PDA

View Full Version : Not launching...

Sawyerism
11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Just bought ToW 2, and after overcoming the Net Framework problems, I tried to start the game, the initial steam launching game window appeared, and then nothing... not even a process in the task manager... Same with both ToW 2 Kursk and Africa.

Any ideas on how to get this running would be appreciated!

XP SP3
Core 2 Duo 3ghz E6850
4GB DDR3 RAM
480GTX
260.99 drivers

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dominatus
11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
very strange, I would try reinstalling Steam and then the game again. Good Luck :)

Sawyerism
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Reinstalled the games, and still nothing, I want to avoid reinstalling steam, as all my other games work fine, and there are about 80 of them, which would be a pain to redownload!

MG0815
11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I got exactly the same problem....that sucks
i dunno what to do either

PandaTickler
11-05-2010, 09:19 AM
1. use the config utility and set all your options to the lowest (if it isn't in the steam menu it's use it from the game folder)
2. try launching directly from the .exe in the steamapps folder
3. verify the game cache

Sneaksie
11-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Look for log.lst file in a game folder (try to launch Kursk and then look into it's folder). Post it's contents here if any, we'll try to find out what's up.

AJSawyer
11-06-2010, 04:29 AM
1. use the config utility and set all your options to the lowest (if it isn't in the steam menu it's use it from the game folder)
- The Config Utility won't launch either.

2. try launching directly from the .exe in the steamapps folder
- No joy here, same thing.

3. verify the game cache
- No change, still won't launch.

EDIT: Wth, my pc and laptop seem to log into different forum accounts, weird... :s

@Sneaksie, where abouts is the log file, I can't seem to find it.

Sneaksie
11-06-2010, 05:03 AM
It should be in your Kursk folder (steam\steamapps\common\theatre of war 2 kursk 1943\). Do you have it after trying to run the game?

AJSawyer
11-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Nope, doesn't appear to be there!

Sneaksie
11-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Strange, it means that the game didn't even begun to start...
Try to load editors, for example builder.exe in the game folder and SimpleEditor.exe in MissionEditor folder. Do they work?

Flugh
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I was having the same problem. I went into the Steam/Steamapps/common/theatre of war directory and did a couple things. Please note, this involves editing a file that, if you do it incorrectly, might just keep steam from starting the game at all. Make a back up of the .vdf file. You have been warned.

1. Make a back up copy of 46290_install.vdf

2. There's a big section with the heading "Run Process". Delete the entire section, making sure you match up the brackets. It's 19 lines. Don't mess up the nesting. It's all nice and properly indented, so it should not be a problem. Save the file.

At this point, let me say that I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with all the updates as of a few minutes ago. With this small change made to the .vdf file, Theatre of War fires right up for me. However, initially I had problems getting anything to work, so I did the following. It's also worth noting this helps a LOT of older games I've picked up on Steam, as many were written in the Win98/Vista era (I'm old).

Go to the steamapps/common/theatre of war directory, right click on tow.exe and click Properties. Now click the Compatibility tab. As a rule of thumb, I click "Run in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP Service Pack 2. Since I game on my notebook and have fonts turned up, I also check "Disable scaling on DPS settings". With all the new Aero visuals and stuff, I also check "Disable desktop composition" and "Disable visual themes" so the old games don't get confused trying to look pretty for the desktop. Now, I'm paranoid, and prefer to maintain a level of minimum-privilege for everything. But if programs refuse to remember settings, save games, etc, then you can try the "Run as administrator" setting. Just use some common sense about what kind of programs you give admin to.

My ToW is running fine now. Not sure about the editor, haven't tried to run it. But being an older game, it probably will try to write to the game's install directory (rather than your 'My Documents' where you have write privileges) where it doesn't have write privileges unless you give "run as administrator" to the editor binary. Again, use some common sense here. I just don't want to encourage people to give every program that wants to write to their system files and directories permission to do so. But I'm old and paranoid. *Afterthought* I guess you could edit properties on the MissionMaps directory to allow your user write privileges.

Hope that helps someone. Enjoy the game!

