PDA

View Full Version : Controversial topics in off topic

GIANTgonads
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I think that controversial topics should be aloud in off topic because any discussion on the big questions would be a healthy discussion. People should be able to share their views with all that want to know because right know all the discussions in off topic are mostly down right silly.

anye123
11-08-2010, 04:55 PM
The Steam forums are primarily for video games, and Off Topic is (imo) a place for some light-hearted relief from game discussions/problem-solving. Bringing explicit political/religious arguments into it would destroy the sense of community that OT fosters.

GIANTgonads
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
But why should it just be about video games and as i said right now all the discussions in OT are silly and wouldn't it be a great experiment to see what the gaming society has to say about these big topics and then compare it to those of people that actually study these topics

Matt
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
All threads must be in compliance with the rules. Secondly, as anye123 hinted to, the primary purpose of these forums is user to user help and support. Off topic is provided as a location where the rules are slightly relaxed but not totally forgotten. It's not that controversial threads are prohibited; chances are they're either against the rules or simply not appropriate for the Steam forums. There's plenty of other Internet out there for you to post topics disallowed here.

GIANTgonads
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
so your saying i can go into OT and start a thread about religions and not get an infraction

eram
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
If the rules say religious threads are strictly off limits then that includes off topic.

GIANTgonads
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
All threads must be in compliance with the rules. Secondly, as anye123 hinted to, the primary purpose of these forums is user to user help and support. Off topic is provided as a location where the rules are slightly relaxed but not totally forgotten. It's not that controversial threads are prohibited; chances are they're either against the rules or simply not appropriate for the Steam forums. There's plenty of other Internet out there for you to post topics disallowed here.
But don't you think that OT could be more than what it is now and were can you find a forum that revolves around gaming and lets people discuss these big topics. I don't want to hear what one or two people yap on about these topics i want to see what the rest of the society that i am part of has to say and relate it to my thoughts and share my own.

eram
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
But don't you think that OT could be more than what it is now and were can you find a forum that revolves around gaming and lets people discuss these big topics. I don't want to hear what one or two people yap on about these topics i want to see what the rest of the society that i am part of has to say and relate it to my thoughts and share my own.

You are on the wrong website for that.

Matt
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
What I think is you need to just follow the forum rules, which you agreed to by registering on the forums. ;) Your question was answered, so there's no need to continue the discussion.