PDA

View Full Version : Non 30 FPS capped Divinity?

Goatman455
11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Where can I get a non 30 FPS capped Divinity? It's not a complete game breaker but playing at 30 fps is distracting.

SLIGUY
11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree, but there is no option at this time as the developers Hard Capped it in the code.

Goatman455
11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
So even in the original game it's coded in?

SLIGUY
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
The new release yes... the one released originally several montsh ago no :)

DiceDuP
11-08-2010, 03:55 AM
The original from months ago is not capped. If you buy it now you may well get the same version for 60fps. The original has still not yet been patched to the new engine. I chose to not keep the game updated when the new one was released so at least I can still play it if I want.

Goatman455
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Well is it worth it? I heard they are going to uncap this one. It's a shame, because on console no biggie at 30fps cap b/c doubtful its running at anywhere near 60, but here it makes a big difference.

atLast
11-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Well is it worth it? I heard they are going to uncap this one. It's a shame, because on console no biggie at 30fps cap b/c doubtful its running at anywhere near 60, but here it makes a big difference.

Go look at some actual gameplay vids, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvsENEyKgv0,
In my opinon it looks awful at 30 fps. I know I wont be playing it that way.

Goatman455
11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Go look at some actual gameplay vids, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvsENEyKgv0,
In my opinon it looks awful at 30 fps. I know I wont be playing it that way.

My point is, a 30 FPS cap on a system that can only avg 35 is not as big a deal as a 30fps cap on a system that can avg 60+

We, as PC gamers are used to seeing fast framerates on our PCs so when we see a relatively much slower FPS it bothers us.

Even though at the current moment, the xbox version will run at an absolutely lower framerate than a good PC (which will avg 29.99999 with a 30 FPS cap), the relative difference in most PC games FPS to the FPS in this game is huge. Where the relative difference in most 360 games to this is not huge.

This is why we are upset as PC gamers about the FPS thing, it's all relative.

My question is, are they gonna fix it (is that rumor true) and when?

Thanks

Kotep
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
They said they're working on a 'dirty' patch now that will let you mess with the configuration files, and that it will also be incorporated into the first official patch they release.

Goatman455
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
They said they're working on a 'dirty' patch now that will let you mess with the configuration files, and that it will also be incorporated into the first official patch they release.

Well it's good to see they are listening to customers concerns and addressing them as opposed to judging them negatively like some forum users ("who cares?" is about as valid a question as "I do" a valid response").

Never played Divinity 2, but so far, other than this 30fps thing, DKS has been a lot of fun. I'll probably get blasted for saying this because I haven't seen enough of the game, but it reminds me of The Witcher, but it feels more open, and that's a very positive thing. It feels open-ended and scripted, and that's no easy feet to achieve.

crosswire
11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
This is a statement made by Larian Studios on their official site.

We obviously underestimated the impact this would have for certain players, so we're working on delivering you hotfix as fast as we can (this week still) which allows you to tweak the settings of the game to your liking. We'll do this by exposing configuration files which allow you to modify certain aspects of the engine such as for instance the lock, but also other things which could be helpful with people who are playing it on very low system specs.

At the same time we're working on a more durable solution which would become part of a patch that doesn't require you to modify a configuration file. That will take some more work however.

They are a small company without the clout of a large publisher. Their survival rely's on your support.

alexvda
11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
More info on the patch can be found here:

http://www.larian.com/dragonknightsaga_support.php

bes
11-10-2010, 09:06 AM
More info on the patch can be found here:

http://www.larian.com/dragonknightsaga_support.php

I can confirm the manual steam patch works ..in the link above..THANKS alexvda!

I have the game set like this now:

LockStepMode: enabled(DEFAULT = 1) <LockStepMode>1</LockStepMode> (since I have a 6-core CPU I figured this would be useful)

MaxEngineFPS: DEFAULT = 50 <MaxEngineFPS>60</MaxEngineFPS>

Now FRAPS proof ..top right is the FPS counter:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/Divinity%202%20DKS/Divinity22010-11-1009-55-54-62.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/Divinity%202%20DKS/Divinity22010-11-1009-55-35-79.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/Divinity%202%20DKS/Divinity22010-11-1009-54-50-56.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/Divinity%202%20DKS/Divinity22010-11-1009-54-18-92.jpg

I had better pictures but forgot to enable the stupid FPS counter in FRAPS..

