PDA

View Full Version : Risen never opens. Appears to be drm issue

zedkhov
11-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey folks,

So, After the key server issue I was happy to receive an email saying I could run the game finally. I double click the icon annnd the game doesn't launch.

A small icon opens on my taskbar which i can never open, it displays an unknown file icon and on mouseover in the taskbar seems to be a bare textbox titled piranha bytes with a "retry" button on it.

As I mentioned I cannot interact or open this window. I've verified my local content, I run steam as admin, I have restarted and reinstalled risen and I have nothing comflicting running in the BG, firewalls, virus scanners etc.

Even more concerning this misc icon cannot be closed properly. I quit steam and then use the task manager to close this misc program (identified by a bunch of random numbers and letters in there by the way) and it will reopen...even without steam present. I looked further through the task manager and saw risen still "running" closing that then closingt he misc task worked.

...so anyone else run into thsi ridiculous problem? I'd like to convey my extreme dismay at the developers for using this ridiculous DRM...I have no problem with DRM as long as it's unobtrusive and does not punish real customers...this does both.

FrostyTheUnbald
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Here is my saga:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580684

railforge
11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I quit steam and then use the task manager to close this misc program (identified by a bunch of random numbers and letters in there by the way)

It's a bunch of random numbers and letters to you, but it's probably not a bunch of random numbers and letters to Google search or Deep Silver tech support. Copypasta the name here.

When I start Risen with my Task Manager active I haven't seen any new services like that, so this is a bit curious. Risen.exe appears in the list, but nothing that appears to be random numbers and letters as you've described.

zedkhov
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I received an email from steam support telling me to install tages drivers from the install folder and redownload my directx drivers.

at least I know I am not the only one now.

I'll keep following your thread frosty. Railforge, thank you for the reply and info. I dunno why i didn't think to check that in google when I checked everything else, in my defense it was after another 13 hour work day.

I'll try out the steam support stuff and search for the process info from my task manager when I get home and let you guys know what happened.

Z

zedkhov
11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey again,

The email instructions from steam support yielded nothing. exact same problem. The process name I mentioned in my original post is LIE9CE.tmp

No information for it appears on google.

I couldn't be more disgusted and disappointed in this companies DRM choice.

Seti
11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey Zedkhov,

I'm having the exact same issue. I have put in a ticket with Steam, but no response as of yet.

Some of the things I tried.

- Run Steam and Risen as admin
- Compatibility mode, trying all of the choices
- Verified integrity of game cache
- Uninstalled / reinstalled TAGES game drivers
- Set Affinity to take it down to 2 cpus
- Disabled UAC

Nothing worked, still getting the same error. Hopefully we find a fix soon, because there is no way this game is going to be worth the trouble it has caused.

zedkhov
11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
hey Seti,

I have verified through three other people with the same problem that downloading a mini ISO that's kicking around the web and using that has fixed all their problems...

That's right, pirates have once again fixed and beaten ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ DRM.

I am currently in an open ticket with steam tyring to get this fixed as well (they finally told me I should be in contact with deep silver which I am) and "Koch" media who provides their archaic outright broken DRM. Koch media wants a full diagnostic of my computer, forgive me but I do not trust this company in the least so I refuse to sned them any of my information..

I have asked steam for my money back several times to which they refused so. I am hoping deep silver can solve my problem, if not I may have to look into this ISO mini image thing.

Zephon
11-18-2010, 04:36 PM
hey Seti,

I have verified through three other people with the same problem that downloading a mini ISO that's kicking around the web and using that has fixed all their problems...

That's right, pirates have once again fixed and beaten ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ DRM.

So downloading a mini ISO is the solution to the problem created by people doing exactly that? way to prove em wrong sport!

zedkhov
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
So downloading a mini ISO is the solution to the problem created by people doing exactly that? way to prove em wrong sport!

Wanna think on that one again chief?

Plenty of games get by just fine without crippling DRM. In this case this DRM which literally renders the game unplayable to people who BOUGHT THE GAME has been apparently fixed by pirates.

So,
1) kiss my ♥♥♥
2) I clearly stated several times I did not try it and won't unless it's my last action left to make the game work.
3) I (once again) purchased this game and have been robbed of a functional product. Steam, Deep silver and Koch media have all given me the same cookie cutter "fixes" instead of analyzing my problem. I refuse to send any information to koch media because I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. They've knowingly released DRM which renders a product useless for some paying customers...why would I trust them?
4) Just to reiterate. Kiss my ♥♥♥.

