PDA

View Full Version : Civ V Mac Nightmare

jont107
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
This is probably one of the most stressful things I've done in a while. I've got a brand new, top spec 17" MBP. I've been looking forward to the Mac release since the PC game got announced. Despite trawling the net regularly, including the official sources, the only way I seemed to be able to find a release date was an unquoted source on Wiki that turned out to be correct. The day it came out I bought the game and then spent about 4 hours trying to download Steam. There seem to be massively widespread problems with it judging by the forums, but no official answer and Steam seem to just ignore everyone's emails and forum posts- similar to how everyone on here was ignored when asking for the Mac release date. I eventually found an updated copy of Steam that someone had uploaded and got it working. I downloaded the game and installed it today. The game would not run, and kept telling me I needed Steam (which is what I was using to launch it). More trawling the forums to find out that this is also a common problem which people's requests for help with are being ignored. The best advice anyone could offer was that someone had reinstalled Steam and it had worked.
I now have the game installed and working, and it's an absolute farce. I've wasted about an hour trying to get it going and to be honest I don' know if I can be bothered any more. None of the intro videos want to play. When I meet a new Civ, almost every time the video starts playing it just freezes out my computer with no way of force closing the game. This is if the game hasn't already force closed itself by the time I get this far. To be honest, it's probably just as well I've downloaded it because otherwise I'd probably have beaten somebody to death with it.

11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I have seen this kind of business strategy before when Eric Cartman bought a theme park.

You cant play this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BaronSengir
12-15-2010, 01:18 AM
This is probably one of the most stressful things I've done in a while. I've got a brand new, top spec 17" MBP. I've been looking forward to the Mac release since the PC game got announced. Despite trawling the net regularly, including the official sources, the only way I seemed to be able to find a release date was an unquoted source on Wiki that turned out to be correct. The day it came out I bought the game and then spent about 4 hours trying to download Steam. There seem to be massively widespread problems with it judging by the forums, but no official answer and Steam seem to just ignore everyone's emails and forum posts- similar to how everyone on here was ignored when asking for the Mac release date. I eventually found an updated copy of Steam that someone had uploaded and got it working. I downloaded the game and installed it today. The game would not run, and kept telling me I needed Steam (which is what I was using to launch it). More trawling the forums to find out that this is also a common problem which people's requests for help with are being ignored. The best advice anyone could offer was that someone had reinstalled Steam and it had worked.
I now have the game installed and working, and it's an absolute farce. I've wasted about an hour trying to get it going and to be honest I don' know if I can be bothered any more. None of the intro videos want to play. When I meet a new Civ, almost every time the video starts playing it just freezes out my computer with no way of force closing the game. This is if the game hasn't already force closed itself by the time I get this far. To be honest, it's probably just as well I've downloaded it because otherwise I'd probably have beaten somebody to death with it.

Buy a PC then. You can also save a lot of money doing so. And steam and games work. And better that is because your hardware is far more powerful for less the prize.

1kool
12-15-2010, 05:12 AM
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SID MEIR GAME EVER...I SWEAR ON EVERYTHING. I HAVE BEEN THRU THE WORST BULL-CRAP SINCE DRIVING 2HRS WITH GAS AT $2.90 A GALLON TO THE ONLY APPLE STORE THAT HAD THE DAMN GAME NEAR DETROIT. THEN RUSHIING BACK TO THE HOUSE ONLY TO NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME DUE TO VIDEO ISSUES, THEN I DOWNLOAD OS X 10.6.5, AND THE CRASHES JUST AS I AM ABOUT TO GAIN A DIPLOMATIC VICTORY. I GET SPINNED FOR 3 DAYS BY ASPYR WITH LONGER THAN USUAL WAIT TIMES, NON RESPONSES TO NUMEROUS COMPLAINT TICKETS, AND AFTER FINALLY TALKING TO A HUMAN BEING AT ASPYR, HE HAS ME EMAIL HIME MY ACTUAL SAVED GAME FILE YESTERDAY IN THE MORNING, THEIR ON CENTRAL TIME, LOL, AND SINCE I HAVENT EVEN HEARD A REPLY EITHER WAY. MY DAMN GAME HAS FROZEN ALMOST EVERY OTHER TURN, AND IT FINALLY DECIDED TO CRASH ON TURN 274. TOTAL BULLSH^T. I WANT MY MONEY BACK. PLEASE SOME1 EXPLAIN HOW TO RETURN THIS F@G GAME FOR MY MONEY!!!