PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Map Problems

Plazmataz
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
So I'm going about my day, mapping for TF2, right? I've compiled dozens of versions of this map and playtested them all in-game with no issues. No compile errors, no problems opening the maps, no clumps of hair, nuthin'.

Then, today, I compile the latest version of the map after working on it a little more. I open it up in TF2, and when I get in-game I look around realize that the map is still the older version. Some of the props and brushes I had added since my last compile were missing. No big deal, there must have been a compile error I didn't see. So I go back to Hammer and look at the compile log; no errors. No worries, must just be a glitch. I run the map again, and after recompiling I restart TF2 and open it up. Surprise, it's still the older version.

I restart Hammer, run the map. Nothing. I restart Steam, restart Hammer, rerun the map. Nothing. I restart the computer, restart Steam, rerun the map. Nothing.

By now I'm furious. I know that there wasn't a single problem with the damned compile, so I send a friend the .BSP (which was marked as having been modified in the last few minutes, despite opening in-game as a map that's at least a day old). This is the exact same .BSP that's in my maps folder. For him, works fine. All the most recent changes and additions I'd made show up for him. Just, for some reason, they don't show up for me.

Well then. I figure I'll delete all traces of the .BSP from my hard drive, and then get my friend to send me the .BSP that I'd sent to him that had worked properly. I put it in my maps folder, run the game, open the map...

It's got the same bloody problem! The map I'm seeing is the version I'd compiled yesterday, even though the very same .BSP ran for someone else as the map I'd compiled today.

I have no idea what's going on. I've tried everything that I know to try! The .BSP is clearly not to blame, since it worked just fine for someone else on a different PC. And what's worse, I don't understand how TF2 is opening a map that doesn't even exist on my hard drive anymore!

Is there some secret cache of map data that TF2 has stored that's making it think it's running an older version of a map file than it really should be running?

Help!

master565
11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Do you have any displacements in your map? If you do your in luck, i had the same problem here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565673

Plazmataz
11-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Actually, I don't. But I'll look through my log to see if there were any model-related problems. Thanks for the heads-up!

master565
11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Well it's still similar because both of us had it compile an old version of the map.

master565
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
you can also make sure you didn't accidently set the vis to none because iv heard this will stop the map from showing changes

Plazmataz
11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, bump. Still no dice.

Vonje
11-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Have you tried playing the map together?

Compiling saves a BSP in two locations. One in your vmf directory and another in the TF2 maps folder.

gulliwog
11-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Maybe its not copying the finished compile correctly into the game folder.

Could you post your full compile log please?

Grim Tuesday
11-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I know what your problem is!

You have an invalid solid. It is caused by an incorrect vertex edit.

To fix: Press Alt+P to bring up the problem browser. Fix any problems that appear. One or more will be an invalid solid error. Delete them.

If that doesnt work, come on over to TF2maps.net, we can probably help you more there.