Zephon
11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Wanna think on that one again chief?

Plenty of games get by just fine without crippling DRM. In this case this DRM which literally renders the game unplayable to people who BOUGHT THE GAME has been apparently fixed by pirates.

So,
1) kiss my ♥♥♥
2) I clearly stated several times I did not try it and won't unless it's my last action left to make the game work.
3) I (once again) purchased this game and have been robbed of a functional product. Steam, Deep silver and Koch media have all given me the same cookie cutter "fixes" instead of analyzing my problem. I refuse to send any information to koch media because I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. They've knowingly released DRM which renders a product useless for some paying customers...why would I trust them?
4) Just to reiterate. Kiss my ♥♥♥.

wanna think on that again their pal?

you're assuming its the DRM thats not letting you play and thats possible but *only* because there is obviously a technical issue.
that happens hell look at the forums, no game works perfect for everyone theres always people who have issues with everything with or without drm. it happens.

these "fixes" the pirates make are one of the reasons DRM exsists to begin with , so like i said. way to prove em wrong sport!

1. i'll pass.
2. yes i understand that you will resort to illegal methods to trouble shoot a problem, you clearly stated that.
3. you havnt been robbed of anything, again its a techincal issue that can be resolved. refusing to further help a company support you properly really doesnt help anything either.
4. see 1.

zedkhov
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
man, get that stick outta your ♥♥♥ before it comes out your mouth.

I've done every "technical fix" that's been suggested by 3 separate companies, nothing has worked. I have over 30 games installed on steam that work just fine. Want to know a huge difference between them and Risen? ♥♥♥♥ing DRM.

Yea, I stated I'd use the ISO as a last resort, though frankly If I use it to get a legally owned game working it's kind of a gray area isn't it?

instead of being a ♥♥♥♥ on forums have you ever thought about offering constructive help? perhaps finding solutions? Dunno how being a rude ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ on forums makes you feel better about yourself, but keep at it "sport"

zedkhov
11-18-2010, 05:40 PM
and yes, I have been robbed. If I take a cd home and it doesn't work it's a broken product that should be refunded. If I buy an Ipod and it's not booting up it's refunded...exact same issue here. The game does not work, all known fixes do not work (which they can verify through steam by seeing my playtime is at 0) therefor they sold me a defective product.

Refusing to help a company support me? jesus christ are you working for a DRM company? or are you just one of those fundamentalist jackasses that believes piracy can be beat? Either way I am not giving my information to a company that has the morals that they hold. I am against DRM and firmly believe if the game is good it will sell even with pirates...case in point, minecraft (what's he at now? a couple million?)

Seti
11-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I hear you Zed, I was about to just ask for a refund but it seems that they won't do that. It's funny people like to give EA a bad rep, but I had a friend who couldn't get one of their digital download games to run on his machine 2 days ago, and he was refunded and given a $20 credit to their store. Just seems like poor customer service to me on Steams part.

Zephon
11-18-2010, 07:58 PM
and yes, I have been robbed. If I take a cd home and it doesn't work it's a broken product that should be refunded. If I buy an Ipod and it's not booting up it's refunded...exact same issue here. The game does not work, all known fixes do not work (which they can verify through steam by seeing my playtime is at 0) therefor they sold me a defective product.

Refusing to help a company support me? jesus christ are you working for a DRM company? or are you just one of those fundamentalist jackasses that believes piracy can be beat? Either way I am not giving my information to a company that has the morals that they hold. I am against DRM and firmly believe if the game is good it will sell even with pirates...case in point, minecraft (what's he at now? a couple million?)

You seem to be confused here, The same game that doesnt work for you works for other people, correct? I'ts the SAME game everyone else who is playing downloaded right? I'ts not like it came with a broken part, there simply some kind of incompatibility it has with YOUR system. although from the level of immaturity youve reached in your last posts im not ruling out user error or ignorance.

You keep blaming the DRM itself for the problem when you honestly have no idea whats causing it. like no game had problems before DRM came along. i dont care if you have 30 games with no DRM, ive got a catalog of over 100 games some of them with the worst kind and ive never had an issue that i could blame the DRM for.

On a side not if you cant get it working and assuming you werent a complete prick to steam support too they will probobly refund or at least give you credit. have you tried download tages from their main site?