PDA

View Full Version : The Runestones ...

Sushi666
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
How do they work ? It seems, I could combine a weapon and a runestone .. but, how ? :confused:

Qbah
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Depending on the runestone, you have to have two weapons equipped and use them both at the same time when your justice meter is full.

As an example the Mega Spinning Blade Sword has a whirlwind as its regular justice attack. If you have a proper rune and a Fire Axe equipped, when the justice meter is full press both the Mega Spinning Blade Sword and Fire Axe attack and DeathSpank will do a fire whirlwind, spitting flames all around him and shooting firebolts at everything around. If you have another runestone for the Hammer of the North, when your justice meter is full and you press both the Spinning Blade and the Hammer attack, DeathSpank will do a frosty whirlwind and also summon a snow blizzard that rains damage on anyone on screen.

greyscotf
12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Have the Flaming Monocle runestone and I can't figure out why I can't activate it, I am using the 360-controller and have a flaming axe on A and the monocle on B, but when full charged weapon of justice and pressing A and B together does nothing.

I played through the original Deathspank and had no problems with runestones so I am baffled.
Do I need a different fire melee weapon than the fire axe? (none in shop and I am about 20% through)
Reading the PS3 FAQ, it seems that the runestone can be used as soon as you get it from Col. Orque.

Reading other boards no one else seems confused so I feel like an idiot.

flava_clown
12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
i've just tried that... i had a fire melee weapon (demon leg axe) in the "left hand" and the ultimate monocle in the "right hand". i also have the flaming monocle runstone in my inventory.

once the justice meter is full you have to point at an enemy and then keep both buttons pressed until the airplane appears... this works even in dungeons and caves ;)

the trick is to keep the buttons pressed... for the most other runstone actions you just have to tip the bottons.

edit: i've tried that also with the fire axe 3 and it works the same...

greyscotf
12-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks flava_clown!

boriskarloff
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm having a problem here too, but it seems more specific, in that certain runestones just don't seem to do anything. For example, the poison railroad runestone. "The formerly incredible Railroad Sledgehammer becomes geyserific when combined with a nature weapon."

fair enough, I have the two together, justice charged up, hit both mouse buttons and... nothing. Similarly, melee undeath and Railroad Sledgehammer for the blessing of poultry does nothing. Is there some kind of bug with the sledgehammer? I know the nature melee weapon works because I can use it with the tesla rod for a lightning party, and the melee undeath with the spade for tiny results.

Also, the railroad sledge usually slams enemies into the ground when I use it by itself, but it seems like after attemping the combined runestone attacks it stops working. Is this some kind of bug? I've tried clicking both buttons AND holding them and nothing happens at all.

flava_clown
12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
fair enough, I have the two together, justice charged up, hit both mouse buttons and... nothing. Similarly, melee undeath and Railroad Sledgehammer for the blessing of poultry does nothing. Is there some kind of bug with the sledgehammer?

if it's a bug, then i can not confirm it!
i just discovered on the weekend how funny the use of the sledgehammer combined with an undead sword is... you'll turn your enemy into a chicken ;)
the trick is to point at an enemy when you click both buttons at the same time.
it seems also that it is not possible to use this against every enemy type. i think no effect against undead/ghost... try it against the level 8 pip trooper next to the mountain detour outhouse.

Also, the railroad sledge usually slams enemies into the ground when I use it by itself, but it seems like after attemping the combined runestone attacks it stops working. Is this some kind of bug? I've tried clicking both buttons AND holding them and nothing happens at all.

it's not a bug it's a feature!
honestly, before your post i didn't try it.

it seems after you've clicked both buttons at the same time the justice meter stays full, while you have now a slightly different and more powerful attack.
however this depends on the enemy level and type. i went to the sandy desert and tried that against the big one and did the normal slam into the ground attack (it's possible that i didn't clicked both buttons at the same time) which drained the justice meter.
after that i went with a full justice meter to the ghosts on the haunted farm and the justice meter went empty with the first blow. nothing special there as you can kill them only with nature weapons. (again it's possible that my timing with the click was bad)

boriskarloff
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
i just discovered on the weekend how funny the use of the sledgehammer combined with an undead sword is... you'll turn your enemy into a chicken ;)
the trick is to point at an enemy when you click both buttons at the same time.
it seems also that it is not possible to use this against every enemy type. i think no effect against undead/ghost... try it against the level 8 pip trooper next to the mountain detour outhouse.

