PDA

View Full Version : Another flop? READ INSIDE:

EADICEMOH
11-26-2010, 06:41 AM
With the massive failure of Medal of Honor, we all know huge games are getting pumped out every year by a production crew of monkeys weilding spanners. BRINK appears, by default, to evade this madness by introducing blurred lines between single and multi player. The game is further dumbed down by adding what everyone has always wanted but never admitted, a win button. The SMART button dynamically evaluates where you’re trying to get to, and makes it happen. It has only taken five years for this to happen.
Bethesda isn't known for its spotless games and this will surely have bugs with the so many things you can leap over and jump through while shooting guys.
On the steam page it says Context-Sensitive Goals and Rewards I can read between the lines... what it really tells us is that the game will give you the options IT wants to give you WHEN it wants to give them, taking control away for the player. Don't worry though, just press the win button.
Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Creamer^
11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
To be honest, your post should be linked to at the urban dictionary definition of trolling lol.

I mean, how can you judge a game when you've not played it? And how can you criticise a game function when you admit yourself you're guessing about it?

Put it this way, if the game does have a win button, pressing it wouldn't reveal a link to your post. ;D

derpburp
11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Bethesda is only publishing it, Splash Damage is developing it. So look at other SD games and see whether or not if they are free of bugs or glitches when they were released.

Quint
11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Bethesda,Bethesda,Bethesda...

when did Bethesda ever have any idea about making a multiplayer FPS game anyway people?Their only games are RPG based only.It would be a miracle if they ever come up with a MP game with new concepts like SD.

Plus look at the OP's name people.We got a EA fanboy here.

Draps
11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Um its mostly done but splash damage by the way folks Bethesda is just doing all the advertising and support.

Splash damage is imo the best at releasing a game with little bugs. and to add to this in the information they have release they actually finished making the game 5 months ago, they have been rigorously testing and balancing the game. i've got this feeling that it will be the best game of 2011 in terms of communities as they have built it for each console individually, one for PC, one for Xbox360, one for PS3. and no ports from either.

qazxswplmnko
11-27-2010, 12:44 AM
If you don't like the win button, don't use it. Simple as that.

smashr
11-27-2010, 02:28 AM
With the massive failure of Medal of Honor, we all know huge games are getting pumped out every year by a production crew of monkeys weilding spanners. BRINK appears, by default, to evade this madness by introducing blurred lines between single and multi player. The game is further dumbed down by adding what everyone has always wanted but never admitted, a win button. The SMART button It has only taken five years for this to happen.
Bethesda isn't known for its spotless games and this will surely have bugs with the so many things you can leap over and jump through while shooting guys.
On the steam page it says I can read between the lines... what it really tells us is that the game will give you the options IT wants to give you WHEN it wants to give them, taking control away for the player. Don't worry though, just press the win button.

Just wait for the game before bashing on them like that, the smart button is a nice addition, and like all innovative features it will have defaults, let's just see how it turns out first (with a demo for exemple).

dazman76
11-27-2010, 10:09 AM

I think I just saw "the point(tm)" flying over your head. Either you're bored and trolling, or you've completely missed the point of everything you mentioned in your post.

ZernoK
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
A guy that read a few lines about the game and starts bashing it.
I'd suggest to read more up on the game next time..

chevydriver1123
11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
When the game comes out or there is a beta that actually exposes it to massive amounts of gamers, then come back and complain.

Smertnik
11-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Hold off your judgments until the game actually comes out.

And it's developed by Splash Damage, not Bethesda.

Knights
11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Seems like everyone is a gifted critic and know everything about everything. I really hate people like EADICEMOH, they post crap like this judging a game already that's not even out. And if the game isn't PERFECT in their eyes it's the biggest steamy pile of crap to them and they have to express their hatred toward it in thread posts.... Get a life dude...

laazrockit
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Your posts loses all credibility when it is based off of bashing bethseda who don't even make this game.

Trodamus
12-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

1) The SMART button is your "I want to interact with the environment" button. It combines the functionality of the crouch, sprint and jump buttons to make it so your character can vault, slide or climb over obstacles. The devs have said that running, jumping and crouching will still be in the game, and anything you do in SMART can be done manually with these controls. Given this, anything you do manually will get at least as good a result as SMART, if not better, depending upon the situation.

So SMART is a way of making sure all players are capable of traversing the environment, but skilled players will still have an advantage.

