PDA

View Full Version : Gamepad vs. Keyboard?

Physics Prop
11-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm quite hyped for this game and I will most likely get it for PC, but...

What do you guys think as far as using a gamepad or a keyboard goes? I wonder because I don't have a gamepad and I'm not sure if it's worth playing with the keyboard.
Possibly it is... I've played plenty of platformers with the keyboard... but none like this game. Hmm.

So what do you guys think?

Sean McGeezer
11-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I think it'll be a lot harder with a keyboard, but you'll get used to it just like any other controller
don't not get it because your don't have a gamepad though

HateTheDrake
11-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Pc controls are said to perform identically, but I'm sure a gamepad will feel better. I'm going.to try kb first, then probably just get a 360 gamepad.

Xenesis
11-20-2010, 05:50 AM
It'll be pretty playable with a keyboard, I'd say.

While a controller would probably feel better, the game has really, really simple controls (D-pad + 2 buttons!) which translates pretty well to Keyboard gaming.

Fair Warning
11-20-2010, 07:49 AM
360 pad here.

a_nevels666
11-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I think 2D platformers play just as well with keyboard.

Oneironaut
11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I've got a controller for my PC, but I'll probably still be using the keyboard. I think platformers can perform pretty well on either controller.

HateTheDrake
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
This may help to get a feel for it - go find a 2d platformer that has a demo (like VVVVVV) here on steam and try it out with keyboard.

I completed vvvvvv with a keyboard and it was fine. It's a different mechanic, but still should be ok.

pkt-zer0
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
With all the walljumping, I'd think that a keyboard would work better with the game, you can more easily alternate between the two different directions. I suppose I'll just try and find out when the game's released.

baneat
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Based on my personal experience of N1.6 and N+

Controller for "feel" all the way. I'm sure you'd do fine by a keyboard, but it just enhances it in my opinion.

Sean McGeezer
11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
This may help to get a feel for it - go find a 2d platformer that has a demo (like VVVVVV) here on steam and try it out with keyboard.

I completed vvvvvv with a keyboard and it was fine. It's a different mechanic, but still should be ok.

ya I beat VVVVVV the first time with the keyboard and then the second time I played through with a DualShock 3, it may have just been because I'd just beaten the game so it was easier but it seemed a lot easier with the gamepad

trojanpooh
11-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd assume it works okay with a keyboard, but I've never been big on PC gaming so I'll probably get a controller for this.

Lurpsukka
11-21-2010, 12:56 AM
I completed VVVVVV with a keyboard as well but this game has a lot of wall jumping and it was originally designed to be played with a controller for the 360.

So I bought 360 wired controller just for this game, it just feels more natural to play with a pad. And more fun!

baneat
11-21-2010, 04:31 AM
I completed VVVVVV with a keyboard as well but this game has a lot of wall jumping and it was originally designed to be played with a controller for the 360.

So I bought 360 wired controller just for this game, it just feels more natural to play with a pad. And more fun!

How do you know this! O.o

HateTheDrake
11-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Yep, the wall jumping and precision is the exact reason I'll probably order a 360 controller over the next week. (being out of town sucks) With a controller I like that I can change direction with just a thumb movement instead of using two keys and/or two fingers.

Physics Prop
11-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'll be getting the game regardless, but maybe I should get an inexpensive gamepad. Too bad I don't have a 360 controller. :/

Gargos
11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'll be getting the game regardless, but maybe I should get an inexpensive gamepad. Too bad I don't have a 360 controller. :/

If you want a pad only for this game, the 360 isn't the best option, the DPad sucks. A Nes/Snes pad would play awesome. But a 360 pad is very useful to play games for windows aka ports.

|MλRCO|
11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Keyboard all the way :cool:

Dunther
11-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I completed the original Meat Boy with keyboard, but I think this one is more difficult.

HateTheDrake
11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
You can get the wired 360 for $30-35 on newegg or amazon, which isn't too bad. Gamestop probably also has some used ones in there too. Although the wireless is more in the 50-60 range as you need the one that has a receiver bundled with it. (not the "regular" 360 wireless for around $39)

You could also probably pull it off with a WiiMote if you dork around with bluetooth and some 3rd party software.

As for the dpad, everyone has their opinions. I'd recommend trying it out in a store. It's certainly different from a s/nes pad, which frankly tore the hell out of my thumb until it developed a callus.

Gargos
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
It's certainly different from a s/nes pad, which frankly tore the hell out of my thumb until it developed a callus.

