PDA

View Full Version : [ME1] Achievement/Settings do not stick.

Beta_Solution
11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
During gameplay in Mass Effect 1 I suffered a power outage. Now all my achievements are gone. Now that's only a minor nuisance, as I can console in the ones I already earned. But the problem is now every time I launch Mass Effect, all the settings revert back to default, and the achievements won't stay. It was a minor nuisance at first, but now it's getting frustrating. I also think it'll affect the ally achievements, since I bet it resets the number of assignments done with each ally to 0.

Is there a way to fix this? The reverted settings thing, not the achievements. I don't care about that.

arizonachris
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Game files may have been corrupted when the power went out. Verify the game files. Click on the Steam icon in the Tool Tray and choose Libraries. Right click on the game and choose Properties> Local Files> Verify.

Beta_Solution
11-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Game files may have been corrupted when the power went out. Verify the game files. Click on the Steam icon in the Tool Tray and choose Libraries. Right click on the game and choose Properties> Local Files> Verify.

Didn't work. Settings still revert to default. Bleh. I'll back up my save files, remove the game, delete all the registry entries and other traces of the game, then reinstall. It probably won't work though...

Do the achievements matter at all for using a Mass Effect 1 save file in Mass Effect 2? I may just speedrun the game to level 60, then get all the minerals and such.

[EDIT] Interesting enough. In today's log under Logs directory, I found the following line
[50.514] Log: Failed to load '..\BioGame\Save\Profile.MassEffectProfile': The file '..\BioGame\Save\Profile.MassEffectProfile' contains unrecognizable data
[50.871] Warning: Cannot save package '..\BioGame\Save\Profile.MassEffectProfile' as it has only been partially loaded
[72.400] Log: *** WARNING - PATHS MAY NOT BE VALID ***

[EDIT2] I searched out this file. There IS no save directory under BioGame at ...\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\BioGame
and thusly no profile.masseffectprofile

[EDIT3]
I was able to fix the problem by deleting my profile under ...My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save, launching the game so it'd remake the profile, then using the profile editor found here

http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=633231&forum=125

to edit in the achievements I earned. Everything works like a charm now. I'm just about to finish my second playthrough of Mass Effect to earn the Long Service Medal, then I'll do final playthough to max out my current Paragon Shep and finalize him for import to Mass Effect 2.

Venari
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Where do you see the achievements already earned? i don't see them in their usual place in the Library tab in the Steam window.

archurban
12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
ME 1 doesn't have Steam achievement. like retail box, it is inside of game.

Venari
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Ah yes, thanks. Found it in the Options menu.