PDA

View Full Version : Patch delayed to Monday

Sairon
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
We'll be delaying the patch until Monday due to a new found crash to desktop. We've also had some discussion concerning how the controllers should be mapped, we're going to redo some work on this front to make it easily configurable from the settings menu. This however will require us to redo the menu a bit since we've run out of room. We'll be working on this over the weekend, so the new patch date is on Monday. Sorry guys & gals :(

1nsane89
11-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Its ok, as long as its coming up :)

One thing im pretty sure must have been already suggested, but im going to suggest it anyways.

Level editor, there is nothing players love more than a level editor and a way of sharing those levels with others. This would multiply the replay vaule by over 9000 making it even more awesome game.

M4nkoRid3r
11-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Oooh, exciting :D

adypete
11-06-2010, 06:54 AM
i'd just love to be able to download replays from the scoreboard, like in trials 2

Smokindan50
11-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I think they were talking about adding ghosts and multiplayer (they were planned but couldn't be implemented for financial reasons.)

The more people that buy the game the faster they get added. Spread the word!

57E
11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Its ok, as long as its coming up :)

One thing im pretty sure must have been already suggested, but im going to suggest it anyways.

Level editor, there is nothing players love more than a level editor and a way of sharing those levels with others. This would multiply the replay vaule by over 9000 making it even more awesome game.

A level editor would be nice indeed.

To the people whoís been suggesting ghost & multiplayer support and editor, itís something which we originally planned for but wasnít able to include due to our financial situation. But itís still something we have on the wall, so if things go as planned it might make its way in.

Sairon
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
We'll be adding ghost support first because it's the one requiring the least work. We've been talking a bit over here whether it should be incorporated in the leader boards or if it should just be local.

The downside of providing it for all scores on the leader board is that we'll likely have to a special server for it. This is a bit more time consuming than just having it locally, but we'll need a server for managing user levels in any case if we're to shape up and release the editor. The other issue with having the scores available for everyone to view from the leader boards is that in some ways it kind of spoils the joy of finding optimized routs, coming on top becomes more about execution.

Bairemuth
11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I really don't like the idea of ghosts and being able to take the top time and then follow that ghost. Maybe give the person the option to disable his/her ghost if he/she so chooses.

Lazareth
11-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Maybe make the ghosts in an easily sharable format so people can exchange them if they want to? This way a person on the leaderboard can decide whether they want to share their tricks or not over a third-party site or another form?

This will also move the spoilerific nature of such ghosts a "step" away from the game, essentially being a more presentable walkthrough available on the internet.

DJ Cryotek
11-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Very quick work on the patch, no need to apologize for the short delay!

I don't see any need for ghost support being anything but local. As others suggested, it would spoil it too much otherwise. And people can record with FRAPs etc. and put videos on youtube if they really want to anyway. Or share the ghost files with each other directly.

A level editor would be dreamy. Not sure why you'd need a server for managing the levels... or were you going to make them downloadable in-game? Might want to add a rating system if you do that, so good levels get bumped up, and bad/broken levels can be more easily avoided and deleted periodically. Regardless, I'd make the maps a format that can be easily installed or uninstalled manually, so users can share maps on their own websites etc. independently of the game itself.

Analog control is the one thing I found myself wishing for again and again when I was playing. Steering without it feels awkward, as it does in any 'racing' game. It would definitely suit Nimbus, and make it feel more like you are fighting against the puzzles, not the controls.

milhouse3671
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Yep, want Analog control so badly.
When is this patch coming?

DJ Cryotek
11-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Yep, want Analog control so badly.
When is this patch coming?
I think you need to read the topic... ;)

You know, you might be able to 'emulate' analog control with JoyToKey or some other program. The only problem is that your ship would probably look like it was having a seizure if it worked.

milhouse3671
11-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I think you need to read the topic... ;)

You know, you might be able to 'emulate' analog control with JoyToKey or some other program. The only problem is that your ship would probably look like it was having a seizure if it worked.

Thanks I read the topic, it said the patch was coming monday, It's monday, just looking for some input on exactly when I'll be seeing this patch.

Sairon
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm doing the build now, some of the experimental tick rate almost made its way in unintentionally causing some delay. Everything seems to working fine now, so we'll be dropping it over to valve in a minute. There's some basic analog stick support, it doesn't use the resolution of the stick yet however, we're still a bit hesitant about including the whole resolution range of the analog stick since it gives a clear advantage to using a controller over keyboard.

We'll be going for the local solution for ghost, one will be able to transfer them between players. There's some other more pressing issues before we'll be focusing on adding more features however.

As for the level editor, ideally we'd have some sort of integrated solution where one can easily publish, browse and download them in game. But as you say, it might be more advantageous to go for a more manual approach in the beginning at least.

Sairon
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
The patch is now submitted, hopefully it will make its way to live momentarily :D

milhouse3671
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
The patch is now submitted, hopefully it will make its way to live momentarily :D

Can't wait for it to go live. Trying to wait patiently though.

Sairon
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
It's live now :)

Smokindan50
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks! Working my way through all the coins and the Scrapyard, atm. Some of the time trials are damned difficult, too.

_Wiwo_
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks a lot for the patch. I'll try it this evening when I go back home from work ;)

edgarronifigaro
11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
The patch looks good, but I can't get the controls to properly remap. I'm trying to get my keyboard left and right changed, and it just acts like I'm not doing a thing.

And for those of us who don't mind being spoiled, I would love to see the top global ghost, because, when I can't get below 7 seconds on 1-1 and someone else is doing it in just over 4, clearly I'm doing something very wrong and would like to know what it is.

Sairon
11-09-2010, 04:08 AM
left, right, up, down, return & escape on the keyboard can't be remapped. The reason for this was because otherwise you can really ♥♥♥♥ up the mappings. If you want to do it anyway you can go into the folder steam/steamapps/common/nimbus/data/ and open the file BannedKeys.xml and remove the entries for KC_LEFT & KC_RIGHT. If you get 7 seconds on the first level even when you do it almost perfectly, then it's likely you don't have 60 FPS. The game speed is currently controlled by your FPS. Take a look in http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1549634 for further explanation on the whys.

edgarronifigaro
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, that would do it it seems. Thanks for the advice. Now comes the fun part, energy drinks and all nighters to see how fast I can go.

edit: Well got the framerate issue fixed, and man does that make a world of difference, but now I'm having the issue where the time isn't being uploaded, which I know is an issue you're working on. In the mean time though, thanks for making such a great game.