2) Context-based objectives means you get objectives based upon the current situation. The simplest I can put this is that you'll receive an objective to destroy an enemy player's sentry gun once they create one. Many of these objectives will have you facing off against individual members of the other team, in addition to the level's overall objectives or your standard support objectives (command posts, etc.).

So the game isn't "deciding what to give you, when." Every gameplay video has featured an objective wheel that typically has 6+ missions you can choose from and complete, which of course doesn't stop you from just manning the front lines and mowing people down.

And as it has been said, Bethesda is the publisher, Splash Damage, a great great great great developer, is making the game.

scorpio0666
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Bethesda makes great games just not know for MP.

laazrockit
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Splash Damage, a great great great great developer, is making the game.
Well as long as we don't count quake wars :D

priest22
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Well as long as we don't count quake wars :D

Quake Wars was awesome :S

DoHO_
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Uhhhh, what?

Either you're trolling or you honestly don't understand this game at all.

1) The SMART system is about a more fluid interaction with the environment. As in, instead of stopping to jump [space bar] up onto a box you run and jump/climb up like you would in real life. It also fixes that issue HUNDREDS of games have where your soldier/warrior/super soldier character can't jump over a 4 ft high wall when pretty much anyone could.

2) The "context sensitive" goals and rewards are not "what the game wants you to do" but about rewarding, re-rewarding, and helping to buff losing teams so that the game is more enjoyable for everyone. It's about trying to make sure everyone contributes to the winning of a match and making sure that if a player is playing, they feel like they're doing something useful.

Friendliest
12-02-2010, 05:47 AM
On the steam page it says I can read between the lines... what it really tells us is that the game will give you the options IT wants to give you WHEN it wants to give them, taking control away for the player. Don't worry though, just press the win button.
Sorry to burst your bubbles.Well, if he's trolling, there sure are a lot of anti-trolls around... (and I don't mean that in a flattering way. Just a lot of ppl who will do the opposite: vouch for a game they've never played before without any solid evidence that it will be good! The way trends are going in game design for the last 10 years or so, I find OP's fears to be all too realistic.

Bethesda is only publishing it, Splash Damage is developing it. So look at other SD games and see whether or not if they are free of bugs or glitches when they were released.I lol'ed.

Well as long as we don't count quake wars :DAnd then, again, I lol'ed! Quake wars could have been the game of the last 2 centuries, if it wasn't for a few major f-ups I won't even delve into. :| Don't remind me. :(

Trodamus
12-02-2010, 07:00 AM
BRINK is quake wars under a new, in-house IP and polished to allgetout.

ET:QW was a good game, just not one that saw mainstream success due to the above-mentioned effups.

ZernoK
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
And then, again, I lol'ed! Quake wars could have been the game of the last 2 centuries, if it wasn't for a few major f-ups I won't even delve into. :| Don't remind me. :(

I blame Activision :D

eightohfive
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM

You do realize the SMART button is only a movement related thing? In that it will automatically make you either slide under railings, or jump over them, or do other little parkour moves. The idea is that if the action itself is automated then you can really make a diverse and complicated arena without having to worry about the player spamming spacebar and control to get around every little prop. You make it sound like it will drop a nuke and give you an insta-win...lol. Also everyone can use the SMART button, so how can it be the WIN button if both sides can use it and one of them HAS to lose?

I'll admit that I don't know much beyond a few short developer talk videos, and you admitted as much yourself, so why not just avoid making any serious judgments until the game is able to be reviewed more properly...at least get a better basis than 2 sentences quoted from the Steam store page.

dazman76
12-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Well, if he's trolling, there sure are a lot of anti-trolls around... (and I don't mean that in a flattering way. Just a lot of ppl who will do the opposite: vouch for a game they've never played before without any solid evidence that it will be good! The way trends are going in game design for the last 10 years or so, I find OP's fears to be all too realistic.

Actually, most replies were pointing out the fact that the OP was making *assumptions* based on things he'd read, and frankly misunderstood. Nobody has said "duh shut up it's going to be awesome guaranteed", since that argument is almost as pointless as the OP :) People are entitled to their opinions, but when they claim to have made discoveries that everyone else seemingly overlooked, then back them up with complete tosh - well, opposing replies are pretty much a given, no? :)

And then, again, I lol'ed! Quake wars could have been the game of the last 2 centuries, if it wasn't for a few major f-ups I won't even delve into. :| Don't remind me. :(

Most of which seemed to be caused by ActiBlizzard(tm). They essentially pulled all funding and told SD "if you update this, you do it with your own money" - as I recall, that was pretty soon after the poorly-marketed and half-arsed release, which led to small player numbers right from the start. ActiBlizzard have a lot to answer for there...