Pse..¬¬ be a MAN! xDD
I can stop a bullet with my snes thumb. xP

I beat Meat Boy classic with keyboard without problems btw.

HateTheDrake
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
LOL Gargos, yeah my nes thumb 'back in the day' was a force to be reckoned with. It's pretty soft and flabby these days.

Physics Prop
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
You could also probably pull it off with a WiiMote if you dork around with bluetooth and some 3rd party software.

Heh, that's actually a pretty good idea. I might try messing around with that. :)

HateTheDrake
11-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure if this works, but someone named VioletLinked posted some instructions.

http://supermeatboy.com/56/Super_Meat_Boy_Store_in_full_effect_/#c

I got as far as connecting via BT, but didn't mess with it any further.

HateTheDrake
11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
erg, couldn't hold out. Black wired 360 controller ordered from Amazon and should be here Wednesday. Might have to break it in with some VVVVVV.

misfisk
11-22-2010, 02:15 AM
I've played through the flash prototype and the map pack several times with a gamepad. The reason for that is, that after an hour or so while playing this on a keyboard, your fingers just hurt like you wouldn't believe it. Definitely use a controller.

Kader
11-22-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd recommend a controller with a quality d-pad. (so not the 360 pad)

Krackatoa
11-22-2010, 05:52 AM
I've played through the flash prototype and the map pack several times with a gamepad. The reason for that is, that after an hour or so while playing this on a keyboard, your fingers just hurt like you wouldn't believe it. Definitely use a controller.

Fos fos fos~

My iron fingers laugh at your waffled attempts to use a keyboard.

There's nothing wrong with using keyboard as your preferred input. It's just as responsive as a gamepad, as there's no analog movement, just stop and go, left and right.

Eppy37
11-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I've played all my one-hit-death platformers on keyboard. As long as i can make the jump button the up arrow key, then I'm good to go.

DarK_AssassiN
11-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Will this support a gamepad, the Steam page for it doesn't have the "supports gamepad" thing :eek:

I know there are third party programs to help with that, but it would be nice if it was supported.

HateTheDrake
11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
It says it supports the 360. Others may work as well.

Kissaki
11-24-2010, 06:25 AM
This is my only lasting concern as well,
will I enjoy keyboard controls?
A demo prior to release would’ve been nice …

FuuKuy
11-24-2010, 07:14 AM
A demo prior to release would’ve been nice …

This should work: http://bit.ly/gqPq89

Heids24
11-24-2010, 07:58 AM
If you have the option, this is one instance where a gamepad will likely control easier than a keyboard.

Krackatoa
11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Will this support a gamepad, the Steam page for it doesn't have the "supports gamepad" thing :eek:

I know there are third party programs to help with that, but it would be nice if it was supported.

It will support any gamepad. The game doesn't have analog controls, so if it doesn't have native support, you can always run Joy2Key.

0xDEADC0DE
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
keys are much faster and sensibles than that crappy xbox 360 d-pad. And much better than using an analog stick for a 2d platform.
That said you can also play the game with a pad

Mr_Fayce
11-24-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a PS3 controller, anyone know if I can plug that in and play SMB with it?

Krackatoa
11-24-2010, 08:51 AM
I have a PS3 controller, anyone know if I can plug that in and play SMB with it?

If you download PS3 gamepad drivers for your PC, yes. There's no official release of those from Sony, but there's a number of community made ones floating around on the internet.

Sam&Max
11-24-2010, 09:07 PM
keys are much faster and sensibles than that crappy xbox 360 d-pad. And much better than using an analog stick for a 2d platform.
That said you can also play the game with a pad
While usually true, Meat Boy was designed with only two directions in mind(left and right) with no up/down acknowledgment. I actually have found it very comfortable using an analog stick to play, unlike with 99% of 2D games.

Xenesis
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I've had no issues with the 360 Stick to play the game.

trojanpooh
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
After playing Super Meat Boy on the 360 I can't see myself playing the game any other way, not even with a d-pad (And I haaaaaaattteeee 2D platforming with the joystick).

loinbread
11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
After playing Super Meat Boy on the 360 I can't see myself playing the game any other way, not even with a d-pad (And I haaaaaaattteeee 2D platforming with the joystick).

Really? Does it handle a bit like N+? It was surprising that N+ played so well on analogs.

Solidamus
11-25-2010, 02:50 AM
I wonder how well the game works with an arcade stick. I Don't have an proper game pad since my Chillstream broke but I have a new X-Arcade Dual Joystick.

HateTheDrake
11-25-2010, 06:02 AM
I believe team meat said they (at least one of them) prefers the analog stick for Smb.

