ghz
3 Gb Ram
32 bit opersating system
ATI Radeon 3400 graphics card

Thanks in advance

Rahab_mx
11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
could you please describe the scenes or situations where the FPS drops down? (ie, durign a fight, just flying arround, after playign for more tahn X ammount of time, etc)

Marza
11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Fps plummets when theres a lot of action going on. If a fight breaks out, or even if theres just a lot of ships/stations/asteroids nearby there is a noticeable slowdown.

When starting a new game, there is little problem and the fight sequences are very smooth. The fps gradually gets worse as time goes on. Reloading the save doesn't help. (memory dump problem?)

I've used modifications to try and reduce the load on CPU, such as removing some civilian ships and using asteroid models with a lower poly count. This improves things slightly.

unserene
11-03-2010, 04:40 PM
You could use more RAM and a better graphics card.

Marza
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
True, more RAM and a better graphics card would help. In a way it's a shame as my specs already match the recomended specs for the game. ah well.

Any other suggestions?

vojsob
11-04-2010, 08:02 AM
try overclock your CPU, X3 is one thread aplication, which need lot of cpu power... that should help ;)

surreal
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
First try to reduce texture quality to medium. It helps a great deal, because it seems that high quality textures are at extreme resolution.
And it also seems that overall memory usage grows with time, this is probably due to small bugs or inefficient implementation of the garbage collector of the scripting engine. I rarely notice this myself, because I rarely play longer than 2-3 hours straight, but it's evident that the problem exists. Try restarting the game once in a while, it should help.

EDIT:
I'm not sure more RAM will help. 3GB of RAM leaves at least 2GB for the game, which is the exact maximum (unless you reconfigured your Windows) that a 32bit application can use.

alison22000
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I also seem to remember that to play these X2 TT, X3 R and X3 TC, that your graphics card needs to have pixel shading and open GL supported. I remember this because when I first brought X 2 the Threat a few years ago, I had similar problems. May be something to look at. Also as the player who posted before me said, the longer you play and advance in the game the more demanding on your CPU it is.

I have over 20 Linked factories in just 1 sector alone and over 40 Various ships just for playing, and every station has a set of 5 attack shps and 4 lasertowers to protect them, so with all the game computing all this stuff constantly while playing, it can weak havoc on your CPU. Do you have a few ships doing trade runs, or factories curently working, as you might need a mod to help organize it. Good luck.