PDA

View Full Version : Geforce GT 240

The_new_guy
11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I recently damaged my 285 with cat-fur >_>

But I'm filtering my case with ultra's vent filter for animals. It recommends that I turn up my fan speeds in>case Out>case, GPU, and CPU

That said, how much can the 240's fan be turned up before damage of ANY kind could happen (happen likely).

borg_7_of_9
11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
80% is the sweet spot for most fans, anything above is wasted energy..

The_new_guy
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
80% is the sweet spot for most fans, anything above is wasted energy..

Just because I'm overly careful can I leave it at 60 and leve the computer running when I'm away?

borg_7_of_9
11-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Should be fine as long as it can still run above 60% when needed..

And welcome to the forum's Have some rep to get you started..

YahooElite
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
i keep my GPU at 50%

and thats a pretty darn downgrade, goin from a 285 to a 240, though the 240 is a decent card for the price n can run most games with no problem.

Michaeloohra
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
yeah as long as the fan can reach higher speeds when needed you'll be good.

But to answer your question, yes 60% is low enough to not cause issues. though IMO as long and the in&out fans are pushing enough air There is no need to up the speed, unless you are really afraid that the case isn't getting enough cool (new) air. Even with the 'fur-catchers' you should still be getting antiquity enough air flow if you turned up your case fan(s). Do you know the size of the fans?. I played around with a 240 for while when I started play the CoD series. super nice card for the price and age. I could even play crysis on high (not ultra) with no AA, and still get 60FPS. (well depending on what was happening)

Anyway to wrap it all up, if you set your ideal fan speed to 60% you will be okay, even if you left your computer alone for days. Fans can take a little more of a beating than most think. ;)

The_new_guy
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Okay thanks everyone. And thank the 2 of you for the rep, how do I return rep?

And thanks michealoorha, I was wanting to get crysis, after watching all the youtube videos!

Adn I don't know my fan size:confused:. They look about the size of palm, but I don't think that will help much. I have 2 extras that came with the case. People at tom's-hardware said I should turn all the case fans to 50ish and install the the other 2 fans just to push that much more air. What do you guys think? I'm kinda new to computer, but I feel like I know a lot of surface-knowledge. Just when it gets to details I get lost...

borg_7_of_9
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Click on the white scales under the name of the person you wish to rep+

The_new_guy
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
The is only one under my name:confused: