PDA

View Full Version : (All Source Games) Mouse cursor lock-up, hang shortly after.

keyofnight
11-16-2010, 01:54 AM
First, my specs: MacPro4,1 2009, Nvidia graphics.

Mouse cursor locks up after 10 minutes playing L4D2 (or any other Source engine game) in any given mode (online campaign for example). I can still move around with the WASD keys, I simply cannot control the mouse cursor. If I switch back to the finder, mouse cursor remains locked. If I try to quit the application (with shortcut keystrokes since the mouse doesn't respond), `hl2_osx` hangs and requires a force quit. Even after `hl2_osx` has been force quit, there are processes still left running. Opening up a terminal and trying to kill processes by hand even proves to be an empty effort. Occasionally, Steam will hang in the process too. I've tried using both bluetooth and USB mice. The only way to fix the problem is to reboot.

All of my Souce-based games have been rendered unplayable by this bug, and I'm sure it is caused by the Nov 12th updates (I was able to play just fine before L4D2 and other games updated).

Here's a copy of the hang/crash report: http://pastebin.com/M0eazYk0

Hopefully, we can figure this out so I can blast some more zombies. (;

Mangr0v3
11-16-2010, 03:41 AM
What version of OS X? (If 10.6.4, do you have the SLGU or not?) And what GPU?

Edit: Nvm the OS, it's in the crash report.

keyofnight
11-16-2010, 03:57 AM
And what GPU?

Geforce GTS 250.

It didn't seem like a graphics card driver error; the game has been running fine for the last month and the game still runs fine while the pointer is stuck (at least, until I try to quit). Did you have an idea?

Crab
11-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Have you tried opening the Steam overlay to see if that'll reset it? Or does that not work?

I had that happen once where I couldn't close or type in the chat box for some reason. That was in TF2 though.... and it crashed soon after.

Janichsan
11-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Does this really only happen in Source games? Did you try any other game (non-Source and preferably non-Steam)?

NSGod
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Geforce GTS 250.

It didn't seem like a graphics card driver error; the game has been running fine for the last month and the game still runs fine while the pointer is stuck (at least, until I try to quit). Did you have an idea?

Hmm, that's funny, I'm not aware of a Mac version of that particular card. Is this some sort of flashed/hybrid+nvloader+Injector+Special™®?

keyofnight
11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Hmm, that's funny, I'm not aware of a Mac version of that particular card. Is this some sort of flashed/hybrid+nvloader+Injector+Special™®?

Yeah... I'd rather not talk about that. (;
(It has been working fine, and it worked without changing much of anything.)

Does this really only happen in Source games? Did you try any other game (non-Source and preferably non-Steam)?

Yes. Starcraft 2 runs fine.

Mangr0v3
11-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Tried 10.6.5 to see if the graphics/performance fixes help?

keyofnight
11-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Tried 10.6.5 to see if the graphics/performance fixes help?

Yep. After update, all of the games run beautifully until they crash. :(

(In other words, the behavior doesn't change.)

keyofnight
11-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Hm. The problem seems to have faded away. I'll keep the forum posted with potential solutions / problems.