PDA

View Full Version : The best car ever! (achievement)

Guhndahb
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello. I'm getting exceedingly frustrated trying to get this achievement. I've gotten all the other Slaughter mode achievements, but I cannot seem to survive long enough to get this one. I've read general Slaughter mode tip threads, such as this one (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243558) but I seem to have peaked as far as my skill at Slaughter mode, which I don't particularly like compared to the others anyways as it seems too luck based (the drops order makes a big difference, at least for me). I stopped improving a day ago. I can only get to about level 15 on Trainstation, and level 20 on Harbour. Considering this achievement isn't all that uncommon, I feel like I must be doing something wrong!

Since upgrades are based on level, I would assume raising the level as fast as possible is key. Is Slaughter level strictly points based? Should I play it as if I were going for score or should I care less about combos?

(By the way, might there be a bug in Harbour? Sometimes when I start hitting the high teens and supposedly get an award, it doesn't show up even if I check all the points manually.)

Thank you.

Ferdyzor
11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
You don't need to worry about points. Only the number of waves survived is important.

There are 9 car upgrades and 15 weapon upgrades. You get one upgrade after every wave that you survive.

You shouldn't do it fast and you shouldn't take any risks.

Khalistro
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
All I can add is to take as little risk as possible, keep driving at all times, albeit slowly sometimes, and try not to get "stuck" in dead ends....

I think I got this achievement on the first level of Slaughter, just take any level you're comfortable with and practice, practice and practice some more...

Oh, the ease of Slaughter also depends on the type of car you are using, myself I prefer the military prototype super car.

Guhndahb
11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I'd like to be clear on something, though. What exactly triggers successive waves? I agree that the most important thing (for this achievement) is avoiding damage while advancing the waves as quickly as possible, but I'm a little unclear on how the waves work. For example, Formalpig said in that thread I linked that it was purely the number of zombies killed, but there have been times where I got two successive waves in an exceedingly short amount of time, leading me to think it's more complicated than that. If it is purely zombie numbers, does the type of zombie have any bearing? Or how they are killed?

Is the choice between a car upgrade and a weapon upgrade spawning purely random?

Also, according to those numbers, am I correct in that I'd be guaranteed the achievement if I were to survive to the 25th wave and pickup all upgrades during that time. (If it's random I realize I may not need to make it to 25, I'm just talking worst case scenario here.)

And, indeed, my preference is for the super car as well - I've tried them all. Thanks again.

Ferdyzor
11-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Only the number of killed zombies affects waves, but some waves are shorter than the others.
Upgrade spawning is almost random ;)
First few upgrades are always weapons, then it is really random.
Yes, you need to survive 24 waves to get everything.

Guhndahb
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks again. Knowing exactly what I'm shooting for will help a bunch.

Edit: First try after those tips did the job. Knowing I was going for # of kills and ignoring combo, etc. made a big difference. I got the achievement on wave 22 on Harbour. I died 3 seconds later hunting for that elusive repair! :D