PDA

View Full Version : Games like Nexus?

Wahero6
11-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I bought Nexus awhile ago, but just now fell in love with it.

Are there any other games like Nexus?

Opiate666
11-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Only thing off the top of my head that is similar to Nexus is Homeworld & Homeworld2. Both Homeworld games were amazing, actually far better than nexus in my opinion.

Don't know where you would find either these days though, other than maybe Amazon or Ebay.

Essedarius
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
x3?

x3 = nexus?

-.-

Arparso
11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
x3?

x3 = nexus?

-.-
One is a mission based strategy game with a heavy emphasis on tactical capital ship battles, the other is an open-world action/economics/strategy-hybrid ... so no, Nexus != X3

X3 may have fleet battles, but not any kind of interface fit enough to efficiently command your fleet - it's still a fighter game at heart, after all.

Baron_Fel
12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Theres really nothing else like Nexus out there that im aware of. Homeworld is an RTS.

evil713
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
i hate to say this but eve online uses the same 2 turret weapon setup. none of the stratagy thought.

JamieKirby1981
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
While the closest to Nexus is Homeworld and its sequel, i however hate those 2 games, the AI outright cheats to make itself challenging.

I prefer an AI to not cheat, if the game AI has to cheat to be challenging, then the developers were lazy.

Nexus is far better.

the X - series games can be fun if you enjoy trading, since thats what you pretty much forced to do early on, on X2 - The Threat, you HAVE to trade to build up the money to get the good ships and weapons and on X3, you trade again to make money, no other way to make money.

X2 = Use cheats to get money, buy ship, go gun shooting

X3 = the need for both money and reputation makes cheating pointless, you HAVE to trade to get your rep up.

It was totally offputting when you are forced to trade, its worse then Spore, get into space, bam, instantly a trade sim. lol

chip5541
05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
You might find Starfleet Command a good alternative.

confid3nt
06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Since no one have said it, Star Wolves is a similar game. You have a mother ship (sounds big but yours is the lowest kind of mother ship) with turrets and systems slot (improve shield, emergency repair, you name it).

It's mostly a story driven but you can take a break and go shoot stuff up whenever you want. Basically, you recruit plots, put them into smaller fighters that take off from mother ship's hangar and shoot stuff. Also, gain exp, learn skills, the whole she-bang. Buy 1 or 3, skip 2.

dicul
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
EVE Online.

gijas04
08-13-2011, 01:24 PM
My answer is no. I have HW 2 and even as good as that game is doesn't compare to Nexus imho. I bought Nexus in a store when it first came out and played it to death then sold it. It only took a few years and I wanted it back then it came to Steam and the rest is history. But honestly, the HW series would be the closest.. or Freespace but the game is pretty old now. There is hope though. It seems more dev's are making space strategy or tactical again (Gemini Wars http://www.geminiwars.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117, Sword of the Stars 2; Lords of Winter http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/sword-of-the-stars-ii, etc.) To be honest, we need more of these space strategy games in an age of COD, MOH, MW clones and generic online broswer games. Im ready for something different and good.