SD will have made the best game they can, and there's no point judging it based on current trends in the market. They make games that differ from the norm - whether BRINK is good and actually succeeds, we'll have to wait and see :) As long as it's no ♥♥♥♥ty CoD clone (and I'm pretty sure it won't be), I'll be giving it the benefit of the doubt at least. I'm disappointed by most games I buy, but I'm hoping BRINK will be different :)

neuromancer
12-06-2010, 10:07 AM
With the massive failure of Medal of Honor, we all know huge games are getting pumped out every year by a production crew of monkeys weilding spanners. BRINK appears, by default, to evade this madness by introducing blurred lines between single and multi player. The game is further dumbed down by adding what everyone has always wanted but never admitted, a win button. The SMART button It has only taken five years for this to happen.

You spelled wielding wrong.

NICK-THE-CAJUN
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
You spelled wielding wrong.

If you talk like this on the internet, then you are stupid, even though you are trying to help, no one really cares about spelling on the internet, I am in administrator is a few CSS servers, and when some guy says "you spelled it wrong" I always say "no one gives a ♥♥♥♥ about spelling on the internet". Not to be mean but spelling doesn't matter on the internet. Also flame wars over grammar and spelling look completely stupid on the internet anyway.

Now back to BRINK, I hope this game will come out successful, and that Splash Damage gets the success and the large community they deserve. I am so mad to see Quake Wars servers full of bots or completely empty, which is happening to other games I play on such as Team Fortress Classic or Day of Defeat 1.3 which are games twice the age of Quake Wars. Sadly Quake Wars was released at the completely wrong time that caused it to not get as much press time. I wish Splash Damage all the best being a fan of both Enemy Territory games. I also hope they have had enough time trying to make this game work well and I hope they get noticed enough by the press too. Also the demo for this game at Quakecon was sick.

neuromancer
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
If you talk like this on the internet, then you are stupid, even though you are trying to help, no one really cares about spelling on the internet, I am in administrator is a few CSS servers, and when some guy says "you spelled it wrong" I always say "no one gives a ♥♥♥♥ about spelling on the internet". Not to be mean but spelling doesn't matter on the internet. Also flame wars over grammar and spelling look completely stupid on the internet anyway.

/facepalm

Your sarcasm detector is busted dude...

Trodamus
12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I really have to thank OP, this forum was dead for like a month before he came on with his vitriolic nonsense.

-B.A.Frayd-
12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Although I am willing to wait and see how the smart button plays out in the game before passing final judgment, there can be no doubt that it's invention is surely the result of the limitations of console controllers, and hence, another example of console-first development imposing itself on PC gaming.

Just for the record, navigating the environment effectively in a shooter is half the battle, and one that takes skill and coordination. Having one button to essentially do this for you doesn't seem like a mechanic that would reward skill, but we'll see.

Trodamus
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Much of their intent with Brink is to bring new and unskilled players up a bit in terms of how much they can do, while still presenting a system that benefits skilled, veteran players.

With this, SMART allows these players to navigate the environment as is required to experience BRINK, but veteran players can do everything SMART does manually to greater benefit.

laazrockit
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Although I am willing to wait and see how the smart button plays out in the game before passing final judgment, there can be no doubt that it's invention is surely the result of the limitations of console controllers, and hence, another example of console-first development imposing itself on PC gaming.

Just for the record, navigating the environment effectively in a shooter is half the battle, and one that takes skill and coordination. Having one button to essentially do this for you doesn't seem like a mechanic that would reward skill, but we'll see.

Anything you can do with the smart button you can do manually, the smart button can just automate these parkour moves to make it easier, its designed so newer players have a chance. I am sure the moves will have a skill ceiling that more advanced players can take advantage of.

Tsuchirinhon
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I am in administrator is a few CSS servers

Hahahahahadahsd.

Overt.Enemy
12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Bethesda is only publishing it, Splash Damage is developing it. So look at other SD games and see whether or not if they are free of bugs or glitches when they were released.

Mkay, couple things:

1. NO GAME is "free of bugs".
2. While past SD games may seem like an indication of how well they're coded it's just a correlation; for all you know the personnel at the company could be totally different and current games could have more (or less) bugs then past games. Making past games developed by SD - not much of an indication of this game.