Krackatoa
11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
I wonder how well the game works with an arcade stick. I Don't have an proper game pad since my Chillstream broke but I have a new X-Arcade Dual Joystick.

X-Arcade should work just fine. I used my SFIV TE stick for N and N+. Handled much better than a 360 pad. I don't believe the game handles analog controls, so any 8-way stick should work fine.

MEATER
11-25-2010, 06:19 AM
X-Arcade should work just fine. I used my SFIV TE stick for N and N+. Handled much better than a 360 pad. I don't believe the game handles analog controls, so any 8-way stick should work fine.

Was planning to play this on my laptop without pad. So I did not even care that much if it has pad support build in or not.

But using my SFIV TE stick to play this sounds like an even better idea :)

Hope they have native support for the 360 pad since I presume that would also cover the stick!

Krackatoa
11-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Was planning to play this on my laptop without pad. So I did not even care that much if it has pad support build in or not.

But using my SFIV TE stick to play this sounds like an even better idea :)

Hope they have native support for the 360 pad since I presume that would also cover the stick!

Getting a 360 TE working properly may cause some complications outside of GFWL programs. If it's not working after installing Microsoft's basic controller drivers, you may have to head to Google to get a community fix. :\

Forsaken Bacon
11-25-2010, 07:18 AM
So, I can use a USB xbox 360 controller to play this game?
What about a wireless controller?

Sam&Max
11-25-2010, 07:40 AM
So, I can use a USB xbox 360 controller to play this game?
What about a wireless controller?
Wired and wireless "for Windows" should work. Wireless 360 controllers won't. There's a dongle you can buy cheaply that officially is supposed to make it work, but whether it does or not seems to be up in the air and pretty sketchy.

Krackatoa
11-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Wired and wireless "for Windows" should work. Wireless 360 controllers won't. There's a dongle you can buy cheaply that officially is supposed to make it work, but whether it does or not seems to be up in the air and pretty sketchy.

Dongle works, but it can have issues with XP.

HateTheDrake
11-25-2010, 07:49 AM
The standard 360 wired should work. Don't have to get the 'for windows' one if.you download the drivers. At least that was what I read so we'll find out soon. :)

I didn't want to mess with batteries or the dongle.

Sam&Max
11-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I've had a variety of issues with it, including the thing not working at all, having to use Joy2Key for games that support the 360 controller, and getting generic UI in games that use 360 controller UI(buttons shown on-screen, etc) when it detects you're using the 360 controller. Your mileage may vary, I suppose, but I found the wired solution to be far more worthwhile.

Amy
11-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Kinect
Using it, i will.
G

HateTheDrake
11-25-2010, 10:38 PM
FWIW, I tried out my new standard wired 360 (this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSN600)) tonight and it worked flawlessly on VVVVVV. (using joy2key as it doesn't natively support a controller) It also felt really damn good as compared to the keyboard, but that's just me.

This is with WinXP sp3 and I attached the 360 and let windows find drivers. There is also their download site (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=gaming), but I didn't install these. Since it was working I didn't want to mess it up with anything else. I don't know if this adds any functionality or microsoft's version of something like xpadder or joy2key.

Really looking forward to SMB with a controller now!

@Amy: lol

mmyoda
11-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd say check out the original meat boy on new grounds dot com and see how you like that on the keyboard. Personally I can use either, but I prefer to use my 360 controller for things like this.

MEATER
11-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Getting a 360 TE working properly may cause some complications outside of GFWL programs. If it's not working after installing Microsoft's basic controller drivers, you may have to head to Google to get a community fix. :\

Hopefully not. Otherwise it might not happen. My attention span is zero when it comes to fixing compatibility issues. Mostly playing consoles got me spoiled in that regard.

Guess I'll just have to give it a try.

Might be even cooler though to use it with my USB version of the Competition Pro that came with an AMIGA emulation package I bought a while ago - would be the perfect controller for SMB! ;)

The Conveyer
11-26-2010, 08:07 AM
With all the walljumping, I'd think that a keyboard would work better with the game, you can more easily alternate between the two different directions. I suppose I'll just try and find out when the game's released.

This is how I feel. I think I'd actually enjoy it more with keyboard arrow keys. I come from growing up playing maplestory though, so as long as my right hand can control movement and left hand control action-orientated buttons, I'll be fine with keyboard.

Krackatoa
11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I play SFIV with a keyboard.

Trust me when I say platformers are nothing.

DragonTrainer
11-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I've beaten I wanna be the Guy with keyboard, so... I'll play SMB with keyboard.