Goatman455
11-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Sweet, that was fast, anyone else have it working?

cradchaw
11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I changed some stuff in those two xml files and now have over 30 fps. Still a bit choppy though I don't understand why

Goatman455
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, turn off timestep shadows. This game will tax even a fast system w/ full detail settings.

Remember this is a FPS CAP increase. Increasing the cap will only increase your FPS if your computer can push the extra FPS. Probably what is happening is that you are now noticing the differences b/t the game running at 60, then suddenly 'tanking' down to 30fps. This is one of the reasons FPS caps exist, but no doubt, the game is smoother and more enjoyable for me after the cap was lifted and I tweaked the graphics to perform up to what felt good for me. Do a little tweaking and you will be happy.

Again, the timestep shadow option is huge, and turn off vsync

wsgroves
11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Maybe im suffering an ID10T error, but I can not find the steam patch listed on the site as some are saying. I see the DVD and direct download one and even looked on their forum. Anyone have a direct link to the steam patch =./
Thanks all.

Aataxx
11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
same problem as wsgroves here, im looking at your links, and there is no steam hotfix listed on that page. no idea what you all are talking about, but it just makes me that much more irritated that steam hasn't gotten their stuff together to release this hotfix.

kinda stuck with the shader problem with the foilage, and it makes the game nigh unplayable at the moment. im willing to be patient with a fix, but this is kinda a game-breaker right now.

Windcast
11-13-2010, 06:04 PM
They've said there are no patch notes listed on steam but it's updated. I'm downloading the game now, so I'll see for myself.

They also said that the hotfix is just a small part of a larger patch that will be released at some point.

Here's the official forums:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=424737&fpart=3

Aataxx
11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
ok, i got my shadow problem fixed, looking back at the problem it made me realize that with windows 7, if you have the whole "fancy" transparent theme on that it actually affects the gameplay by letting you be able to see through everything, including the terrain.

Demens
11-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Patch has been pushed live on steam (autoupdate) just no message...
Just have to work out how to fix "microstutter" issue i am having now. /em sigh.

Aataxx
11-13-2010, 11:15 PM
actually, my last post was wrong, if you run windows 7, turn off the "run at screen resolution" option at the top, for some reason it causes graphical issues.

wsgroves
11-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok I noticed the version number went up in my game so it must of been a silent patch. Still cant say I am happy with the performance on an i7@3.5 and SLI 465's =/ and that is on high not even ultra in game settings.

cipher86
11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66ghz
4gb DDR2 Ram
ATI Radeon HD5750 512mb

I set my frame cap at 75.

Everything at high with additional options enabled (V-Sync/AA etc.) but timestep shadows enabled, I get 50-55 FPS outdoors and a constant 75 indoors. This quick and dirty patch made the game a heck of a lot smoother and as a result a LOT more enjoyable.

ForkTong
11-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Ok I noticed the version number went up in my game so it must of been a silent patch. Still cant say I am happy with the performance on an i7@3.5 and SLI 465's =/ and that is on high not even ultra in game settings.

Some tips I posted on the Larian forum include "try disabling SLI for this game". It worked for some people to get a smoother game. Other people with SLI setups had no problems playing with SLI...

Here's the rest:

# Adjust the options to your specs. If you're trying to play on high or extreme, and you're experiencing stuttering, adjust your options. Try to put your settings on high instead of extreme. Work down from there. Sometimes checking/unchecking one box makes a huge difference but it's very specific to what machine you have.

# The latest version of DirectX9.0c needs to be installed. Also on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

# Install the latest version of PhysX and the Visual C++ redistributables.

# Update your drivers and OS.

# If you have an nVidia graphics card, try disabling PhysX acceleration in the nVidia control panel and see if that makes a difference.

# If you have a dual core AMD CPU, try installing AMD's very own Dual-Core Optimizer.

# If you get the error message "couldn't create renderer", change your desktop resolution to a lower resolution, and try starting the game. In the game's options screen, check the box that says "don't use desktop resolution" and apply.

# If you are a developer yourself, don't run the game with DirectX in debug.

# Try disabling Crossfire / SLI for this game.

# If you are on Windows Vista / Windows 7, disable desktop composition.