PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing water pressure in portal 2?

Manquia
11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
This is just an interesting concept of using water (the behaviors specifically due to gravity) in puzzles. An example would be to crate a current or fountain by putting one portal lower in water than the other (can be in or out of the water) on something else and the depth of the water increases the pressure difference making a very interesting mechanic for floating object for a "froger" type puzzle. At the other extreme side you could add extreme cold to it and create (parabolic shaped) ice bridges out of the water!
I made a picture that is somewhat right (on the physics of it) on how this would work...
http://www.playdota.com/forums/343251/mode-new-players-pros-like-well/#post1851038
(Steam Forums don't support pics?)
P.S. does Valve ever look at these forums?

Francis_4_Dead
11-20-2010, 07:39 PM
There aren't really water in this game.

Though, the idea does sound nice.

Portal4
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I agree. It sounds like it would make a great game, but it just doesn't fit in with Portal.

ZeroPlus
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Actually, this sounds just like something that valve would develop for a (possible) portal 3. If we'd have asked any portal fan back then if there was a chance in heck of "repulsion gel" being added in a (possible) portal 2, they would've said that it "just doesn't fit in with Portal."

But first, we need to have water physics implemented in the source engine. I've never seen water as a working physical entity, subject to gravity, containers, pressure, etc, in any game so far.

ZeroPlus
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Also: think of the liquid excursion funnels / gels as the basic precursors to water physics.

(bump)

skinlo
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice idea, definitely won't be in Portal 2, but maybe Portal 4 or something. Real volumetric water requires a lot of processing power to do in real time, and we haven't quite got there yet.

Manquia
12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Hey, i just wanted to update this by say that the technoloy exists and if you could simplify the simulation, would that still be too much of a strain of the processor. interesting fluid simulation with Ambient Occlusion : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXntA-9V3I&feature=related

youknow
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
That simulation probably took many hours to calculate and simplifying it would turn it into something that doesn't resemble liquid at all. The only dynamic water simulation I've seen was 2D, laggy in large amounts, and didn't even resemble water on a small scale.