PDA

View Full Version : Far too expensive

tijauna
11-11-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm not going to spend 40 on Book 1/2.
Make a Gold Edition for 9.99 including both Books.
thx

Fathamurk86
11-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Why do you think Book I and II are expensive?

Toto pectore
11-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Just bought both for $22.48 (in deal somewhere else...). Let's see if it is worth those 23 bucks... Reviews are good.

NorthStar462
01-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, are these games ever going to go on sale on Steam? Even during this huge holiday sale when just about every title in the catalog is discounted at least 25%, we don't get a single cent off.

celestialokami
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I was dissapointed by that. A friend gifted me Book 1 after I got him another game. Neither of these on sale? Not even say, 20% off? A little dissapointed, its not like either of them are big name games and only book 2 was released recently.

Discounts generate sales, and especially during the holiday sale people will be reluctant to pay full price for a game like this when so many other bigger-name games are discounted. I want Book 2, did I buy it this sale? No. I bought something like 20 other games with my money. Hell for the price of Eschalon Book II, ($25), I can say I bought at least 7 other Steam games instead (Gothic 1-3 bundle @ $12, Prince of Persia PS2 games 1-3 @ $7.50 total, The Witcher @ $5). You probably can't say that all those games together have less 'fun' value than Eschalon Book II.

Its gonna take me a long time to get through them, and maybe somewhere down the line Eschalon can tempt me with a better price but its gonna be a long time. If they had put it on sale, say 40% off @ $15, you know I probably would have been temped enough to buy it.

tijauna
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
OK now ...i ended up spending 40€ on both books even if i did not wanted to.
After playing a couple of hours I'm pretty frustrated though.
This game is not even worth 10 €.
It maybe old school, but its still very boring and lacks of Content.
Do not buy it!

Vanessas
05-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Agreed... what gives! 25 dollars? That is one of most expensive indie titles I have ever seen. Considering its definitively not the most impressive i consider it a rip off and wont be buying it unless it comes down in price.

Ideal price - 15 dollars. I'd imagine this game would of been more of a success if you didn't price yourself out of the market.

Vanessas
05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Just wanna say that since shortly after posting this they took 5 dollars off the price of each game I have in fact bought it. Thank you for listening.

Enjoying it so far though I have a feeling its going to be a pretty tuff game.

kenoxite
05-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Enjoying it so far though I have a feeling its going to be a pretty tuff game.

:D

Yes, it is. But that's actually the point of Eschalon and its old-school design philosophy.

The best advice I can give you to ease your way through is this: specialize.

Don't try to be everything. If you want to be a mage, focus on the attributes and skills that suit him/her. If you want to be a warrior type, the same. Etc.

Set a goal for your charater and spend your points appropriately. You'll see then that the game doesn't become as frustrating (once you get through the difficult first steps, that's it).

If you have trouble figuring out what skills and attributes are the best for your character type I suggest you to: 1) Read the manual (just in case you haven't yet), 2) Go to the official forums (http://basiliskgames.com/forums) of the Eschalon games, as those are way more active than this place

Ixnatifual
05-25-2011, 03:49 AM
So far I'm fully satisfied with what I've received for my money.

SigilFey
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree that the price is a bit high, but not by much. I've played through most of Book I, which I picked up for $15 (USD), and I have to say that I'm enjoying it thoroughly. One may have to have love of nostalgia, but I think the game has a lot to offer regardless.

I think a good mental check before you buy is:

If you are the type of person that can really enjoy an "old-school" RPG on a mobile device, like The Quest or 100 Rogues on the iOS, or if you are the type of gamer that still plays the original Fallout or Jagged Alliance 2 on the PC, then you will love this. If not, do give the demo a try.

sh4dow83
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
jesus christ there are some people in here...
spending money on things they don't really want and then complaining... what the hell?

anybody who has honestly played this until the end and claims he didn't get his money worth is a damn hypocrite. i only played book 2 and it took me about 70 hours to explore most of the world finish it! even if you don't explore everything, it should still take you at least 20 hours... that is more than most full-priced games these days offer! so not only did you get your money's worth but actually double or triple that, depending on what game you compare it to.

if anything, the price is low considering the huge amount of content! but i suppose with the old school graphics and considering that the game does have some flaws (biggest one IMO being that one cannot run... walking takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r!), one can't really ask for more. but still... less?! you've got be kidding!