Also, for absolutely all the platformers I've played (even emulated) I do it better with keyboard.

trojanpooh
11-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Also, for absolutely all the platformers I've played (even emulated) I do it better with keyboard.

That just seems so bizarre to me. Maybe its because I grew up a console gamer, but I cant even fathom trying to play a game like Super Meat Boy with a keyboard. I can hardly handle emulated Mario.

HateTheDrake
11-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree trojanpooh, just doesn't work as well for me on platformers. Fps's though are an entirely different beast where kb/mouse really shine.

Krackatoa
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
That just seems so bizarre to me. Maybe its because I grew up a console gamer, but I cant even fathom trying to play a game like Super Meat Boy with a keyboard. I can hardly handle emulated Mario.

In games where there's no analog movement, there's no reason for it to seem so outside of simple unfamiliarity. You have left and you have right. You don't need any more than that. A D-pad is the exact same thing, except instead of two fingers on two keys, you have a plastic nub attached to two keys and you can only use your thumb to move it.

HateTheDrake
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Just takes some time to re-train your fingers, which I don't want to do. (don't have time either) VVVVVV always felt a bit funky with kb, but it was certainly beatable. Well, I still do have one trinket to go....

Dunther
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Tried yesterday a demo on a 360 and I must say that this one should be played with a controller. The first Meat Boy didn't have a dash button, this one has it and I think would be a little complicated to play it with a keyboard...

Krackatoa
11-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Tried yesterday a demo on a 360 and I must say that this one should be played with a controller. The first Meat Boy didn't have a dash button, this one has it and I think would be a little complicated to play it with a keyboard...

Because you have to hold a button it's suddenly more complicated?

:\

GameRoom
11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I've played a lot of keyboard games so I'm equally comfortable with both.

DJ Cryotek
11-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Get a good 3rd party 360 pad like the Horipad EX2 (ie one with a good D-pad). It's a good investment as a PC gamer, as many games now come with *native* 360 controller support. No need to configure the controller, and you can run the game with the controller entirely once you start it- nice if you are sitting back, or playing on your HDTV etc.

nemesisfullhd
11-29-2010, 05:43 AM
I dont have a 360 controller but i have a gamepad of psone

will that pad work with smb?

Kitsunin
11-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Does it work with your PC?

If so, then if you have to you can use xpadder or something like that, whether or not SMB has native support.

HateTheDrake
11-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Any that supports direct input should work. Additional tweaks can probably be setup with xpadder or joytokey.

Dunther
11-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Because you have to hold a button it's suddenly more complicated?

:\

Not really, the main problem is that you need precision with that button too...I don't know, I think it's better with a gamepad.

Krackatoa
11-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Not really, the main problem is that you need precision with that button too...I don't know, I think it's better with a gamepad.

I find your lack of faith in basic human motor functions amusing.

Link-To-This
11-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Got to the last boss on i wanna be the guy with a keyboard.

Do that and You will feel right at home with super meat boy

deadlybydesign
11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Probably my Logitech Rumblepad 2. Platformers always feel more natural to me on a gamepad. That's why I owned a Gravis Gamepad 15 years ago.

Firetaffer
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't own a gamepad :((. From what people are saying I should get one to play this though. Does this game have analogue movement? As in if you move the joystick slightly the character walks?

Also I beat VVVVVV on the keyboard and it felt perfectly natural, but whatever :D.

DragonTrainer
11-29-2010, 01:18 PM

That's the point: I grew up as a PC gamer. In general I work in keyboard better than joystick in almost all games.
Just in case I have a controller, tough. I'll try it if I need.

Krackatoa
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't own a gamepad :((. From what people are saying I should get one to play this though. Does this game have analogue movement? As in if you move the joystick slightly the character walks?

Also I beat VVVVVV on the keyboard and it felt perfectly natural, but whatever :D.

No analog movement. Just a lot of people in this thread with twig fingers.

elixenie
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I just played the old Meat Boy for 20 minutes and my ring finger hurts. I went from loving the game to deciding it will probably just go to waste in my library.

The problem is that the feel of the control suggests analog to me, and I can't help pressing down harder when I need some extra motion, no matter how many times it doesn't work. But it seems like it does work!

Definitely getting an Xbox controller for this, but I'm afraid I'll injure myself while waiting for it to arrive.

Guat
11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Personally, ill play this using my SF4 TE arcade stick.

This game seems to have somewhat of the same vibe as 'Splosion Man, and that game played very well with a fighting stick.