-B.A.Frayd-
12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Anything you can do with the smart button you can do manually, the smart button can just automate these parkour moves to make it easier, its designed so newer players have a chance. I am sure the moves will have a skill ceiling that more advanced players can take advantage of.

From what I have watched of the developers videos, I don't recall any mention of a "skill ceiling". There very well could be one though.

As for giving new players a chance, whatever happened to learning and developing skill? Besides, since this is a brand new franchise, isn't everyone going to be a "new" player?:;)

fr0y0
12-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Why has this thread even reached 3 pages?

...And why am I taking the time to reply to it?

Either way, 3/10 Troll.

DoHO_
12-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Just for the record, navigating the environment effectively in a shooter is half the battle, and one that takes skill and coordination. Having one button to essentially do this for you doesn't seem like a mechanic that would reward skill, but we'll see.See the way I viewed the smart button was this:

Lets say you have 6 crates that form stairs (3, then 2 then 1), normally we'd have to run up to the bottom layer of crates and either stop, then hit [spacebar] + [w] or perhaps [spacebar] + [w] + [ctrl] (or [c]) to do a crouch jump for each crate. It would be the same on a console. Push forward with the thumbstick and press jump, or click to to a crouch jump, until you've tediously climbed all 3 crates.

The SMART system just gives you another button so that this can be done fluidly and look pretty awesome to anyone watching, so that instead of stopping and performing a ridiculous crouch jump (nothing more than an acceptable exploit of [or now-a-days built in] game mechanics) you can still do what you always did, but now it looks pretty cool doing it. Now, climbing things seems to be the only real example of where the SMART system "replaces" (since it's not really replacing, just enhancing) what we already do. Wall hopping, crouch-sliding, vaulting over objects make movement more fluid. Vaulting over objects can also be seen like walking up to a short wall and hitting [spacebar] + [w], instead now you get to vault over it. You're still doing the same action. It's like how bunny-hopping use to be a tactic people needed to learn for the extra edge, and developers instead add a sprint button.

It's not about consoles imposing on anything since movement is more of less the same (as least in terms of the actions we're performing). The system will benefit both platforms, and as far as I can tell the SMART system answers and responds to some basic issues I have personally had with games: namely, why can't I jump/run/crouch/crawl etc over or under things that I could easily do in real life.

In short: it's not about replacing an existing system or making it easier, it's just about enhancing it. instead of these blocky manouvers you're now doing the same thing, only fluidly.

-B.A.Frayd-
12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
In short: it's not about replacing an existing system or making it easier, it's just about enhancing it. instead of these blocky manouvers you're now doing the same thing, only fluidly.

I couldn't disagree more. Replacing a series of well timed keyboard maneuvers with one push of a single key can only be viewed as "making it easier". It's the very definition of "making it easier".

Also, something like say, "jump-crouching" is a skill that is developed through practice. Good players develop skills that give them an advantage over less capable players, and are rewarded for those skills with more kills/ higher scores. You put in the time, you hone a skill-set, and then you win. This is the very essence of competition.

Now, I'm not saying that this is necessarily how this smart mechanic will play out, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. Like I said before, I'm willing to hold off judgment until we are actually able to play the game.

Creamer^
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Also, something like say, "jump-crouching" is a skill that is developed through practice. Good players develop skills that give them an advantage over less capable players, and are rewarded for those skills with more kills/ higher scores. You put in the time, you hone a skill-set, and then you win. This is the very essence of competition.

I just don't agree with that. Crouch jumping is one of the easiest and most mechanistic routines in first person shooters. In say TF2, it has a greater skill related to it due to its role in boosting, but a huge number of players in that game and CS just bind crouch jump anyway. It's a simplistic way of negotiating objects and changing level - nothing more than a chore that everyone has to do.

The idea of introducing parkour movement and using a smart button is an innovative one, in my opinion. It could fundamentally change the way we move in first person shooters, something that hasn't really been attempted or achieved successfully as of yet.

Sharkie
12-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Call me mad....
It could be a waste of time....
But I have decided to install Mirrors Edge to maybe get a head start on the parkour mentality & skill.
From watching vids of the 2 games they could be similar...it wont hurt to try.

Tikuto
12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
your post should be linked to at the urban dictionary definition of trolling lol.

Agreed.

