PDA

View Full Version : What graphic's engine is Black Ops using?

King Pirgnob
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm watching videos for Black Ops, and compared to Modern Warfare 2 the graphics seem less polished. What graphic engine is Treyarch using? I naturally assumed they would use the Modern Warfare 2 engine, but it looks like Treyarch is using the same engine from World at War.

I would have just googled it but I read two separate articles, one said they are using the MW:2 engine, another says they are using a modified WaW engine. I don't know what right, so maybe the community knows?

Slomoshun
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Very modified Quake 3 engine, I believe.

lostshot
they are using a modified cod waw engine

GamerOfFreedom
Treyarch has stated that they are using a highly modified WaW engine (which is based of the Quake 3 engine which all CoD games are based off of)

Stop Trollin
11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
they are using a modified cod waw engine

Nice answer LOL :cool:

roB:de
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Nice answer LOL :cool:

why lol?
he's correct.

Treyarch used the alpha engine of CoD Modern Warfare 1. The engine was already used on World at War - and will be now used on Black Ops. of course a modified version.

Thats all till now. We should get more informations about the engine, after release. (by the dev.-console and whatever)

/btw
@ Stop Trollin
You joined the steam community: november'10 and own already 119 posts?

i think we all know, how productive you are

So you should stop post superfluous comments or whatever.

King Pirgnob
11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
So then it is safe to say that Black Ops graphics will not be as good as Modern Warfare 2? I'm seeing a lot more jagged lines and a lot of poor textures in some of these gamplay videos, and these aren't the old videos from months back. These are the most recent videos posted.

I know gamplay>graphics, but why use an older engine when a newer engine is very much available? Why not have both great graphics and gameplay?

ProwerPlays
11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
So then it is safe to say that Black Ops graphics will not be as good as Modern Warfare 2? I'm seeing a lot more jagged lines and a lot of poor textures in some of these gamplay videos, and these aren't the old videos from months back. These are the most recent videos posted.

I know gamplay>graphics, but why use an older engine when a newer engine is very much available? Why not have both great graphics and gameplay?

You are watching Console gameplay. PC will support higher resolution textures and Anti Aliasing.

Yvese
11-06-2010, 03:25 PM
You are watching Console gameplay. PC will support higher resolution textures and Anti Aliasing.This.

Devs/publishers love showing off the inferior console version since obviously if console n00bs saw that the graphics on their game aren't like what they saw on the gameplay videos they'll QQ.

Sad but true.

Sw00f
11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
You are watching Console gameplay. PC will support higher resolution textures and Anti Aliasing.

I played MW2 on a PC and on a 360 and the console version looked definitely worse, especially in Multiplayer. Probably the same for Black Ops.

Infiltrator
11-06-2010, 03:33 PM

This.

poodlemeister
11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, modified quake 3 engine, if you watch COD1 and COD2 side by side, ALL THE ANIMATIONS ARE THE SAME! its crazy

but anyways

Yeah, COD4 was a MASSIVE overhaul of COD2 graphics and animations wise, COD5 (WaW) was simply a tweaking of COD4, MW2 was a tweaking of COD4 and now BO is a tweaking of WaW

make any sense?

11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Black Ops will get a better look than MW2, W@W or MW1. The reason is simple:
The engine is modified.

I think some ppl really cant realize, how powerful engines can be.
There are so many games, which are based on Q3-, Unreal- or whatever engines.

But this engines are damn powerful. Just because a engine is based by a old one, it doesnt mean: 'its bad' or 'crap engine'

on the contrary:
By modify a engine, you are able to concentrate on the quality problems. Because you already own the base-code of the engine - and you dont have to code a new "base" (i hope you get my thematic).

believe me: you can pick out a lot from the old engine - especially of the Quake3 or Unreal Engine.

((may im pretty off-topic... im sorry.. and sry for my bad english :D )

JK_DC
11-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Quake 3? Welcome to the year 2000 people. There was a Quake 4 if I'm not mistaken.

_scott
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
... There was a Quake 4 if I'm not mistaken.

... and it sucked. Just sayin' :D

11-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Quake 3? Welcome to the year 2000 people. There was a Quake 4 if I'm not mistaken.

and quake 4 based on which engine? The Q3 ;)
Welcome to the world of Game-Developement.

Sa-Matra
11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
All cod games are based on quake 3 engine.

andredoc
11-06-2010, 04:21 PM
inception.

JK_DC
11-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool movie but we are talking about a video game here.

D4n_i
11-06-2010, 04:23 PM
let me ask something pls. if i can run mw2 with extra settings, and 2x AA on 1280x1024, can i run black ops with high on this resolution ?

snafuu
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
and quake 4 based on which engine? The Q3 ;)
Welcome to the world of Game-Developement.

Actually quake 4 was based on the doom 3 engine (id tech 4), not the quake 3 engine.