Nope, same deal. I built up justice, went to where you said and clicked both buttons at once on a Pip. It just hit him with the sledge and justice didn't deplete. Then I went and left clicked on something and it was another regular hit, my justice bar stayed full. It honestly seems to break it.

Also the whole pointing at enemies thing doesn't really apply since I'm using keyboard and mouse, so when I click on enemies I automatically turn to face them.

it's not a bug it's a feature!
honestly, before your post i didn't try it.

it seems after you've clicked both buttons at the same time the justice meter stays full, while you have now a slightly different and more powerful attack.
however this depends on the enemy level and type. i went to the sandy desert and tried that against the big one and did the normal slam into the ground attack (it's possible that i didn't clicked both buttons at the same time) which drained the justice meter.
after that i went with a full justice meter to the ghosts on the haunted farm and the justice meter went empty with the first blow. nothing special there as you can kill them only with nature weapons. (again it's possible that my timing with the click was bad)

what.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what your point is here. If my double attack is supposed to - by your own admission - turn enemies into chickens and it doesn't, then either the attack is broken or I'm doing it wrong. Either way, I'm just looking for someone who can help me with that. I'm fairly sure the combo attacks are just single instance flashy attacks. They've always been so up until now.

flava_clown
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Nope, same deal. I built up justice, went to where you said and clicked both buttons at once on a Pip. It just hit him with the sledge and justice didn't deplete. Then I went and left clicked on something and it was another regular hit, my justice bar stayed full. It honestly seems to break it.

Also the whole pointing at enemies thing doesn't really apply since I'm using keyboard and mouse, so when I click on enemies I automatically turn to face them.

during my test it worked only with the first pip, the level 8 one.
also if you use the mouse you'll see that the pointer will change when you "hover" an enemy. (the usual sword got some flames added)
i think the justice bar stayed full coz there was no real rune attack.
during my test it seemed that there is kind of limit to use this... like i turned an enemy into a chicken and then the next time the justice meter was full i could not turn an enemy into chicken. i also had the feeling that this depends on enemy type and enemy level.

what.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what your point is here. If my double attack is supposed to - by your own admission - turn enemies into chickens and it doesn't, then either the attack is broken or I'm doing it wrong. Either way, I'm just looking for someone who can help me with that. I'm fairly sure the combo attacks are just single instance flashy attacks. They've always been so up until now.

listen holmes... you have to look what i've quoted. my answer is to the part of your post which got nothing to do with chickens.
this part:
I'm having a problem here too, but it seems more specific, in that certain runestones just don't seem to do anything. For example, the poison railroad runestone. "The formerly incredible Railroad Sledgehammer becomes geyserific when combined with a nature weapon."

boriskarloff
12-14-2010, 07:56 PM
So WHY can't I turn any enemies into chickens? I've been testing it for a while now and it doesn't work on ANYTHING. You CAN use it, I CAN'T. How is this not a bug? Forget the geyser for a minute - which also isn't working.

flava_clown
12-15-2010, 05:07 PM
i've never said this is not a bug, i wrote:

this means i can not "reproduce" it. it works for me, BUT not always and not with every enemy!

anyway, i had the hope that Hothead will comment on this, to clarify:
1. how are the runestones supposed to work?
2. is there some kind of limit?
3. can this be a bug?

btw... when i turn enemies into chickens i have the hammer in the "left hand" and the undead sword in the "right hand"
you should also see both weapons glowing in the HUD once the justice meter is full. (check the in-game help to see what i mean)