Darkunov
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

1) The SMART button is your "I want to interact with the environment" button. It combines the functionality of the crouch, sprint and jump buttons to make it so your character can vault, slide or climb over obstacles. The devs have said that running, jumping and crouching will still be in the game, and anything you do in SMART can be done manually with these controls. Given this, anything you do manually will get at least as good a result as SMART, if not better, depending upon the situation.

So SMART is a way of making sure all players are capable of traversing the environment, but skilled players will still have an advantage.

2) Context-based objectives means you get objectives based upon the current situation. The simplest I can put this is that you'll receive an objective to destroy an enemy player's sentry gun once they create one. Many of these objectives will have you facing off against individual members of the other team, in addition to the level's overall objectives or your standard support objectives (command posts, etc.).

So the game isn't "deciding what to give you, when." Every gameplay video has featured an objective wheel that typically has 6+ missions you can choose from and complete, which of course doesn't stop you from just manning the front lines and mowing people down.

And as it has been said, Bethesda is the publisher, Splash Damage, a great great great great developer, is making the game.

It is 6 objctives (not more), and after watching container city part 1-2-3, it looks like there's always an objective to "destroy the gate" for example, maening if you want to just kill ppl then you get that objective and gain even more xp, rather than choosing another, random one.

Darkunov
12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Call me mad....
But I have decided to install Mirrors Edge to maybe get a head start on the parkour mentality & skill.

Not completely certain it would help you that much, since Mirror's Edge helps you by coloring almost everything you can interact with in red, while there's no such thing in Brink. Also, Brink has obviously more complex maps (as opposed to ME which are only blank rooftops with red objects).

Happy Zanda
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Since when has a game ever forced you to do objectives?
Stopping you from progressing if you don't do them, sure, but you're never forced to do anything - especially in multiplayer, where you can just sit in spawn Sniper-humping and hoping your team pushes the cart for you XD

XNitrousX
12-19-2010, 05:20 PM

I'd have agreed if they didn't show how the SMART system actually works in the train station.

Grant it, don't expect to climb a fifty-foot wall just by running at it, jumping, and attempting to run strait up. But what was shown in that one video was a guy who slid whenever he wanted, vaulted when an object provided that ability (don't expect to vault over nothing after all), and even kick off walls to gain height.

Doesn't sound like a quick-time event if that's what you were thinking.

Call me mad....

Well like the section just above your quote, Mirror's Edge while it's more similar to Brink than any other run of the mill FPS; the issue is Mirror's Edge is specifically designed for you. Guides and spots you must reach in order to achieve your objective (story wise). What we see in Brink is full on freedom of the SMART mechanic. Mirror's Edge isn't bad and it is a good idea just to understand how disorienting you might get if you've never played such a visceral game before in the event that you, whoever it may concern, can get motion sickness easily.

Spencer_Ruler
12-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Wow, nice try to start a flame war.

It's weird, though. When you mentioned the s.m.a.r.t. being like a win button, I agreed, in the sense that if you don't use that mechanic and simply play it like a regular shooter, you wouldn't win. But I guess that's not what you meant.

Nice troll attempt, though.

scorpio0666
01-04-2011, 07:13 AM
OP=Flop

Kytsata2
01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Wow you're such an idiot. Bethesda is the publisher. LOL. Splash Damage is making it. Splash Damage have made some really amazing games so far, so this is most likely going to be a revolutionary game. Sorry to burst your little troll bubble.

Kytsata2
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Bethesda,Bethesda,Bethesda...

when did Bethesda ever have any idea about making a multiplayer FPS game anyway people?Their only games are RPG based only.It would be a miracle if they ever come up with a MP game with new concepts like SD.

Plus look at the OP's name people.We got a EA Hammer Legion Member here.

Like all the other people are saying. Bethesda is PUBLISHING it. Splash Damage is making it. And they have been making epic games. Did you know that they could have come out with this game a year ago, but instead spent another year merely BALANCING it?? Talk about proffessional company! No more fail OP skills/tactics like in MW2. This game is going to be sooo epic.

FrontlinerDelta
01-07-2011, 12:09 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Replacing a series of well timed keyboard maneuvers with one push of a single key can only be viewed as "making it easier". It's the very definition of "making it easier".

Now, I'm not saying that this is necessarily how this smart mechanic will play out, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. Like I said before, I'm willing to hold off judgment until we are actually able to play the game.

Hmm well I would say that the inclusion of the smart button replaces choppy controls from previous shooters. For example in BC2 if you want to jump over an obstacle, your character actually does a slow jump over it, needlessly increasing his profile and slowing movement. In Brink (and CoD in this one case) hitting spacebar/smart button will make your character fluidly vault over it in a far more realistice manner.