Welcome to consolidated knowledge.

11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
let me ask something pls. if i can run mw2 with extra settings, and 2x AA on 1280x1024, can i run black ops with high on this resolution ?

yea, it should be possible.
May you cant play the game on the max. resolutions - but on high, of course. the engines are pretty similar - there is just a requirement-difference (unofficial)

D4n_i
11-06-2010, 04:28 PM
yea, it should be possible.
May you cant play the game on the max. resolutions - but on high, of course. the engines are pretty similar - there is just a requirement-difference (unofficial)

cool, thanks for the fast answer, +2 rep.

heebusjeebus
11-06-2010, 04:31 PM
The engine hasnt changed much in the last few years. Even if you take a look at the mp log file, it still names the teams in terms of "allies" and "axis".

defex
11-06-2010, 04:49 PM

This is correct
the core of cod4 to cod 7 all hybrid engines roughly based on the ID3 engine, which was the quake 3 engine. this is also why ID software dumped Activision as a publisher, they felt they deserved some royalties on the code that Activision just handed to the cod devs. ( and a lot of other games too, like jedi knight 2, star trek elite forces etc. Activision screwed ID software hard. )

/

11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Actually quake 4 was based on the doom 3 engine (id tech 4), not the quake 3 engine.

Welcome to consolidated knowledge.

i see... you got me ;) (http://www.googleisyourfriend.com/).. but anyway... its better to get a knowledge-mistake and gettin' teached... as to say: 'Quake 3? Welcome to the year 2000 people' and usin' google... but hey: just my opinion :)

cool, thanks for the fast answer, +2 rep.

well... you're welcome... and please, dont mess your system with sites like: this one (http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/)

this kind of sites are pretty failed ;)

defex
11-06-2010, 05:41 PM
© 2010 Activision Publishing, Inc. Activision and Call of Duty are registered trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. This product contains software technology licensed from Id Software (“Id Technology”). Id Technology © 1999-2010 Id Software, Inc. The ratings icon is a registered trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.

KillBoY_UK
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Quake 4 used a modified IDtech4 (doom 3 engine) to ok effect but that engine was never good outside of dark gloomy sci-fi games and so the only other games that used it apart from Doom 3 was Quake 4 and Prey (maybe Prey 2) Nether game that looked great on a console

YahooElite
11-06-2010, 05:48 PM
i would have personally prefered the Unreal Engine, but owell.

KillBoY_UK
11-06-2010, 05:48 PM
on a side note the only realy why IW could get away with calling it there own engine in MW2 was that the quake 3 code is now open source

defex
11-06-2010, 05:53 PM
on a side note the only realy why IW could get away with calling it there own engine in MW2 was that the quake 3 code is now open source

this is true, however there is a clause of commercial use in the code... so any legit company cannot just take the code. the open source was meant to bring people into making PC games / and allow modders the freedom to create total conversions, not to lose money.

Acren
11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I used to share your point of view, but in reality it's how the game looks not how the trailer looks that matters. If you look at game footage the graphics are fine. They will be even better on PC also.

I do have one problem though, which is that the explosions are sprites.
That is 2d animations that play when an explosion goes off, and look exactly the same from all angles. Looks incredibly stupid in theatre mode.

COME ON TREYARCH THIS ISN'T DOOM

Underdark
11-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I used to share your point of view, but in reality it's how the game looks not how the trailer looks that matters. If you look at game footage the graphics are fine. They will be even better on PC also.

I do have one problem though, which is that the explosions are sprites.
That is 2d animations that play when an explosion goes off, and look exactly the same from all angles. Looks incredibly stupid in theatre mode.

COME ON TREYARCH THIS ISN'T DOOM

true on that i would like to see volumetric smoke and explosions intead of sprites... will feel a bit like playing old games like duke nukem :P

but hopefully it will be another great game to play.

cal5k
11-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I played MW2 on a PC and on a 360 and the console version looked definitely worse, especially in Multiplayer. Probably the same for Black Ops.

They dont show the public the PC version--they show the console versions

It always looks worse.

Meanwhile this isnt Crisis--they arent going to max out just because they can. Its for everyone

Razex
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM

wich used quake 3 engine

saru
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine <--- !

JoelTGM
11-06-2010, 06:22 PM
They dont show the public the PC version--they show the console versions

It always looks worse.

Meanwhile this isnt Crisis--they arent going to max out just because they can. Its for everyone

That's the truth. I could play MW2 on my laptop at like 50-60 fps, whereas Bad Company 2 was a slideshow. They optimize it every year to make it look even better, but they clearly try their best to keep the requirements down.

Acren
11-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Lol Treyarch using IW's engine.

EpicLegion
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I was bored.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2443/codq.png

Infiltrator
11-06-2010, 07:02 PM
wich used quake 3 engine

Wrong. Doom 3 engine.

