PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my PC but i have a question

Chapa9dj
11-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Greetings!! :)

I just bought all my parts to upgrade my PC and i have a questions about the PSU..

These are the specs of my new comp. (Except the HDD's which i didn't change yet)

MOBO: ASUS AM3 M4A87TD/USB 3 SATA 6GB/S
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X6 (6 cores) 1055T 2.80GHZ
RAM: 4GB DDR 3 1333MHZ Kingston
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX460 1024MB DDR5
TV TUNER: ENCORE TV Tuner
HDD1: 250GB Samsung
HDD2: 350GB Samsung

My question is, will it work ok with a 600W OR 650W PSU or do i need something bigger?
I don't remember the brand of the PSU but it's not a cheap one, i think. :p

Well, that's all.. Sorry for my english, it's not my main language and i didn't sleep to well :eek: :p.

P.S: I know about computers and hardware but i'm quite outdated with the current times and i'm not the typical tech guy.:p

LittleBaByJESUS
11-15-2010, 05:53 AM
A 600w or 650w PSU will be fine for that system. However, make sure it is a reputable brand (Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, OCZ and Cooler Master are examples of good brand PSUs but there are more).

Cheap/no brand PSUs often have poor build quality and wil give you nothing but problems.

Chapa9dj
11-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks a lot :).
Btw, is Power Cooler brand any good?
I'm really worried about this stuff, i've been reading/hearing some PC users horror stories when it comes to PSU and i really really want to make sure of everything so i don't have to spend more money for the next 2 or maybe 3 years :p

LittleBaByJESUS
11-15-2010, 06:31 AM
To be honest, I've never heard of that brand before and a google search didn't return much. Are you sure that is the brand? Maybe some other members can enlighten.

However, personally I would never run a PSU brand I haven't heard of before. The PSU is a hugely important component which is often overlooked, if you can afford it, I would buy a Corsair or Antec PSU.

Nekomancer
11-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Exactly, the stability of your system depends heavily on the PSU. That is something where you should never buy noname stuff. It's one of the most important parts of the system.

Atranox
11-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot :).
I'm really worried about this stuff, i've been reading/hearing some PC users horror stories when it comes to PSU and i really really want to make sure of everything so i don't have to spend more money for the next 2 or maybe 3 years :p

Some solid brands are (in no particular order):
- Corsair
- Seasonic
- Channel Well Tech
- Cooler Master
- OCZ
- Antec
- Silverstone
- XFX
- Xigmatek

I always recommend Corsair. They sell the most enthusiast PSU's and they have very, very few issues. They're made very well.

roxim5
11-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Do you mean PC & Power Cooling? If so, they are subsidiary of OCZ, who make pretty good PSU's. I have a PC&Power Cooling Silencer 750w PSU and have had no problems in the two years it has been in use.