Secondly, you guys are just mentioning simple movement. I believe that most likely I'll end up using normal jump and crouch for simple maneuvers still but there are few FPS games out there that let you jump up, grab a ledge, pull yourself up or climb onto a railing, vault over to a low-hanging pipe and haul yourself up. Or slide underneath an obstacle that would normally require a slow crouch walk through.

So in my view and from what I understand from commentary videos is they are really trying to avoid it being some "I win" feature but instead make it a strategic that smart players will use to their advantage. Remember the airport trailer, aiming also influences what you'll do and YOU as the player still have choices to make, is it better to get up top and go over the obstacle or slide under it? This opens up tons of new movement options and allows for mobile but still grounded (ie not old arcade/halo jump 1000 feet) shooter. It's fancy but not jump button happy.

One more point to my rant. :p
I think that the smart system will actually make the game more challenging as it will free up players to focus more on the shooting, team play, and overall strategy instead of being frustrated by getting stuck on an object that should be easily be jumped.

dazman76
01-07-2011, 04:33 AM
I still disagree with these claims of SMART being STUPID :) Really, you need to think about the whole thing at a deeper level, rather than just seeing it as dumbing down for consoles.

Firstly, "crouch jumping" is something found in HL2 engine games - that's it. It's not special, it's not hard, and knowing how to do it doesn't somehow mean you've mastered FPS gaming techniques. You press crouch and jump for christ's sake! TF2 does not define FPS gaming, regardless of it's popularity. SD games cast such a giant shadow over HL2-based multiplayer games - so much more depth it's almost not worth comparing them :) TF2 is like Tomy's My First FPS Game(tm) compared to Wolf:ET, ET:QW or BRINK...

A big point being missed with this "navigation should be challenging" perspective, is that SMART makes the environment more traversable. In games where either crouch jumping or strafe jumping are required to navigate, this only allows access to areas that require "long jumps". Again, there is no complication here whatsoever - both techniques allow longer jumps, and there is nothing more to it than that. They don't, for example, let you climb that wall that's chest-high and doesn't have any lower areas within long-jump range. Would you have this problem in real life? Of course not - a chest-high wall is only challenging for overweight and/or unfit people, and should never be an obstacle in a game for this reason.

Also, if you choose NOT to use SMART, and some "crappy FPS player" decides he's going to - what do you lose exactly? You somehow think that giving him one keypress to climb a wall is going to turn him into an unstoppable force of WTFpwnage? :) I can't see it myself - I'm sure you'll be waiting at the top of that wall to tech him a lesson, or indeed climbing a different wall to flank and surprise him, because you're a better player.

Anyway, a couple of months and all of this theorycrafting and assumption will be pointless - the game will be available, and I'm pretty sure most of us will be having a great time playing it :)

FrontlinerDelta
01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I still disagree with these claims of SMART being STUPID :) Really, you need to think about the whole thing at a deeper level, rather than just seeing it as dumbing down for consoles.

Firstly, "crouch jumping" is something found in HL2 engine games - that's it. It's not special, it's not hard, and knowing how to do it doesn't somehow mean you've mastered FPS gaming techniques. You press crouch and jump for christ's sake! TF2 does not define FPS gaming, regardless of it's popularity. SD games cast such a giant shadow over HL2-based multiplayer games - so much more depth it's almost not worth comparing them :) TF2 is like Tomy's My First FPS Game(tm) compared to Wolf:ET, ET:QW or BRINK...

A big point being missed with this "navigation should be challenging" perspective, is that SMART makes the environment more traversable. In games where either crouch jumping or strafe jumping are required to navigate, this only allows access to areas that require "long jumps". Again, there is no complication here whatsoever - both techniques allow longer jumps, and there is nothing more to it than that. They don't, for example, let you climb that wall that's chest-high and doesn't have any lower areas within long-jump range. Would you have this problem in real life? Of course not - a chest-high wall is only challenging for overweight and/or unfit people, and should never be an obstacle in a game for this reason.

Also, if you choose NOT to use SMART, and some "crappy FPS player" decides he's going to - what do you lose exactly? You somehow think that giving him one keypress to climb a wall is going to turn him into an unstoppable force of WTFpwnage? :) I can't see it myself - I'm sure you'll be waiting at the top of that wall to tech him a lesson, or indeed climbing a different wall to flank and surprise him, because you're a better player.