MG0815
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
i made everything you said
i have Windows Vista 32bit

i deleted the Run section and changed the compatibility mode to Win XP SP 2
well now hes doing more than before, the Screen is popping black, like the Game is starting but then he goes back to Windows...
and yes i was running it as Administrator...
but i think its on a good way >_>

Valskip
11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I Have a problem here too.
Bought tow package. Tow 1 runs fine but with the other two I get this on launch.
1943.bin unable to locate component.
"d3dx9_36 not found. reinstalling may fix this problem."
I have reinstalled, verified, checked game files, (d3dx9_36 is right there in the redist folder),tried nearly every solution found on this forum that might even vaguely fit.
Updated everything I can think of.
....No cigar.
XP64 quadcore 2.4ghz
8gig ram (4gig 32 bit)
DX 9.0c (4.090000.0904)
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX/GTX+
Any and all ideas gratefully recieved.

Sneaksie
11-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Valskip
In your case you should definitely update DirectX, the game fails to start because of it (there are only setup files in redist folder). You can update it from Microsoft site or from this 'redist' folder (run the executable).

MG0815
Which one of the games you are launching? Let's sort out Kursk first, since it's the latest. Make sure you've updated DirectX as well.
There should be a file called 'wwrc' in the Kursk folder, but do you have a weirdly named '.wwrc' file there (that's right, it begins with a dot)?

MG0815
11-09-2010, 06:31 AM
i have Africa
yes i have the .wwrc file and the wwrc file in the folder

Sneaksie
11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
MG0815
Do you have log.lst file in your Africa folder? If yes, post its contents here please.
What is your video card model and driver version?

Flugh
11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
After some fidding with the TOW2: Africa, I noticed the runasadmin.vdf file. It appears to be looking for a registry key that would indicate if .NET had been successfully installed. I ran regedit and navigated to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\Apps\46340

Then I created a new DWORD value named "NET"

Then, with the "NET" highlighted, I hit enter, changed the value to 1, and refired TOW2: Africa. Worked like a charm. I cleared all compatibility settings, still worked.

So I returned to TOW1, checked it's registry key in the same branch, but with app ID 46290, and noticed a lack of a NET key. So I did the same thing, creating the NET key and changing the value to 1. Then I cleared all the compatibility settings and restored my backup .vdf file with the dx9 and .net 2.0 stuff, and sure enough, TOW1 started up problem free.

It's my guess that there is something broken with the .NET redistributable implementation, but I'm no developer with the know-how on fixing it.

WARNING: Don't screw up your registry. It will cause Bad Things to happen. If this suggestion sounds like voodoo to you, step away from the keyboard and be thankful you didn't start gaming in the days of MS-DOS compatibility and manual sound/midi driver configurations, himem.sys, etc. Now, I'm going to play with my Rubik's Cube and have a little talk with Eliza ;-)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I was going to use TOW2: Kursk as a test since I hadn't run it at all yet, but it fired right up and went into the game without any fiddling whatsoever. There is no separate registry branch for it's app id (46360), so I'm assuming it's using the settings found for TOW2: Africa and running happily, no compatibility settings involved.

Flugh
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I Have a problem here too.
Bought tow package. Tow 1 runs fine but with the other two I get this on launch.
1943.bin unable to locate component.
"d3dx9_36 not found. reinstalling may fix this problem."
I have reinstalled, verified, checked game files, (d3dx9_36 is right there in the redist folder),tried nearly every solution found on this forum that might even vaguely fit.
Updated everything I can think of.
....No cigar.
XP64 quadcore 2.4ghz
8gig ram (4gig 32 bit)
DX 9.0c (4.090000.0904)
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX/GTX+
Any and all ideas gratefully recieved.

I'm not sure exactly what this line in the .NET install part of the script means:
"Is64BitWindows" "0"

Not sure, but it may be bailing out based on you running a 64-bit OS. I'd try the creating the registry value in my post above, and hopefully the value being there will keep the start-up from checking and failing when it detects a 64-bit OS (is there a compatibility setting that does this?).

Valskip
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Done that. Still no go???

Sneaksie
11-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Valskip, did you update your DirectX? The error you are getting clearly indicates that the game can't use a required DirectX component.

MG0815
11-10-2010, 05:09 AM
I've done that with the Registry, but still dont work

i dont have a Log File, thats strange >_>
My Video Card is a Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT with the latest Driver 8.17.12.6099 from 16.10.2010

Sneaksie
11-10-2010, 05:28 AM
MG0815
Run the executable directly, right-click on Africa1943.exe and choose 'Run as Administrator'. Remove the compatibility mode before that, it shouldn't be needed.

Biiskaps
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I have had same problem for other games. I just reinstalled DirectX and it worked.