Spectlaser
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Heavily modified, but still has Quake 3 as its base.

poodlemeister
11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
yeah its all a bunch of bahooey...but think about this, they are still making unreal 2 engine games (Splinter Cell Conviction if you can believe it! its more a 2.5 but still....) so yeah, its not a stretch to say this is a Quake 3 DERIVATIVE lol

but yeah, they need to pick a more modern engine if they want to keep up. I mean...the grenades...are...like 100 sided die....

Chudz
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Its using the same engine as MW2 just modified a bit. IW Enhanced Engine 2.0

When they says WAW enhanced engine which is based on MW1-2 so its the same.

Sonikku
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Its using the same engine as MW2 just modified a bit. IW Enhanced Engine 2.0

When they says WAW enhanced engine which is based on MW1-2 so its the same.

Nope. They use the same engine they used on CoD World at War which is the IW 3.0 Engine modified by Treyarch. MW2 uses the IW 4.0 Engine.

Chudz
11-06-2010, 08:18 PM
No its using the latest IW engine which is 4.0 lol look on Wikipedia the only addition from 3 to 4 is streaming textures so WaW is using version 3 with streaming textures which means it using 4.0 except the Black Ops engine has some modified lighting and physics

Its basically the same

Sarge945
11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
BO on the source engine would just be instant win.

Yeah, I know its an old engine graphics wise, however the sheer reliability and modularity of it means anything is possible with (usually) great efficiency

Ah well, the COD engine isnt that bad when you compare it to some of the more fail-worthy engines, like the Cry engine or the original Unreal Engine which was highly inefficient

SIFU
11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
:DAll cod games are based on quake 3 engine.
and so is scource engine:D

Sarge945
11-06-2010, 08:27 PM
:D
and so is scource engine:D

actually, source is based on GoldSrc which is based on the Quake 1 engine, but it has been so heavily modded that there is really only 1 or 2 sections of quake-code left.

malu05
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Tada...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Quake_-_family_tree.svg/724px-Quake_-_family_tree.svg.png

(see if you can find COD in there ^^)

We could call it the evolution of the Quake Engine or From pre tech 2.

But to correctly answer your question, the last "original" engine that the COD engine was branched off was Return to Castle Wolfenstein (even though its close to Quake 3 its a diffrent engine (hence the source code for this engine was made open source LONG after the Quake 3 engine))

Sonikku
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
No its using the latest IW engine which is 4.0 lol look on Wikipedia the only addition from 3 to 4 is streaming textures so WaW is using version 3 with streaming textures which means it using 4.0 except the Black Ops engine has some modified lighting and physics

Its basically the same

>Implying that Wikipedia is right and Treyarch is wrong.

Look, Treyarch's guys said on interviews that it's World at War's Engine, which is basically a modded IW 3.0 Engine.

Adding texture streaming doesn't make the 3.0 the 4.0 Engine because the used codecs and/or code for the texture streaming engine inside BO's IW3.0 engine may be different. It's NOT the same as MW2's engine.

punkboy459
11-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Y'all know that after IW makes a new engine for Call Of Duty series than Treyarch used IW's engines and sometime with heavy modified. However this time for Black Ops they are using extremely heavily modified from World At War the 5th installment of Call Of Duty series. But you see Black ops gameplay are almost quite alike MW2 well they are with titles, emblems, and killstreaks.

Fratricide82
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
This.

Devs/publishers love showing off the inferior console version since obviously if console n00bs saw that the graphics on their game aren't like what they saw on the gameplay videos they'll QQ.

Sad but true.

WRONGGGGGGGG The game is out now. It doesn't even come close to looking as good as MW2 with everything maxed.

I love when people just pull ♥♥♥♥ out of their ♥♥♥ before a game gets released then when it comes out they are completely full of ♥♥♥♥. HAR HAR HARRRRR

ChronoBodi
02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
i would have personally prefered the Unreal Engine, but owell.

me too, the new MoH used it to great effect, definitely looked better than cod.

Marcem7121
02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
but why use an older engine when a newer engine is very much available?

A game called Duke Nukem Forever. They did this very thing, and look where they got: nowhere.
me too, the new MoH used it to great effect, definitely looked better than cod.

That's not unreal, it's Frostbyte, I'm pretty sure.

ChronoBodi
02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
A game called Duke Nukem Forever. They did this very thing, and look where they got: nowhere.

That's not unreal, it's Frostbyte, I'm pretty sure.

MoH used two different engines, Unreal 3 for single player and frostbite for multiplayer. In fact, two different developers were used to make the single player and multi.

cool_zed
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
MoH used two different engines, Unreal 3 for single player and frostbite for multiplayer. In fact, two different developers were used to make the single player and multi.

Correct, I don't really know what gets this topic to roll anymore as the question has been answered!

Anyone up for ice cream?