Anyway, a couple of months and all of this theorycrafting and assumption will be pointless - the game will be available, and I'm pretty sure most of us will be having a great time playing it :)

Exactly my thoughts! :D

Skulldrunky
01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I suggest everyone read all 4 parts of this Brink Compendium, its pretty much every tidbit of leaked information given by the devs in every interview they have been in + analysis of the videos.

basically a big feature database.

http://www.fragworld.org/frag/community-blogs/brink-info-pt-1-story-gameplay-smart-classes-and-objectives.html

BipolarPanda
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM

There is no win button, it's a cover/jump button with a little flair. How do you compare a Splash Damage game to a DICE game?
And you haven't done any research beyond the videos if you think that this is a bethesda game.

Darksider1972
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Hmm well I would say that the inclusion of the smart button replaces choppy controls from previous shooters. For example in BC2 if you want to jump over an obstacle, your character actually does a slow jump over it, needlessly increasing his profile and slowing movement. In Brink (and CoD in this one case) hitting spacebar/smart button will make your character fluidly vault over it in a far more realistice manner.

Secondly, you guys are just mentioning simple movement. I believe that most likely I'll end up using normal jump and crouch for simple maneuvers still but there are few FPS games out there that let you jump up, grab a ledge, pull yourself up or climb onto a railing, vault over to a low-hanging pipe and haul yourself up. Or slide underneath an obstacle that would normally require a slow crouch walk through.

So in my view and from what I understand from commentary videos is they are really trying to avoid it being some "I win" feature but instead make it a strategic that smart players will use to their advantage. Remember the airport trailer, aiming also influences what you'll do and YOU as the player still have choices to make, is it better to get up top and go over the obstacle or slide under it? This opens up tons of new movement options and allows for mobile but still grounded (ie not old arcade/halo jump 1000 feet) shooter. It's fancy but not jump button happy.

One more point to my rant. :p
I think that the smart system will actually make the game more challenging as it will free up players to focus more on the shooting, team play, and overall strategy instead of being frustrated by getting stuck on an object that should be easily be jumped.

Already been stated, there is separate button for SMART, You still have your standard crouch, strafe, run, jump buttons along with the SMART button in Brink.

FrontlinerDelta
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Already been stated, there is separate button for SMART, You still have your standard crouch, strafe, run, jump buttons along with the SMART button in Brink.

Yes, that's what I was trying to tell these people who seem to think Smart button = Win button.

Go look at Dead Space 2 multiplayer. It's quite fun except for the fact that the humans have stasis. Which is an AoE I Win button essentially as it makes the Necro player completely unable to do anything.

THAT'S an "I Win" button. SMART will only ever help you with movement, never with actually doing somehting like killing other players or slowing them down.

Also, all players across both teams will have access to this, so even if it is powerful (which I suspect it will be) it will still be available to everyone.

Regardless though, nobody really knows until we actually get our hands on it.

Darksider1972
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes, that's what I was trying to tell these people who seem to think Smart button = Win button.

Go look at Dead Space 2 multiplayer. It's quite fun except for the fact that the humans have stasis. Which is an AoE I Win button essentially as it makes the Necro player completely unable to do anything.

THAT'S an "I Win" button. SMART will only ever help you with movement, never with actually doing somehting like killing other players or slowing them down.

Also, all players across both teams will have access to this, so even if it is powerful (which I suspect it will be) it will still be available to everyone.

Regardless though, nobody really knows until we actually get our hands on it.

Ah I see, Nevermind what I said, I thought you meant otherwise, But for those who cannot get their head around the SMART button this picture sums it up best as to what is feasible in BRINK that no other FPS game cannot seem to do.. Definitely not a WIN button but more like the FREEDOM button a lot of us been wanting in a FPS game! The freedom to jump over inanimate objects or slide under them or wall hop, etc!!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/xH0RSEx/Brink/BRINK_diagram.png

jnathus
02-12-2011, 12:32 AM
I really hate the "win" button connotation. What do I win? Instant kills because I vaulted something? I have no clue what the OP was trying to accomplish except troll.

As I was playing MW2 tonight there are places where I'm like: "I could get there... the controls should work . . . " but they don't. Ex: some dumpsters can be climbed if they are strategically placed... others cannot. It's like you cannot use the map in any way the developers didn't originally intend / foresee. I think what the Smart button will do is allow for the environments in Brink to feel more open / fluid. That is my hope.

