PDA

View Full Version : Monorails/inter-region commuting

morgan_iye
11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
So the tooltip says that monorails are the fasts form of transport between regions, but non of my sims will use them. I have passenger train networks running at 10-11k usage (so about 500%+) next to bus stops and subway systems to funnel passengers into them which are also way over capacity.

I then try changing them to mono rails...so the same route, just from rail i switch it to monorail...and from 10k passengers it drops to about 100. Whats the deal? Why wont sims use monorails to get around?

jdenm8
11-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Monorail are faster, but they're also more expensive for Sims to use (Who'd have thought that was possible) with a charge of .07 (I think) per tile compared to .05 (I think) per tile for rail.

Monorails tend to be favoured by R residents as well whereas rail tends to appeal to R and R (mostly).

Also, rail doesn't have what's called the 'Lot Transfer Cost' which is a time penalty for travelling through that building. All Elevated Rail and Monorail passengers incur this time penalty whereas Rail passengers do not because the stations do not interrupt the track.

morgan_iye
11-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Ah ok, that makes sense. It was just the massive difference...10000+ at some rail stations to 50-200 when replaced with monorail.

With the time penalty, is monorail actually slower then?

jdenm8
12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Greatly depends on the station. Well-made custom stations use exactly the same statistic, just multiplied for every tile the station has, but the Maxis ones are a bit of a mystery.

As well as that, Rail stations are off-line (they don't intersect the track) so when they get congested, they don't effect through traffic in any way. On-Line stations (ala Elevated Rail, Monorail, RoadTopMassTransit) however, do, and if they're congested, intelligent transit simulators will find ways around them instead.

I'd stick with Rail anyway, as it seems it was much more popular, and it's cheaper for you to maintain.