PDA

View Full Version : Error 51 on load

AthenaTLG
11-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Friend of mine is suffering with this error when the game is loaded, ATI HD3400 card, with drivers updated through steam as of yesterday. We've checked and the card is easily able to support this, so it may be a driver issue, anyone else reporting issues post update via steam?

I gifted this to her after finding it great fun myself, and it would be terribly annoying to find out it's not playing ball.

Frand
11-19-2010, 06:50 AM
A quick google of "Error 51 on Steam" comes up with this:

"If you have an Error 51 it means that your ClientRegistry.blob file in the Steam folder is corrupt. Try deleting that file and Steam should redownload the correct version of that file. This should fix your problem.

Additionally, if you get error 51 and replacing your ClientRegistry.blob file doesn't appear to fix the problem, check your firewall software. If the firewall software blocks some of steam's communication this can also lead to an error 51."

Found here:
http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/node/854

AthenaTLG
11-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Outstanding, just talking my friend through it now. Hopefully I can continue to spread the Zen about!

UPDATE : We may have spoke too soon. Blob file was killed and replaced, and there's no other firewall on the system, and we're still seeing an error 51.

Ideas?

AthenaTLG
11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Nevermind, we figured it out, it seems there's a third way to obtain Error 51 - F-Secure Advanced Process Scanning will trigger it on quite a number of steam games, it's an old bug that's still around, kill the process scanning and all worked :)