Someone mentioned trying Mirror's Edge to get a 'feel' for what Brink will be like. Brink will feel easier by comparison (on the free running perspective) because Mirror's Edge is VERY punishing on timing with differences based on sustained speed / momentum. When you don't 'get' it, you feel stupid playing it. When you do, the world is this incredible rollar coaster. As Brink focuses on the shooting / objective portion of the game, it does make sense to minimize the free running to something more easily accomplished. I do have questions about a sense of player involvement, but we'll see how that goes.

AwayToHit
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I smell Brink to be the best MP game ever made (i hope :D)

Darkunov
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
The SMART button is your "I want to interact with the environment" button. It combines the functionality of the crouch, sprint and jump buttons to make it so your character can vault, slide or climb over obstacles. The devs have said that running, jumping and crouching will still be in the game, and anything you do in SMART can be done manually with these controls. Given this, anything you do manually will get at least as good a result as SMART, if not better, depending upon the situation.

Every gameplay video has featured an objective wheel that typically has 6+ missions you can choose from and complete, which of course doesn't stop you from just manning the front lines and mowing people down.

I THINK that the objectives also change depending on which class you have. For exemple, I remember in one of the vids the player is a medic and he chooses a mission to rescue a downed player. Also, I may have imagined it, but i think that there's a mission, when you're soldier that is basically (kill stuff) and would give x amount of exp for every y seconds you are near ennemies or something like that.

FrontlinerDelta
02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I THINK that the objectives also change depending on which class you have. For exemple, I remember in one of the vids the player is a medic and he chooses a mission to rescue a downed player. Also, I may have imagined it, but i think that there's a mission, when you're soldier that is basically (kill stuff) and would give x amount of exp for every y seconds you are near ennemies or something like that.

Yeah, the side missions and stuff will change based on what class you are and some of the main objectives can only be completed with a specific class.

I haven't heard anything about the second part but I could see it being in there.

Parliamentarian
02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
OP doesn't truly understand how the SMART system actually works, or is a complete troll.

Moving along.

ActionAxiom
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Hey genius. Bethesda is the publisher not the developer, since their parent company zenimax has proprietary rights to idt4 (brink's base engine). Oh and idt4 is a great engine. If you're comparing this game to the titles bethesda has pushed out that run on a hacked together gamebryo you really are clueless.

BTW, play Mirror's Edge.

Nemesis_vs_Leon
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
To be honest, your post should be linked to at the urban dictionary definition of trolling lol.

I mean, how can you judge a game when you've not played it? And how can you criticise a game function when you admit yourself you're guessing about it?

Put it this way, if the game does have a win button, pressing it wouldn't reveal a link to your post. ;D

Judging games without playing them is easy. We're given excessive information and minds capable of doing the math. The only problem is people assuming they have the right answer instead of checking their work. Analysis + Psychology = Knowledge = Power. I'm skillful at analysis and psychology, your argument is invalid.

Medal of Honor wasn't a "big" game. All games show off to seem important to sell well. Medal of Honor is no indication of "big" games being terrible, and SMART is equal for all players rendering it a new feature not a win button.

soviet_
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
SMART looks like it could be the next big feature for multiplayer FPS games. Being able to run up walls, climb and vault in a smooth seamless way adds another dimension to tactics rather than the normal ducking behind cover, peeking around corners etc.

In a way it's a nod to the skilled movement of older games like Q3 and TFC, bunnyhopping and rocket jumping around the levels making you harder to hit, reaching places faster etc. The difference is now everyone has a chance of being able to do it and not just the most skilled players

AllTheWay
02-19-2011, 11:51 PM
SMART looks like it could be the next big feature for multiplayer FPS games. Being able to run up walls, climb and vault in a smooth seamless way adds another dimension to tactics rather than the normal ducking behind cover, peeking around corners etc.

In a way it's a nod to the skilled movement of older games like Q3 and TFC, bunnyhopping and rocket jumping around the levels making you harder to hit, reaching places faster etc. The difference is now everyone has a chance of being able to do it and not just the most skilled players

valid point

m4droxXx
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
i stopped reading after he said bethesda was developing the game.
Also, smart is just a small portion of the game, not even the most important i would say

Awesome Weegee
02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
smart isn't a win button...it's for movement, it's to tell the game what you're wanting to do and the game helps you carry out the movement task for you. The player is still the one who has to pull the trigger.